15 Mistakes to Avoid while Recording Bass at Home (NSFW)

Expletive alert!
But be sure to stick around for the final punchline …

18 Likes

As much as I find this guy slightly annoying, and despite his always disdainful remarks about bass players in general, I do sort of like him.
He made a couple points that I found particularly useful:

1. Don’t palm mute (which I don’t)
    1. It doesn’t matter if you finger pluck or pick

All in all, a very helpful video (and entertaining).

9 Likes

I came for the NSFW and instead I got to see Glenn :laughing:

9 Likes

Lots of solid advice from him as usual.

8 Likes

His remarks are aimed at horrible bass players only, rest of it is just long running joke.

10 Likes

Yup.

He nailed a lot of stuff in there. Including the biggest reason I sold my pedalboard off - it’s just much easier and more flexible to record clean and do all the effects in the DAW, and more importantly, way easier when mixing to have all that control in the DAW.

11 Likes

… unless you’re performing live and need those effects

9 Likes

eh. I’ll buy a Helix if I want to play live again :slight_smile:

But yes, live is why you would want actual pedals.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking of selling off my pedals and pedal board also as I rarely ever use them. If by some strange miracle I ever get to perform live (for money) I would also buy a Helix.

7 Likes

It’s funny because I use effects more heavily now than when I had my full board, they are just all software.

7 Likes

I agree to this and I can understand that this might be his style of “performing” to make his videos “entertaining”

But this was the most effort I have ever made to continue watching a video to get useful information… If the guy was in front of me I would have hard time to contain myself from jumping him literally…

Why the flying f**k does he have to deliver this information this way? Who needs so much aggression in their life?

9 Likes

Glenn actually explains his true love for real bass playing. He’s just a producer & when you’re a producer you slut your services right out then meet all sorts of people that teach you all sorts of lessons.

Day in and day out you will see tons of crappy bass players that cant play & never change their strings. Or vocalists that cup their mic thinking that makes them sound better and not at all like a muffled washing machine on meth.

He does it mostly in the name of fun, you see something enough times and it ends up on a t-shirt. He’s just got a metal attitude. He has some great content though.

He’s only trying to up the ante on bass players to improve. In reality Glenn is a fan of the 80s when bass playing was extremely relevant & took lots of skill to play.

7 Likes

It’s just back then we had basslines but today we have baselines. 2 different things. One has it’s own stance, style & trademark while the other one just supports the root note from the start to the end.

Again, I’m not riding on bassists today because you can still find insane amounts of skill but the point being is that those bassists aren’t the majority when they should be.

A healthy kick in the ass to get someone to go from worse to better is great, nothing wrong with a sting to get you over yourself and straight on the road to improvement. I don’t mind admitting I’m a useless cunt, it only makes me want to improve.

10 Likes

@Bersist I heartily agree with both your above commentaries. Thank you.

5 Likes

Sorry Mrs Pams, I know have that same attitude too. :laughing: I will link the video if I come across it where Glenn dresses the bass comments about people being triggered himself.

Good bass players aren’t triggered by such comments because they just giddy up 'till they rack up a ton of practice hours sot they can see their early selves in those comments with humor.

6 Likes

The pod go is great too for much less money.

6 Likes

Sure, as is a B3n, which for the typical crappy live setting would be just fine too. Though a POD or Helix are a definite step up.

HX Stomp is (relatively) reasonable. I have a secret veiled interest in getting one too because I’d like to get the $99 Helix Native deal. But that only makes sense if I am already buying a Helix (or POD).

7 Likes

Same here. Plugins all the way. I’ve had my bass 18 months, and the only ‘pedal’ I own is the Darkglass Element (for quiet practice in my highly resonant Hong Kong concrete box).

If I were ever to play out gigs in some dive bar (a pipe dream at the moment), I might spring for a Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig for live compression, drive and EQ. But that would be the limit of my ambition.

Excepting that maybe I will eventually get me a looper pedal, just for fun …

7 Likes

Now my YouTube feed is full of him and the bastard is growing on me…

Noticed that most of the comments are exchanging opinions in a similar manner.

6 Likes

… don’t spoil the fun :wink:

5 Likes