Zoom effects processors

Phones jack probably has a mic in but it will require an adapter cable to get the mac to recognize it as an input.

4 Likes

Firewire? ThunderBolt perhaps??

Anyway, yes, on some (older) Macs the phone jack doubles as a line in jack!

4 Likes

Actually all macs I think.

2 Likes

Not sure… they made some (annoying) changes in the last couple of years… But, yeah, better check the interweb or do a deep “About this Mac” info dump :smile:

3 Likes

Oh yeah they did this thing where it won’t always show up as an input in OSX, yeah. Forgot about that.

4 Likes

I do love my Mac, but Apple love to mess around with things for no good reason, don’t they? I’ve had iPhones for years now but it never ceases to annoy me how they change the IOS all the time and often basic things that were working very well suddenly change - I’m thinking specifically about the key sensistvity that used to chose the letter you had most contact with - great for a small touch screen, but now it’s very local contact and typos are more common. Grrrr.

Anyway, would this do me for simply connecting the B1on into the Mac for recording? It’ about my budget :roll_eyes:
SubZero Passive DI Box at Gear4music

1 Like

No. That is a DI (Direct Input) box for going direct to a mixer/PA. What you want is a DAI (digital audio interface), basically a sound card in a box with a bunch of jacks.

Something like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UMC22-Computer-Audio-Interface/dp/B00FFIGZF6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-U-22-Handy-Audio-Interface/dp/B01JLMGWEU

3 Likes

Haven’t done any extensive search, but this might be one of the “cheaper” ones out there, @PeteP (at around GBP 40)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202299847377

3 Likes

I looked in to these a bit as I heard these work ok but I never tried one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Effects-Interface-Adapter-Converter/dp/B07B28NVG6

Definitely cheap :slight_smile:

However it might not work with all macs. In fact I am pretty sure it won’t.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of reviews citing noise being a hit or miss issue with the irig and similar.

£40 is beyond my budget right now, which is why I looked at the Subzero which has 1/4" thru socket as well as the mixing board output. The socket on the front confused me but I checked the back.

2 Likes

I’m not even certain the iRig will work with Macs - I assume it will have the same issues with OSX detecting the mic in as an input as just using an adapter cable would.

1 Like

From what I could filter from all the technochatter on Mac forums, the headphone socket may or may not be a mic in too. Some say it is if you use a 4 pin jack, some say it isn’t at all. The Mac doesn’t tell you this in the spec. When I check System Preferences it only lists built-in mic as option, but of course something else would have to be connected to show.

2 Likes

If it is it will definitely need a 4-pin - gnd, mic in, stereo right/left. It absolutely will not work to just plug in a stereo or mono 1/4-1/8 adapter cable.

You can probably guess how I know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I just had a fiddle around with the cables I have and it hasn’t responded any differently - as in … silence.

1 Like

From the help on my iMac:

“If your Mac has separate ports for input and output, the sound input port has a microphone icon. If your Mac has only one sound port, it has a headphones icon and can be used for both input and output.”

I guess that’s clear, so now I’ll order a TRRS splitter and see what happens. I might try the built-in mic in the meantime, but it was terrible sound quality last time I tried, and my practice amp didn’t help at all.

Thanks for the patient input (pun intended). At some point I will invest in some proper gear, but it ain’t Christmas yet.

3 Likes

I would try and stay away from anything involving that phone jack and somehow find the funds for a USB-DAI (I know that is easier said than done) - a used one, perhaps!? That is just the technically better solution with a much better long-term perspective as well, in my humble opinion (and still limited insight in all these technical aspects).
Good luck!

2 Likes

I purchased two items for my B1on:

• The “Adafruit in-line Power Switch for 2.1mm Barrel Jack” sells for $5.74 (w/free shipping) on Amazon. It allows you to turn off the B1on AC power using a switch (and more importantly, to turn it back on without unplugging and replugging).
    temp
  • If you need a power supply (rather than batteries), UsedPedals sells an “9v AC Power Supply for Zoom” on eBay for $8+1.
7 Likes

Ok, I am convinced. With 50+ posts dedicated to this one pedal, I’d have all the tech support I’d ever need for it here! Pedals haven’t made their way into my attention span quite yet, but, for $40 or so, plus a little more for some parts, it seems like a huge set of effects you get for your bass.

I’m not GASing hard for it though right now, and don’t see it on Reverb or Ebay for a competitive price, so, gonna wait, and check again periodically.

2 Likes

Ahh, good idea. Having to unplug the thing was a PITA.

1 Like

Yay another convert :slight_smile:

Keep an eye out for them because they are discontinued now and are simultaneously getting scare in retail and popping up in incredible deals online. I sold mine for $30.

The current model (B1four) costs a bit more but has a nicer UI (i.e. knobs).

3 Likes