10 MORE Gadgets to Make You a Better Bassist (Or NOT?)

We’re back with more bass gadgets - will they level up your playing, or clutter your closet? Let’s find out - no sponsors, no BS.

Gadgets reviewed:

• Funk Fingers: The New Slap?
  • Hot Hand: Weird Expression Tool
  • NordyMute: Vintage Your Tone
  • Pulse: Vibrating Metronome
  • Spark Amp: Solid or Hype?
  • Should You Go Wireless?
  • RoadieBass: Tunes For You?
  • Who Needs a Guitar Glove?
  • Bonk Thumbrest: Improve Your Acoustic Game
  • How to Protect Your Ears

Are any of these going on anyone’s Christmas list? Any other bass gadgets you’ve got your eye on?

14 Likes

I tried that pulse thing and hated it. I sold it on Reverb for a loss…

8 Likes

Whilst you were showcasing some ear plugs, I noticed your beautiful but out of focus studio. I was wondering if we could get a tour of that some time in the future.

6 Likes

Lol

4 Likes

I have a couple pairs of those practice gloves and do use them on occasion. I especially like them on those (very rare) times when I play round wounds, simply because I hate the feel of rounds on my skin.

5 Likes

I love going to concerts and getting custom-molded ear protection was a huge improvement on the music experience and comfort.

8 Likes

Funny, I’ve never minded, been playing roundwounds since I started. I have basses with flats as well, and I like how those feel too, but the roundwound doesn’t bug me for some reason.

Yes! Another good reason to throw down on good plugs. You can actually hear all the details at a concert without the pain.

8 Likes

Is it just me or is the mixing completely off? Josh’s talking is soooo much quieter then let’s say the bass, I had to adjust volume permanantly and then quit :frowning:

5 Likes

Hey @enkhiel, not sure! You’re the first person to ever say the bass is too loud, I’m always hearing the other way around (because people listen on their phone speakers). Anyone else have mix issues on this video? Sounds okay to me on my setup.

7 Likes

I’m so happy you mentioned in the video that wearing a watch affected your playing… Some of the most ridiculously simple things like wearing a watch or wearing a pullover (don’t ask why, I don’t know) affect me as well, and I thought it was just me.

8 Likes

While I think the bass is a little louder it doesn’t bother me. I wouldn’t even notice it if @enkhiel didn’t mentioned it. At least the 1st time I saw it I didn’t.

6 Likes

Lol the drumstick fingers, I was not prepared for that to be real.

9 Likes

I figured it might be the subwoofer under my desk being turned all the way up. forget what I said
whoosh

8 Likes

I think the mix sounds the same as all the videos and lessons. (I watched video with headphones for reference.)

5 Likes

@JoshFossgreen, rounds feel like corduroy to me, and touching corduroy is like fingernails scraping across a chalkboard for me.

5 Likes

@PamPurrs NEVER misses a chance to tell the world how much she dislikes the feel of rounds lol. Not trying to give you a hard time about it, it is good info to continue to share with new players that there are alternatives they might enjoy better… but it always makes me laugh a little when I see another post about the feel of rounds on your fingers. :laughing:

8 Likes

I don’t know what it is about corduroy, It’s been like this all my life… If I just touch a piece of corduroy, I get shivers throughout my body.

6 Likes

I wonder if Josh meant that the metronome watch buzzing on his wrist affected his playing, or just the fact that the watch was on his wrist in the first place. For me it’s just that: I always wear a watch, but I always take it off when I’m playing. It’s not in the way or anything, but it doesn’t feel right.

5 Likes

Yeah, I actually meant the buzzing, not just wearing a watch. But I do prefer to play unencumbered as well!

6 Likes

This isn’t really a “bass gadget” but I’ve found this little guy to be pretty useful for routine maintenance/tightening all around the bass (except adjusting truss rod). Handy to keep in the gig bag.

MusicNomad The Octopus 8-in-1 Tech Tool

5 Likes