Your next home practice amp?

Interesting but a bit niche.

You just gotta love a valve amp

https://www.ashenamps.com/ahsen-bass/miley-head?fbclid=IwAR1FF6vtQ2UmOoV5WfozFiBdNQhltU2ZL9FgvQYjS151Zr4NzLuM3Y9hKkA

2 Likes

Man, for that price Iā€™d be looking at a used Little Bastard (30W) for about $100 more used. Theyā€™ve been tempting me.

1 Like

if I wanted to spend good money on a practice amp I would definitely get a Phil Jones :heart_eyes:

https://pjbworld.com/cms/index.php/product_bg-75/

1 Like

This one is really cool and sounds surprisingly good.

It does work with bass too

2 Likes

Wow it has cover tracks that can play right from the app it looks like too

1 Like

Can I hijack this thread? :grimacing: Been looking to upgrade my home practice ā€˜ampā€™ - the ā€˜mightyā€™ Blackstar Fly 3, which I mostly use with headphones for the course, but which is so underpowered itā€™s obvious that if Iā€™d ever want to hear my bass properly through a speaker, thereā€™ll need to be something better. Just get the Rumble 40, I hear? Thing is, I live in a very old shared house with no insulation, and ā€˜moving the airā€™ with an amp is something Iā€™m not sure I will be welcome to do :smiley: Because of this and some budget concerns, my gutā€™s telling me ā€˜just get the Rumble 25 firstā€™ but then again, thereā€™s also the ā€˜but wonā€™t you like the extra EQ options and more power?ā€™ Thing is, at this point in my playing Iā€™ll be more satisfied to have easy access to aux jacks than more power (jamming wonā€™t be on the cards for a while still). How crucial is the 2ā€ difference in speaker size in this scenario? Dialling down the volume would take care of things presumably?
And another thing isā€¦ is the Ampeg BA110 really that bad-sounding/made? Design-wise, itā€™s kind of ideal ā€“ kick-back/jacks out front, but if it sounds crap or the case rattlesā€¦ Iā€™ve seen Joshā€™s review recordings and the clean sound of this and the 40 seemed sort of OK to me.

OR maybe I should wait a while and check out the Ampeg Rocket series?

Decisions, decisions . . . :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, @TL . . . :slight_smile:

It IS a tough decision and thereā€™s LOTS of amp discussions all over these Forums!

I started with the Rumble 25 myself. Itā€™s perfect for practice, and itā€™s pretty inexpensive, but not quite enough power for gigging or jamming with a drummer.

It would be a good start for you: lightweight, doesnā€™t take up much room, and you could trade it in later for something else.

Cheers,
Joe

2 Likes

Thanks, I am leaning that way too - for the tiny practice space I have, itā€™s probably ample, and wonā€™t be too big an investment. Pitty the phones jack is 6.5mm, but at least itā€™s out front!

3 Likes

You could get an adapter . . . :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s one from Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPM179--hosa-gpm-179-mini-stereo-to-mono-1-4-inch-headphone-adapter

HTH and all best,
Joe

4 Likes

Unless youā€™re in a hurry, might as well take a look at the Rocket Bass Amps. Theyā€™ve already started showing up at Guitar Center if you have one near you.

1 Like

@TL i really wouldnā€™t worry about getting too big of an amp. a bigger practice amp will sound better at any volume level than a smaller one. you can turn a thousand watt amp down to a whisper if you want. what you can afford is another story.

3 Likes

As @itsratso said

I use a Rumble 100 for practice and I just turn it down.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned amp speaker sizes.
I initially had a Rumble 40 with a 10" speaker but upgrade within a couple of weeks to the 100 with a 12" speaker. The tone difference was significant plus I do small venues like churches and jam with others so the additional overhead (power) is handy.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, appreciate your input :sunglasses: I like the idea of a 10", especially that size-wise these boxes are on a par with the 8" ones, just wonder if the extra wattage wonā€™t be lost on me as I donā€™t plan to jam with anyone for a while + Iā€™ve got a small practice space with lots of neighbours around + an extra Ā£100 would be hard to justify if an 8" would cope just as well. But looping back to the start, I get why 10" makes better senseā€¦

I guess Iā€™ll just have to pull the trigger on one of them amps and get on with it. Looking at yā€™all, Iā€™ll be upgrading again by the end of the year! :grimacing:

And yes, I can probably wait and research a while more, but would rather grab something earlier rather than later - the Blackstar Fly struggles to even drive my headphones, which is a bit of pain.

Thanks again folks! Itā€™s a tough life being an absolute beginner haha!

2 Likes

The Blackstar Fly is sadly not a real amp lol. A decent amp will sound a LOT better and MUCH louder. My son got the Rumble LT25 and that thing can go pretty loud too. If you go for 12"/15" you prob need to crank the volume a bit more to make it sound good. Thatā€™s why I personally think smaller drivers are good for bedroom levelsā€¦

You can also go for a head + cab solution. For example he TC Electronics BAM 200 or Tracy Elliot Elf are great beginner heads. Used cabs are pretty cheap so maybe this is a good way to experiment with different driver sizes. Later on you can upgrade your head or cab. Thatā€™s how I started. :wink:

2 Likes

This is the truth - itā€™s not a real amp! When I started B2B two months or so ago, I got the Blackstar to mostly play over headphones, but have that ā€˜extraā€™ of a small speaker just in case, plus the portability of it. Iā€™d still keep it as a wee fun combo for around the house, but should also get something of at least 8" to hear the tones better. I wonder if the Ampeg BA-108/110 wonā€™t do just fine, I play a P bass which pairs well, and I like the incline for practiceā€¦ Although I might as well finish B2B on the Blackstar and see if I am any wiser!
Thanks again folks for your input, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey - one final conundrum (hopefully)! I never had Orange on my list, mostly because they are quite pricey even here in the UK, butā€¦ from some of the YT reviews, the Crush 50 sounds glorious, and has a funky midrange frequency control to put the mids where you want it. At the same time, a warm analogue sound too for more traditional P bass stuff. And itā€™s just as expensive as the Rumble 40 here in the UK, but comes with a 12" speaker. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m totally overdoing this starter amp thing, butā€¦ anyone has experience with the Crush 50 for home use? Decent one to ā€˜grow intoā€™ and worth the larger speaker for the money? NOT too loud (I figured by now that the difference between a 25w and a 50w would be just a few decibels but still).

There was some great advice on 12" drivers being a bit much for small spaces, so just picking your brainsā€¦ again. Thanks for your patience :grimacing:

1 Like

I really liked the orange 50 in the local music store. Definitely one of my top picks. Like you said the mids are a bit more accentuated. Other amps I tried and liked were a Markbass and Blackstar. 50 watt is fine for small spaces.

Orange has a really typical sound signature. If you want more oomph I would go for a markbass or fender.

1 Like

The size of the driver has more to do with the character of the tone than the size of the space.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve heard about that! It sounds good to me, I know it can be a quite divisive thing though! Honestly, my music taste is quite broad - rock/ 90s alternative, blues/folk, Motown, a bit of funk - so a versatile-sounding amp will be nice :slight_smile: Thank you!

1 Like

What I meant was that 12", when driven at lower power, may not be optimal. But Iā€™m probably overthinking it! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like