YouTube BLOWS - Where else can you host and link to embedded files

That’s a sample mp4 on my dropbox. I just uploaded the file to my dropbox, selected “share”, created a link to the file, copied the link to the file, and pasted it as the first line in this message.

Someone let me know if it works for viewing…

3 Likes

Yep, it works.
I will try something similar with Google drive, otherwise, I will create a new dropbox account.
Thanks

1 Like

Works perfect. Even gets embedded and not just a link.

All this copyright infringement stuff annoys me. People are keeping these older songs alive, not making money off of them. In fact, by doing this, we’re opening people’s eyes to these songs and actually making the owners of the songs money. They need to be able to tell the difference between someone monetising their songs and a learner posting a cover that is going to get 50 views and not making a dime themselves.

4 Likes

I just got a link from Google Drive.
Can you verify if this works please.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18dx2fhYWHjLa3Z16GgqObwz2llyPtruG/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Works. Not embedded though. Embedding isn’t essential though.

1 Like

You mean that you have to travel to the drive to listen to it? Instead of watching / listening to it within the post?
Do you know if there is a way to do that?

1 Like

That is driven by the forum software. It will be programmed to work with some sources and file types, but not all. Come to think of it, I think I’ve only seen embedded videos on this site and not audio only, so it might not be built for that. We should try a MP4 video on Google Drive and see what happens.

1 Like

SoundCloud audio is embedded.

I will try it, and I will create a new thread HERE for this so we can get back to AC/DC posts.

1 Like

I live just north of NYC. In this area (not sure about the rest of the country) and the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) at least, the music publishing companies have ‘copyright police’ that actually would travel to bars and listen to cover bands perform. If the band played a song that is on their music publishing company’s list (there are only a few big publishing companies at this point due to consolidation, etc) they would fine the establishment if they did not have a license. Every bar, restaurant, etc who has a band play has to pay a blanket fee (might be a set of fees to all the houses) to allow bands to then play copyrighted music.

The thought here is that the bar/restaurant is profiting by either charging a cover or increased sales by having a band perform their copyrighted music and therefore they owe the publishing company money. So they set up this blanket fee system which is thousands of dollars I think per venue, etc. To me its just nuts as the band is free advertising for the songs.

The whole thing does not make any sense. The music companies have sold their souls to Apple/Spotify/Pandora but attack the little guy.

3 Likes

Speak for yourself @JT I’ve already had a talent scout comment on my YouTube video. Nashville here I come :sunglasses:

5 Likes

As the person who created the challenge that got you noticed. I think it’s only fair that I get 10% of all future proceeds. :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly what I do, and so does @Lanny Lanny

3 Likes

Yes - @terb Laurent also posts to his own site. Having your own site to post to does eliminate the crap involved when it comes to copyright bullshit… However, if “Sharing to the World” and total exposure is what you’re after, having your own site doesn’t really meet those needs like YouTube or other social media sites do. I guess it’s all about what your fo used on… For me, I’m not out to show the world what I can do with music - I’m more focused in having an online site that shows my development that I can share with my family and friends… I also wanted a place online that would hold a bit if my personal history that my kids and grandkids could access (and have a good laugh) once I move on from planet earth!!:rofl::rofl:

Having had (and built) many personal and government websites since 1992, I have realized that it’s just another means of “personal preservation”… Having your own website (for me) is just another way to live on once I’m a rotted carcass :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes