Zoom effects processors

I’m still using batteries - and won’t change to mains at the moment because the number of cables around here is getting unfunny - but having to unplug the input every time I finish is a little tedious. Mine currently sits on my desk as I play sitting there and it allows me to put all the spare cable length into a draw.

3 Likes

Oh my! I’ve finally got some sort of solution to allow me to use the B1on as an output to Garageband, but it’s not ideal so at some point a DI is going to be ordered - perhaps Christmas.

After trawling youtube and Google for solutions to the problem; how do I get my iMac to recognise the headphone output from the Zoom as a input signal and still be able to hear the track from the computer? As always with anything Apple, the answers work for some products, not for others, and are partially correct for yet more. Sheesh!

My working set-up is; a TRRS splitter with TRS headphones in their slot, a TRS cable from B1on to the mic slot, then the TRRS end into the phone slot on my ipad, and Garageband open and ready for an input.

The problem I had once getting actual sounds to go in and come out, was that I got a lot of distortion on the signal from the bass - I know it’s from the bass because when I turned the volume down to below half (on the instrument) the distortion went away and I was able to record much clearer signal and even use the amp models in Garageband.

This has all been very tiring - today’s efforts alone have taken up 3+ hours of tinkering - but later I shall record something and load it here for you guys to critique/feedback. Maybe.

3 Likes

The distorsion probably comes from the DAC of the Mac. I guess lowering the output volume on the Zoom would work.

3 Likes

It’s into the iPad now - I couldn’t get it to work on the Mac. The noise wasn’t a constant buzz though like interference, it was very much tied to the string vibration so it would ease as the note died. I’ve had issues with noise from the guitar when the pickup volume was all the way up so usually knock it back a fraction, but that was always more of a hum. This really sounded like I was playing through a distortion unit.

Taking the pup volume down to about 1/4 and increasing the gain on Garageband sorted it.

One other thing that wasn’t helping me was the 1/4"-1/8" (6.35-3.5mm) adapter having a very loose female connection. I’ve ordered a new adapter so hopefully that’ll be sorted too.

What I’ve learned is that Apple products change so often (and for such spurious reasons) that finding answers is way more work than it should be, but that’s been the case with Apple for a long time, and they show no signs of stopping that policy.

2 Likes

one more reason to dislike Apple. anyway that’s a good news if you managed to find a working configuration, but I think an external soundcard would be a huge upgrade :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m inclined towards a DI, possibly the entry level Bheringer. However, my imac is from 2012 and only has 8Mb RAM and can only be upgraded to 16Mb at a hefty £250. I’ve caught Garageband buffering a couple of times when not being unduly stressed so that may become an issue. It’s one of the least DIY friendly macs made (and that’s really saying something) so I’m not convinced I should be spending much on getting a rig that works with it.

As I say, it’s working on my ipad so that’s what I’ll focus on for my basic recordings for a while.

I’m still loving the B1on, despite all the roadblocks in my way - none of them are directly its fault (other than not having a DI incorporated).

2 Likes

Remember to get an audio interface (DAI), not a DI. Behringer makes both :slight_smile:

4 Likes

that’s it , I was talking about a DAI. a DI is a different thing, useful too but in your case I’d say it’s not the priority !

the good thing with a USB DAI is that you can use it from one computer to another very easily. mine for example is very old (way too old) but it still works with my current computer, so I still use it :grin: it’s more a long term investment than a computer upgrade ! and it can be a really cheap investment in fact.

anyway it’s a good thing if you can record something with your ipad :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DAI not a DI. Got it. I kind of knew that but have had my brain fried today. I’m currently trying to work on Papas Got a Brand New Bag, but all I can think it “papa needs to speed hell up with this”! I really struggle with such slow paces when trying to hear the tune. Ah well, it’s about right for the palaver I’ve had today. Thanks for the support, chaps.

2 Likes

Tough day at the office, eh!?

I just saw this and I remembered the iRig was mentioned before (NB: vid is from the “competition” :smile:):

So, since you’ve got an iPad already and Garageband on it(?), maybe the iRig solution is the best after all for you, at this moment!?! Caveat: I don’t have any experience with it myself!

Good luck!

EDIT: ah, forgot, this was all about the Zoom effects… hm, I guess you should be able to patch the Zoom into the signal path for the solution described in the video, no?!

2 Likes

Yep, although if he has it successfully recording into the iPad with the cables he has now, I don’t know if the iRig will help much.

3 Likes

yeah, if it still uses the embedded DAC I’m not sure it’s really better ? maybe there is some buffer / impedance adaptor in the iRig but as long as the DAC remains the same, I’m not sure it will be a revolution.

is there a USB port on the iPad ?

1 Like

Haha, good one :grin:But, sadly, no… at least not without an adapter…

2 Likes

that’s the answer I expected :sleepy:

2 Likes

Apple; where the word “universal” doesn’t exist - not even within their own products range.

I’d miss my :desktop_computer: but perhaps it’s getting a bit long in the tooth. I’ve used it daily for 7 years which is a record for me and home computing, and I couldn’t possibly afford a new one these days.

2 Likes

After a little financial windfall I’ve decided to buy a Behringer UMC22! Amazon have for £33 right now, which is only £5 more than the UM2. So unless anybody can give a really good reason for saving £5 and taking the lower model (I can’t see what the technical difference actually is), I should have something to share tomorrow. Better get practicing.

The money came in a most unexpected manner: while rummaging in my desk draws I came across my passport contained a $100 American Express travellers cheque from my 2006 visit stateside. I took it to the Post Office and got £60+, so of course I’m spending it on toys and sweeties (ok, a few craft beers).

Thanks for all the input (haha!)

EDIT
On viewing a few VS vids on Youtube, there appears to be virtually no practical difference between the two boxes - other than the boxes. I’m sticking with the UMC22 as much because I don’t like the knobs on the top of the plastic box.

4 Likes

Nice! This will make recording much easier and less noisy.

3 Likes

Well noise isn’t my issue as the only way I currently have is built-in mic and practice amp which is horrible sounding and hasn’t been switched on since I got the B1on. OK, so noise was the issue, but not just some extra noise or hiss - I have nothing but twanging and crackling.

1 Like

Hi guys, it’s me again…

How does the Zoom B1 Compare with the Spectradrive or the Battallion, one of which I’m also considering purchasing. I notice the Zoom is considerably cheaper.

Or is this a completely different animal?

Thanks again.

P.S. Sorry for all the questions… I’m just trying to get the most bang out of my first pedal device.

2 Likes

The short answer is it is different.

That’s not entirely correct - the B1 has a preamp in it, has amp sims, has compressors, and has overdrives. And is great for shaping tones.

But the other pedals you mentioned are basically the preamp front ends of bass amps. In the SpectraDrive’s case, it is literally the same preamp as used in TC’s bass amps. It’s going to be a cleaner and better preamp than the preamp in the B1on, which is mostly just used to drive effects.

Could you use the B1on as a preamp/amp sim? Yes! In fact I did use a B1on for this, running amp and cab sims. And it works fine when it comes to having a dedicated setup that you play, provided you don’t change the parameters of the simulated amp very often.

But a dedicated preamp pedal is going to be better at being a preamp and easily EQing the tone than an amp sim or EQ pedal sim in a B1on is.

For being just a tweakable preamp pedal, the user interface (basically, the knobs) on the Battalion or the SpectraDrive are pretty much infinitely better than the user interface of the B1on. The B1four and the B3n are better there but really for what it is they won’t beat the dedicated preamp pedals for ease of use.

1 Like