Zoom effects processors

I would add to make sure that the USB cable is a data cable, not one of the “safe” power-only charging cables.

I go caught this way.

6 Likes

I had some noise issue using the Micro USB connection for power. Usually those adapters are quite noisy all over the spectrum.

I have found out that using 9V DC input is much less noisy!

!ATTENTION! : What I did is not for everyone you might loose warranty of your product if you break it doing this…

I noticed that the Zoom B14 9V DC input is reversed as in the outer shell is +9V while the inside pin is 0V (GND) . While most DC adapters we have here in EU are the opposite polarity. So…

I checked out the Voltage and Current levels of the recommended power adapter (Which costs 15€ on Amazon),

So I just found any old 9V DC adapter with correct current rating and connector shape which had reverse polarity and “corrected” the cable on the adapter by cutting it and reversing the connection. Also used isolation tape to secure them in place…

Again if this is not something that you are used to doing, simply don’t do it!

4 Likes

The Zoom is center-negative because nearly all effects pedals are center-negative. because pedalboard power taps are almost all center-negative.

Which is also why it doesn’t come with a power supply unless you order it in the bundle they offer with a power supply :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah I was suspecting that. I don’t have any other pedals yet…

5 Likes

Fender Rumble Studio 40 has the same unity volume discrepencies, agree it would be nice to have a ‘unity volume setting’ on these devices if you wanted to engage.

3 Likes

I was not aware of this.
I use my phone’s Micro USB cable all the time to transfer data to and from my phone and computer and have never had an issue.

2 Likes

Yes, but you see you’re not an idiot, unlike the undersigned, who is :smiley:

Elsewise, you probably don’t have a safety charging usb cable (power only, for charging at public stations or for use with USB-charged toys like mine).

Anyways, the warning should have been that if you plug it it, it powers up but can’t connect to the Zoom box, then check your cable.

5 Likes

@MC-Canadastan

This just made my day - Thank You :rofl:

Exactly, Just plain common sense.

1 Like

I found the Zoom B1 Four sitting on A=445 … Now it works just fine I will edit the original message as well… Thanks again howard!

6 Likes

Been thinking of picking up the Zoom B1 Four for silent practice (bass in, headphones out, and aux in to play along to tracks etc). I’m yet to acquire a decent practice amp, but given that I will mostly use it with headphones anyway (thin walls, lots of neighbours), I feel I might be better served exploring different amp sims through this much smaller, cheaper and portable pedal; I know if I did get an amp, I won’t be turning the volume up much, which makes me wonder if going ampless won’t be a better option altogether (plus, the Zoom pedals seem to come in handy with amps too, if/when I do acquire one). My main question is, to those who’ve used the output jack for headphones, how has this been for you in practice? The headphones I use are fairly low-impedance at 18Ohm, and the pedal’s output is rated at 32Ohm, so… I guess that would work? Getting bogged down in settings is another thing, but it can’t be this complicated… right? :smiley:

5 Likes

Don’t let the first reply you receive cloud your opinions but my initial impressions with this pedal using as a standalone practice tool were on the negative side…

I have found that the output for the bass is quite low out of the box meanwhile I was able to hear the integrated Rythm box and the aux input just fine. Then I started playing around with the patches (especially adding amp and cabin simulators and compressors) and got it to “decently audiable” levels for me but at that point if I connect to an amp they become too loud…

So I believe out of the box the thing is setup to be used with an amp… Over all it is a neat little thing which I still use to this day in parallel to my amp (Effects Send Return Jacks) and it is good for trying out different effects before you buy the pedals as well…

Over all it is not a bad purchase for its price… For your particular use case if you are not interested in all the other things the B1 Four does like Tuner, looper, Rythm box etc I suggest a headphone amp instead… For which I have Vox Amplug2 Bass (again lots of mixed reviews on that as well)

4 Likes

I use it all the time and have had no issues with volume. If it got any louder I’d be worried about hearing loss over time.

7 Likes

@TL I got a b1four its a great little pedal for the price… I didnt find a problem with volume. The presets are great and a good starting point for beginners… The cons for me were just the set up and this might not bother you… It was just the hassle of plugging everything in the instrument, the heaphones and the aux for playback I just felt surrounded by wires… So I tried the Nux mighty air which might solve you wanting a practice amp too its very small but adequately loud enough for practice. Everything is wireless the guitar heaphones and aux and works perfectly… The reason i couldnt get on with it was the effects and cab sims they just werent good enough the b1four sounded much better but it might be worth checking if you are not too bothered by that.

5 Likes

No problems with headphone volume here either…

6 Likes

Lots of people on the B2B forum use the Zoom B1 four or B1X four, yours truly as well.

I have a pair of decent cheap earphones and the zoom box works just great.

That said, some settings work better with an amp, some better with headphones.

8 Likes

Back in October I actually also had a discussion with Zoom on this subject… My argument was to show that B1 Four was not amplifying the bass signal at all…

If you are interested you can take a look at the e mail and response here

In short terms their response was that Zoom B1 Four wasn’t supposed to be amplifying the signal at all…

Actually same goes for most of the DAI units. If you want higher volume either you need to setup your DAW on your PC… When I used the Scarlet Solo only through monitor headphone output without the DAW the volume was too low for me… So I have changed for Motu M2 which has amplification on the phones output…

I agree with most if the comments here about hearing loss but I particularly like playing lightly on an amplified signal as well…

Maybe I should train my ears for lower volumes…

4 Likes

Maybe it’s your headphones?

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking as well… I definitely can’t turn up the master volume on the B1, which in true Spinal Tap style goes up to 120, all the way up to its maximum. And that’s with a passive bass. Either it’s the headphones, or the unit is defective I think.

5 Likes

Using 180 ohms headphones will have a significant effect on the output. You can always put a pedal with level/boost controls before the zoom b1 four if the volume is too low.

But my first thought would be that it should work just fine. If not it could also be that the pickup signal is weak on your bass. You could raise your pickups to see if that makes a difference?

7 Likes

@Mike_NL @John_E @Paul

I have tried 3 basses 1 active two passive , and several headphones ranging from low end in ear to high endish studio monitors.

Furthermore I have seen only one other person complaining about this on the inter webs so it might as well be the case of a defective unit…

And as I mentioned the rythm and aux volumes are heard great and also zoom guy told me that the device is not supposed to amplify…

In any case this is just my experience, I’m still taking the thing everywhere and use it in many occasions…

Any electronics bought online should be vigorously tested upon arrival and returned in timely manner if not satisfactory…

3 Likes