Zeromod thumb rest for stingray?

Using the humbucker as a thumb rest on my stingray doesn’t feel right.
The zeromod thumb rest looks like the right place.
Any experience with this?
It looks like it might interfere with slapping - when I learn how to slap - does it?
Whadaya think?

5 Likes

No experience with the Zero-Mod, but just looking at pics it probably won’t interfere with slapping if you use the thumb-up technique. It does look like it would definitely get in the way if you use thumb-down slapping.

Also just my opinion – for anyone just learning bass I’d recommend a conservative approach to using this kind of accessory as it can make your technique somewhat dependent on it. The more you play, the more your thumb naturally finds the right place to rest and it eventually becomes something you don’t have to actively think about.

2 Likes

They sell these for UKEs, but they basically can be stuck on anything and anywhere you want
I use it on my U Bass. There are 3-4 different shapes in the pack and work great.
Doesn’t damage finish either.

2 Likes

I bought my Stingray used. A previous owner already put a thumbrest it. I like it well enough and wouldn’t expect it to be an issue for slapping (I do little to no slapping myself so what do I know?).

5 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know about those, not a fan of how it looks
I have a Sub4 and at first the thumb resting was a bit awkward but I got used to it

2 Likes

I use floating thumb technique to help mute the strings. Or rest my thumb on the string I’m not playing. I was getting lots of unwanted noise from other strings. So I’ve being using this technique. That’s just my two cents. :beers:

4 Likes

I’ve got Zero-Mod thumbrests on all of my basses - I like them a lot. It’s nice that they attach securely using existing holes - no drilling required.

They’re a little pricey, but that is because they are machined to close tolerances.

I don’t slap at all, so I don’t know if it would get in the way or not.

2 Likes

Got a zeromod on the Rickenbacker which works well even using the floating thumb technique but again I don’t slap .

1 Like

I am surprised I haven’t seen @howard mention that had you bought a Yamaha TRBX 304 the thumbrest is built into the humbucker cover and this would not be a problem :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

@BigAl

+1 for floating thumb.

2 Likes

That is kind of a neat touch they added, yeah

2 Likes

@howard

But they took the humbucker thumbrest away on the 504.
I guess with different pickups on the 504 they forgot or something.

1 Like