YouTube Musicians can't play Live

I stumbled across this very provocative video, which I found very interesting since I’ve done so many cover videos on my website. Many of us here have recorded and posted our covers in the Post your Covers thread, so I thought you’d be find it interesting (and very provocative) as well.

7 Likes

Yep, someone posted this video (and deleted it, for some reason) earlier this week.

Of course, there are tons of people who do play live on video, even if it’s a multi-cam production setup. Just because something is edited doesn’t necessarily mean the final cut was stitched together from different takes.

2 Likes

I don’t find this provocative at all. Anyone that criticizes others for not making videos or any other recording live in one take is, simply, missing the point.

Music production is not a performance contest. Recording and performing are entirely different activities, and with recording, the finished product is all that matters. That means lots of takes.

Anyone that thinks their music heros typically record their albums or videos in one take is one deluded mofo :slight_smile:

The only issue I take with her is that she thinks this is new with youtube. This is how it has been since the advent of multitrack recording to tape. 60 years minimum, probably longer.

13 Likes

I didn’t get the impression she states that edited or multi-take videos are fraudulent, but rather that its a common perception. This is why I say it’s provocative, because she can easily be taken the wrong way.

2 Likes

It provoked you, didn’t it? :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Hee hee hee

4 Likes

While it is certainly not typical in pop or rock genres and sub-genres, many greats, particularly blues and jazz greats, have indeed recorded albums live in one take. Not to mention classical greats.

2 Likes

Oh it’s definitely been done. It’s just not typical, nor is it a virtue.

1 Like

It sure is a talent.

2 Likes

Nah, not really. I’ve been pretty vocal with this opinion for years :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s talent, but talent equivalent to playing a live set. You don’t get bonus points for recording that way. (well, it would save you some money, but it’s not like the record sells better because of it)

1 Like

My actual point is/was that many people do record live to video on YouTube, whether or not they employ multiple cameras or elaborate editing of said cameras. To the casual observer, that fact might not be obvious, but some very talented players can do it.

As far as saving money in the studio or getting more record sales as a result of live take recordings in the studio, there is no point system to be gamed or lost. It just happens. A lot. And there is magic in experiencing a live performance of artistry and virtuosity. Even if that live experience is captured in the studio.

But much ado about not much.

Indeed, people have recorded multiple takes in the studio for many decades, and some truly amazing results have stunned and elevated the world.

I appreciate both approaches for very different reasons.

1 Like

She forgot catagory 4 - people who don’t even make the music to begin with…

7 Likes

That’s why they look so very happy. :rofl:

1 Like

And they have to return their hair pieces by 5pm or it’s another day’s rental. Dammit!

1 Like

It’s not easy to record yourself playing vs playing without camera or DAWs. It’s difficult to get to the subconscious level and just play. You try way too hard. The option of stop and restart is just too great to pass, and it’s a very addictive habit. It’s a very steep learning curve to be able to play subconsciously in this environment.

Playing live on the other hand is another animal altogether. You’d feel like Flea at Woodstock 99, but once you are over that initial feeling of rush, it’s do or die and more time than not you’d pull it off better than your expectations. This is also very addictive. I love playing live.

I wonder how many takes this took. Lol.

4 Likes

During one of Mark Smith’s live-hangs, someone asked him if there were any videos of him playing live. Mark answered with a laugh that he would not want his flubs to be recorded for posterity. I’m sure his demonstrations during his courses require a few takes and some serious editing

4 Likes

Playing live is indeed something I have really fun memories of. But these days, I’m happy in my little home studio :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Mark’s lesson lectures for his free videos and even his course videos are full of jump cuts (also called butt cuts in video post-production jargon, where an editor’s not concerned with having a clip not flow seamlessly into an adjacent clip).

But I’ve never seen an edit in his demo playing videos. There are a lot of videos where he hits a clam or otherwise makes a flub while demo’ing. He sometimes laughs it off when he does, but he mostly blows past it and continues with his lecture patter.

2 Likes

I just call them “Jump cuts” Davinci Resolve has a handy transition effect I use to smooth them out, so they are barely noticeable.

1 Like