Zoom effects processors

The lack of a B5n is a notorious gap.

4 Likes

same old same old. i’m sure they sell a hundred guitar pedals for every 10 bass ones. so we get the short end of the stick. can’t blame them, it’s the market. edit: woops you already said the same thing above :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

That G11 does look cool.
If I were a touring, or Gigging at least, artist, and I could get what I WANTED out of a unit like that, I would be so freaking happy to not have to lug around the pedal board, and with all the patch cords, and all the power cables and all that stuff, it would be just short of a life saver.
IF
I could bet the sound I wanted, with no compromise, would be geat. And I am not saying I couldn’t, just saying I wouldn’t accept compromise if I were a pro.

I am not an expert with sound or effects by any means, but
IME with guitar sounds, for me, I was alot less picky about my effects, and I had a Digitech RP1 back when they first came out, and I lOVED that thing, I didn’t use a single pedal, I used that, and to be exact, I used about 4 presets on it, all the time, and that was it, but I was playing strictly thrash metal, and going for the “DimeBag” Crunch sound. I played the other presets based on the cover song we played, if it were punk, I backed off the crunch and OD, or hard rock, just the OD, but hat uint was great.
And
With playing bass, I am alot more picky with the effect sound, like the rest of us, and I find the multi to be compromising in some aspects, so in the same situation, if I were gigging, I would not be able to use the Zoom multi’s as a substitute for a pedal board. there might be other things like Line-6, Helix, etc… that I could use over a pedalboared, but the current Zoom, no.
But if they had a unit like say, a B11 that you could use as substitute, I would consider it, and be happy if it did the trick.

However, I would not give up my pedalboard ever. I would keep it in home studio, and probably still purchase some padals along the way,
I would use it to find sounds I want, like see whats possible with new pedals and whatnot, and then see if I can get the B11 to do the same.
Plus
I love pedals, just moving them all over could be a pain.

It could be a cyclical progression, that never ends.

Start with Multi, invaluable tool to learn what effects are and how to chain them
Advance to Pedals and full pedal boards
Advance back to multis, recreating what pedalboards can do, until they can’t again
Advance back to pedalboards til the next gen multi’s catch up.

with digital, at some point you think it would level out
But then again, thre will always be something new, there has to be, or the companies go dead.

Plus, as a guitar player, I could see (me, in my opinion) learning and staying on the advanced multi’s they have out, and it working out just fine.

2 Likes

The pricing on it is unfortunate. Sorry Zoom, I love you, but for that price I am getting a Line6.

3 Likes

How much is it?

2 Likes

I like that touch screen panel with the drag and drop effects in the patch

lots of patch space and IR space

2 Likes

About $800 here.

3 Likes

Wow. Well, I mean, it can do alot. My pedalboard cost a damn lot. LOL, I have a $400 pedal on it (course I didn’t pay that)

While I got you @howard, and @PamPurrs, this is for you too, because you guys have and use the specific products I am asking about, and we are in a ZOOM thread.

Can you please tell me what I could do with a Zoom U-24 or U-44 DAI that I can 't do with a Zoom U-22.

I mean, I know it is MIDI in / out. What do you use this for, What am I missing out on by not having that capability. What do you do with this feature?

Why does my iMac always say MIDI CONTROLLER FOUND everytime I turn it on, if it is not MIDI?

Are there any other DAI out there that would be a better upgrade then going to the ZOOM? If you were going to upgrade yours, what wouldl you get?

2 Likes

There’s a ton of DAI’s out there. Not sure what I would upgrade to TBH.

I use the MIDI for a MIDI keyboard controller and my drum machine. If you don’t want these then you don’t need MIDI, unless you get a MIDI controller pedal or something.

The advantage of the U-24 and 44 over the 22 is the much more flexible inputs and outputs. Tons of line in and out options on them. The U-22 just has one. The U-24 has two ins and multiple outs. The U-44 has two more ins with a modular system to select the input type.

2 Likes

OK.
I am looking more at quality vs quantity, and MIDI.
I don’t know much about MIDI. I think pedal controllers are interesting, I don’t know a thing about them, but I would like to learn some.
But
The gain and volume dials on this just seem kind of flimsy and I am curious if I can get better results if I upgrade.

Also, what type of things, pedal and pedalboard related, are MIDI, and how can I use them?

I have to run my daughter to her place, I wil be back in a bit to hear about it. thanke

1 Like

Very few pedalboard related things for guitar are MIDI.

Some pedals can use a MIDI signal to control aspects of the pedal. Some pedals output MIDI based on the signal in. But in general it’s not something you need to really worry much about just for bass. I don’t use it with my pedalboard at all.

MIDI is primarily for controlling digital musical instruments (including virtual instruments in DAWs) and receiving data from them.

2 Likes

So, then, for quality, is there a reason to upgrade from the U-22, or will it do just as good a job recording from my bass, and pedalboard as any other?
What about features in the DAW, GB or any other DAW. is there things that other DAI’s can do with DAW features that the U-22 can not?

Quality-wise for just recording the big things you want to look for are latency, ADC quality, and noise.

There are undoubtedly better DAIs for these things than the Zooms, but the Zooms are not bad, and unless you are hitting a roadblock there then there’s little reason to move on from a quality perspective. And the U-2x line should all be similar there, differing mostly in flexibility. I could not get by with a U-22 due to my needs for multiple inputs and outputs, but you are probably fine.

MIDI will be a factor if you start using MIDI instruments, and not otherwise. You could also get a separate MIDI interface or use USB midi controllers. It does not have to be on the DAI.

Audio interface features and interfacing with DAWs vary very widely. There are full mixing boards with extensive DAW controls on them connecting to the computer over USB audio interfaces, as an extreme. Depends on what you want.

1 Like

Yeah, not thinking about MIDI, although, I am sure these will have MIDI, I am talking about quality.
So which models, not getting crazy with features and price, but just based around the quality interfacing with the DAW mostly, are out there?

1 Like

There’s tons.

I think most of the lower priced ones (like the Zoom) will be similar in quality for the three things I mentioned.

Stepping up, a lot of people seem to like Audient’s more expensive lines. I’ve never used them.

A lot of people seem to like Focusrite’s stuff like the Scarlett, but TBH to me those look roughly the same level as the Zooms. Maybe a slight improvement but that’s far from guaranteed.

Lots of Line6 gear has audio interfaces built in.

there’s really a lot of choices.

1 Like

Any that are better for incorporating video

That’s actually a good question. The answer is technically yes, but with the caveat being that for that you are probably looking at a vastly more expensive proposition, basically for an integrated video editing console.

I am not aware of any inexpensive audio interfaces with significant positive impact on video recording over the ones we’re discussing. Might exist but I haven’t seen them. All audio interfaces are good for video recording. Most youtubers probably use Focusrite 2i2’s. It has no additional features for video.

1 Like

Ok, I don’t really know what I am going to do to get going with video, and I know that is seperate until I want to merge the two, but as long as I know that there is not an inexpensive way to record thr the same interface, at the same time, the viedo and audio, I won’t be thinking of that when I am wondering weather to upgrade or not.

At this point, I am thinking I am good with the U-22.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like

Ok, I couldn’t let it rest, and I started reading articles in Reverb about DAI;s and how to pick DAI’s.
So, now I know the right question to ask.
What DAI will have a better pre amp then the zoom? I could be way off base here, but I think this is the part I was thinking is an issue.

Playing stingrays is a little different IME when going into lower watt amps, and if the gain stage can’t handle it, it will distort the signal no matter what. this was the case with my Orange Crush 20b amp. I could not set it at any level where it would not distort the signal.
I am curious if my saturation issues and any recording issues (yes, I can get it better with better settings in GB) could be solved with a DAI with a better Pre-amp
Again, I could be totaly off here, I am just learning about this stuff, so if I am wrong, just LMK, but if there is any chance a better pre-amp could help my issues, I would like to hear about it.

Like I was reading about Berhinger (not saying that is what I will get), but they have MIDAS pre-amp and reading about them, sounded like they were good. course that could just be marketing, but IDK, are they good? are they better then what is in the Zoom?
Zoom doesn’t say anything abou the pre-amp other then it has one.

Also, The article was saying how you would want headphone out on the DAI. Ok, I get that you want headphones when recording, but why would you want it on the DAI, and not just out of the computer where you can hear your tracks and everything else instead of just your instrument?
Or are they assuming you are using AUX in, and playing your song or backing track thru the DAI, so you are hearing it at this stage instead of in the computer?

2 Likes