YouTube Musicians can't play Live

All the recordings/videos I’ve done for the 50 song challenge and covers are a single take, but I was in the mindset that live I would only have 1 take. But that’s just how I chose to do it, no right or wrong in my book. If I was a professional YouTuber, I would do the easiest or whatever technique would produce the results I was looking for.

3 Likes

Most all of mine are one take.
There is one that is not, I think it is 3.
A couple more I will go in and clean up a note or two of audio hear and there (when I learned how to use this feature in Abelton).

There is one other that I simply played (but did not record) over my recorded audio to see if anyone would notice.
Most all sax player videos on YouTube are prerecorded, its a thing, and I had no idea.
One of my covers with sax was prerecorded, the other two were live.

I sleep pretty well at night despite the above. Lol.

3 Likes

Yep, throwing in a dissolve transition can smooth jump cuts somewhat, but any edit from a single camera position is discernible, particularly if it includes a restart or punch-in edit such as in a performance demo.

Dissolve edits used to require a video engineer to operate an A-roll playback tape deck and a B-roll tape deck, plus a third deck to record the transitions to a master tape. All this was done with carefully timed button-pushing, manual work at the instructions of a director, and with a client watching the whole schmear. No pressure at all. :roll_eyes:

I sure was glad when digital editing came of age and I could leave all that in the past.

A few (now famous) bands recorded an album in one take because they didn’t had the money to book the studio and sound engineer for a whole day. If I recall correctly Lemmy said something about this in his bio. :laughing:

2 Likes

Kinga (polis for amazing apparently) taking a cut once in a while and can play live too.

@kristine - apparently a violin exercise!

3 Likes

Good Lord…this lady is awesome!

3 Likes

The most fun a person can have with a bass in 2 minutes……

https://youtu.be/hPPwJRWCbHE

4 Likes

She and Rhett Shull are two of the most annoying and just plain average YT musicians in the Rick Beatto circle of “friends”.

Chris Buck is an amazing YTer and fantastic live musician too! Its time for Friday Fretworks :grinning:

Kinga is one of my favourite bassists; she’s awesome!

2 Likes

I know I’m late to the party, again, lot of that these days, but you think Pink Floyd got that sound without a lot of overdubs? Not everyone is a Black Sabbath (recorded their debut album in 12 hours), nor should they be.

Look at Enya or Prince, who played a lot of the instruments on their recordings.

Nothing new or anything to care about. It’s why we have live and studio albums

3 Likes

Exactly!

There’s nothing wrong with doing it either way. But neither way is more “legit.”

I actually look at it the other way. Music production is a lot of work, once you move beyond backing tracks and are mixing multiple instrument tracks and vocals. At that point, cheating is a virtue. The more time and effort you can save on one part, the more you can put in to other parts.

Like, I can punch in retakes of one part a few times to fix a problematic part, and often do, or I can just copy/paste from a good section over it in five seconds. Neither is better or more legit. Both are me playing the instrument.

Even taking this to extremes is fun. With the current state of modern music production tools, you could make an entire bassline by playing a single note, copying it to the beats you want it on, and pitch shifting it where needed to make an awesome bassline, requiring almost no instrumental skill. Would that be bad or good? The answer to that is the same as the answer to “was the resulting song bad or good?”

The entire question of if someone’s recording/video/whatever is “legit” seems so bizarre to me. Such a thing would never occur to synth players or producers. As a concrete example, Deadmau5 famously has never been a skilled keyboardist and has little musical training, and yet I would boggle pretty hard at someone questioning if this was a “fraud”:

And of course live is completely a different story. Playing live is a lot of fun, and if you haven’t done it, it’s worth a try because there’s few feelings like it. It’s like the opposite of recording/production, at least how I see it.

1 Like

The working title of this song was Solo, but it ended up being called Frankenstein according to Edgar because they ended up splicing so many pieces from so many takes it was like, well building Frankenstien

https://youtu.be/65XSHM3jlAY

Even with the old tools they did it

3 Likes

I will also add in my late teens early 20s I was very much into the Alan Parsons Project. Alan is one of the great engineers, and I am a long time fan of his production. Not just Dark Side of the Moon, which he was like 21 when he engineered it

Production is as much an art as performing. Like you said, neither is more legit.

2 Likes

Some beatles songs took over 100 takes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but you can see this in many genres, look at stage plays vs movies; im sure that the many tv and movie actors would perform poorly on a live stage.

On Hysteria, Def Leppard recorded individual notes and put them together in post.

On Boston’s first album Tom Scholz played/recorded/mixed almost all of it himself, in his basement.

Les Paul (who invented multi-tracking) used to take his recording gear to different places and record songs with his wife in rooms or hallways that had certain acoustics he liked.

I love this video of Davie playing a part that Deadmau5 said was technically impossible :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had read this too and meant to follow up to get the whole story. I believe it. It’s inevitable that some band would have done this.

There are several interviews with Phil Collen where he talks about it and several YT videos where people take a look at how Mutt Lange did it.

This is the first video I ever saw about it.

Maybe they’re a bit modest…

Hey, you know, one take, many takes, YouTube, full studio… they’re all doing more than I am, so… well done. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are different forms of musical goals. Some people aim to become stellar performers, others lean toward the studio/production world and try to make a performance that’s a reflection of their best work. Both have validity in different ways and are awesome as long as they’re not disingenuous IMO!

Title is pure clickbait. There is a lots of musicians at youtube and im pretty sure there is many who can play live aswel.