Zoom effects processors

One last important thing or two that I forgot to mention.
three actually
1 - Power
2 - Processing
3 - memory

The Zoom takes up a 500ma slot in a power bank.
not a big deal in and of itself.
Processing and memory.
The patches start off with an empty slate have so much space to load effects, amps, and cabs too. Some fo the effects take up way more space then the others, so you get limited to how and what you can chain together.
In real life pedals, you might not or don’t always have these limitations.
Also
the patches have so much processor allocation.
Some effects use way more processor then others

The power, memory and processor can become an issue because, 1, you may not be allowed to create a chain you are trying to, or 2, you might run out of allocated memory and not be able to finish a chain, and 3, your chain may not sound like a real chain because the processor is taxed, and the power can get taxed (In extreme cases where it is sharing a power block that is getting taxed at the time, etc…) and the sound you would get in a real chain is altered based on some effects getting more processor and not enough is left for the other effects

This is extreme examples for the most part. many times when this happens slightly, you may never notice it, but you may totally notice it.
It might take having the Zoom side by side with the same chain of pedals to notice the difference,
or
you may not like the patch you create, and not know why, but this is what is going on.

BTW, this can happen to an extent with real pedals on a power block that is maxing out the power it can output as well.

Sorry for the scattered explanation.
I don’t tell it as well as some other people who are better at explaining with the proper terminology, or accurate description of the issues, I just get it out in a post the best way I can explain.

Hope it makes sense

2 Likes

I will move back to basses when that happens, or on to amps

3 Likes

Amp and Cab models take A LOT of processor power from what I have read.
I am not sure about memory however, if they are anything like, or actually are IR files, I think they are relatively small

2 Likes

If you do decide to get one, get a TS9B (the bass version) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the GAS @howard.

4 Likes

Yean, that’s has more options for BASS then some of the copies that are after the guitar model.
would be nice for some to copy the Bass version :thinking:

2 Likes

So many of the Zoom’s models are great - especially compressors, amp/cab sims, and modulation, but TBH the distortions did not wow me.

Distortion and overdrive is the one thing I just didn’t like about my Zooms. It’s what led me to start buying real pedals.

Just saying this might be a slippery slope :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, and I’m fearful if I buy this tube screamer pedal, it will be a gateway drug to more pedals.

Slippery slope, indeed

6 Likes

I’m curious about this TS9b @howard and perhaps you can answer this question.

The difference seems to be the addition of the bass, mid, and treble knobs. Couldn’t one use the plain TS9 (or sim) and control those things with the amp or eq on an active bass? :thinking:

4 Likes

an EQ don’t sound the same depending on where it is located

6 Likes

Yeah, additionally, that one is better simply thought of as tone controls for the pedal itself; I’d use it mainly to help counter the low-end loss from the TS, but not to EQ my whole bass tone.

4 Likes

I hate GAS!!! @howard it’s your fault.

I called my local music store and got my bass guy on the phone. He always takes good care of me. I asked him if they have an Ibanez TS9B in the store, or perhaps can order one. He put me on hold and went to check (I was secretly hoping he would say no).
He came back on the phone after a few minutes, and told me he had one in his hand (Damn!)
I asked him what he could do for a nice lady, regular customer, army veteran. He laughed and said “I knew that was coming, let me get my calculator out”. (I was secretly hoping he would demand full price for it).
After a few tapping sounds on his calculator, he gave me a killer price (Damn again!)
Sensing that he had someone with a serious case of GAS on the line, he dug the hook in even deeper. “I’ll put it on my desk so you can come in Monday and demo it”.

I’m screwed!

9 Likes

Now you’re in the sh*t @howard :joy:

Can someone throw me a line please? I seem to be slipping down this slippery slope :scream:

5 Likes

I need to have you order my next pedal thru your bass guy. :wink:

3 Likes

Zoom G11 just came out, looks awesome.

Nothing new for bass.

Especially cool feature, dedicated knobs and display for the amp sim.

Also it’s a DAI. No DI out though.

4 Likes

Do they often release guitar models first, then bring the bass module a little later, or have the introduced them together in the past?

4 Likes

They often release guitar models and do nothing for bass :slight_smile:

Like, there still isn’t a B5n or a MS-70b

5 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: This is the story for most of the music industry.

4 Likes

The MS-70 is for Bass or Guitar, it is a modulation pedal. it is the MS-79CDR
C-Chorus
D-Delay
R-Reverb

It still has amp and cab sims, but it it really just a multi modulation pedal

the B5n on the other hand, yeah, they missed that one

4 Likes

I do think they had a MS-70G, but it was discontinued. it was blutooth, and there must have been issues with glitches and it not working, and they couldn’t fix it, so tehy pulled it.
Of course that is just a guess, cuz it looked like a cool pedal, but they discontinued, and as far as I know, they have not added blutooth to any other multi efffects unit. Unless they now have it on the this new unit.

3 Likes