Zoom effects processors

I always built mine from scratch and I only ever used the thing in stomp mode, I did not use the preset patches much.

As for the individual effects, I would rank them from best to worst:

Compressors: all I tried were great.
Amp/Cab Sims: Tied with the compressors for #1, these are mostly awesome and are very useful.
Modulation effects: Mostly good, the choruses are great (really liked the Corona tri-chorus model), some of the others were a bit noisy (but so are the real pedals). I didn’t play with the filters enough but they seemed cool. The Octavers were good actually, IIRC.
Distortion/Overdrive: The raw fuzz effects (like the Big Muff model) are ok but the overdrives did not please me much at all. I like my real Big Muff more than the model but at least the fuzz was passable.

I didn’t do much with the synthbass or auto-wah. Not really my thing.

4 Likes

Compressor, amp and cab sim take up three :slight_smile:

Generally I always had a compressor and amp/cab sim going. Then usually I would have a chorus and fuzz that I toggled with the footswitches. Even that simple chain made me really, really appreciate the B3n layout over the smaller Zooms. It’s just so much better to be able to tweak three sets of parameters at a time.

It’s not as good as a real pedalboard but it’s a much nicer UI than the smaller multis.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s one of the reasons I got the multi effects pedal, primarily for compression, so I can tweak it at the same time as amp / Cab and chorus (one at a time on the B1four). So I am jazzed to have that pedal for sure. In fact, If I like it that much, I could see getting another if it were to pop up for sale for $40 or less.

Ther, I said it, now one will pop up for sale. A bass one, there are already guitar ones for sale. Haha

Yes, I only ever used thepresets to study, and see how they were put together, as in, what order, plus seeing how they were set up / tweaked in.

Compression, why do they have to be so noisy. That’s one thing I hate about them, But I think ai will get a better handle on it in the multi stomp then the B1four.

Also, I was thinking about a noise suppressor or Gate. I personally feel they will only be good if you can loop the chain thru it instead of it just being inline. The Boss, or the TCElectronics is what I am thinking about mostly.
There is a Boss for $60 on Offer Up. If I decide I want it, I will offer $40
Or, I have a pedal I am returning to Amazon (I think, gotta get the multi Comp first) and a
stupid Hum eliminator I tested out, so I have enuf in credit for the TCE Sentry Noise Gate in credit.
What are your thoughts on these @howard, and anybody else with knowledge or experience with these pedals, or any noise gate pedals.

3 Likes

I have a noise gate on my Battalion but I never use it. It’s not a very good noise gate though.

The B1four has one built in you can use (I don’t think the MS-60B does though).

You probably want to play with the MS-60B a while before you buy a second one. It’s got three problems that prevented me from ever getting one:

• It is getting old, and uses the older (B1on/B3-era) effects models, which aren’t as good in general as the B1four/B3n
  • Its bypass apparently has noticeable tone suck (the B1on did too but not enough to really bother me at the time, so this might be livable)
  • Apparently its UI is clumsy in actual use (though Tonelib Zoom would help a lot with this)

On the other hand, it has the perfect form factor, so if those things don’t turn out too bad then it seems like a killer addition.

4 Likes

Tone suck would be bad, but could you overcome that with a boost pedal? Sure, it’s adding more pedals, but would it in effect, help to cancel it out?

Yes, I did get this one for a specific reason, a compressor, and it is supposed to do that very well, same as the B1four.

I get it’s getting old, but some of the best pedals are original and have not changed in forever, if not ever.

If it’s clumsy, I can see that as a problem, but more so if you are trying to chain effects in it instead of useing it like a stand alone pedal.

That said, I agree @howard, I will have to get it and play with it and see if I even like it before buying more.

But still, if I were to get another at a great price, I could still flip it for a $20 profit. The add I bought it off said

“Brand new, I bought it about 6 months ago and it did not work for my set up”

I could take the $30 pedal and advertise it right and easy get $50-$60, so I always have that to fall back on. :joy::joy::joy::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

3 Likes

You can find a great example of what to expect from a high end noise gate here.

Whether you like Glen Fricker or not, he did manage to bring a pretty nice pedal to market. If you want more examples, there are more on his channel.

2 Likes

This is true. However, I do not use any cab sims, and also, I consider fuzz to be the devil incarnate for bass. I will use the compressor in most any case, but that’s about it.

I’m convinced that, beyond a certain point, the more knobs and buttons I have, the bigger the window of opportunity for me to screw up a perfectly good sound.
On top of that, if I have to choose between fidgeting with gizmos or practicing, I know which activity is going to improve the sound of me playing the bass best.

4 Likes

You might want to reconsider that when recording; the bass will sound a lot less flat and more natural through the DAI with a cab sim.

4 Likes

Well, here’s the thing: I don’t use a DAI. I record from my amplifier. :laughing:

4 Likes

Same thing applies to the studio 40’s audio interface :slight_smile:

But obviously not to using a mic on a speaker of course.

4 Likes

does anybody here grow tired of the zoom processed sound?
for some reason i cant listen too it for too long, than i feel the need to hear my bass directly from my amp again

3 Likes

If I would listen to patch #39 too long… yes, definitely.
However, I have a very conservative patch that I use as my default.

3 Likes

As do I…

2 Likes

Okay folks, I was overcome by GAS and ordered this. It’s expected arrival is Friday. I’ll be selling my Zoom B1X Four if anyone is interested.
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/effects-preamps/bass/zoom-b3n-multi-effects-processor-bass#downloads

P.S. I caught hell (ASL version) from my deaf spouse, Sara for ordering this. I told her to take it up with @howard since he’s the one who got me interested in this.

5 Likes

Where did you get your Zoom B1x-four @PamPurrs? Due to Covid, extended return policies are still in effect. You could possibly / probably return it for a full refund.

I beleive I got my B1four before you, and my return date just passes on May 31st. That was amazon. GC and others had even longer return dates, up to 6 months.

Just a thought, get full value for it.

2 Likes

I got it on Amazon in September of 2019. It’s well past the return window.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, way past. For some reason I thought you bought it while I was on the forum, guess not then. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Maybe you’re thinking of the Zoom U-44 (DAI) which I just got recently.

2 Likes

Yeah, I knew that one, I benefitted off that purchase, (thanks much), like someone will off this one. Now I only need to ask myself @PamPurrs, do I want to upgrade to the “x” model???

Let. E ask you, how often do you use the expression pedal, do you find it to be a “must have” feature?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say “Must Have”, but it sure is handy and fun. I’m able to play around with the effects, making them fade in and out at various times. Mostly, I use it to mute the bass when I take a break so it doesn’t make a bunch of racket when I put it on the stand :guitar: :ear:

2 Likes