Zoom B1 Four & electronic background noise

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

I have a pretty simple set up; the bass guitar running into a Zoom B1 Four, then into a small practice amp (so two cables).

If I run the bass straight into the practice amp using either cable, all is quiet, from an electronic noise / hiss perspective. When I run through the Zoom, I am getting electronic background noise / hiss. If I touch the cable jack (into or out of the pedal) the noise disappears… I assume that with me touching the jack, I am earthing it (…?).

Any ideas regarding what I can do to get rid of the noise on a more permanent basis?

2 Likes

How are you powering the Zoom?

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds like a floating ground between the zoom and the amp.

3 Likes

Probably a bit messy: adapter plugged into an extension cable…

2 Likes

Have you got some batteries to put in the Zoom to try. That way you can eliminate the power supply from the fault finding.

4 Likes

I like to keep my instrument cables from overlapping any power cables if I can help it.

1 Like

Try plugging it into the wall directly as well as using batteries and see if you get different resultes with each, also try unplugging the HP power thingy next to it

1 Like

Battery next; cheap wall warts can easily add noise. And I love zoom but their power adapters are just that - inexpensive :slight_smile:

(they are actually my go-to when I need a cheap wall wart)

2 Likes

Plug the Zoom and the amp into the same wall outlet/extension cord.

2 Likes

I put some batteries in it last light. That quietened it down a bit, so there is clearly an issue with the cheap power supply / how I am getting power to it (the trial of cables)…

Thanks!

2 Likes

I agree that the power supply may well be part of the issue, especially after I put batteries in the pedal and it quietened it down a little…

1 Like

Good call, I do have then all a bit tangled up! I also think one of the cable is a bit noisy, despite being inly 3 or 4 weeks old :frowning:

2 Likes