15 Mistakes to Avoid while Recording Bass at Home (NSFW)

You should see his opinion on the Line 6 Spider V amp. He got so much hate after that video. I think that could be one of the reason that he gladly talks about those “special” comments on his channel as part of his image. :wink:

6 Likes

Glen addressed this in one of his videos. He said, early on, he would just talk. One time he put out a video where he started ranting about something and it became his biggest video. After that, he figured out the more over the top he was the more hits, likes, and subscribers he would get. Eventually, he was able to quit his job at an automotive plant.

People who have met him in person have said he was calm, polite, and pleasant to have a conversation with.

5 Likes

It’s always about the money . . . just follow the money, and you’ll get to the truth.

5 Likes

Truth!

6 Likes

Oh no. Don’t read the comments. That cess pool is where madness lies.

5 Likes

70s was the highpoint for bass and drums, where they built a groove. And then software happened, and pro tools and aligning to the click, not to mention cut and pasting basslines.

Sanitized a lot of stuff, people still make great basslines, but not in popular music.

3 Likes

Really classy guy. His mama did a fine job raising him…

3 Likes

Yeah he’s a fan of all the 70s & 80s metal. He constantly talks about Thrash, Vintage, & Hair Metal. I do agree that they did have extremely creative basslines that were all different from each other with lots of personality to them vs today. His opinion does play into his views.

3 Likes

i think that all these gimmick youtube guys are riding out their 15 minutes of fame. at some point we all get sick of the act and move on (i’m looking at you, davey). you can be successful just being yourself and having something interesting to say on youtube, josh scott from jhs, gregor from bass the world and adam neely spring to mind.

7 Likes

I personally don’t mind the way he does things because as a producer I’m jaded with most people since I understand what it’s like to have to deal with assholes constantly that expect too much for too little. Or even worse, free.

The constant arguing about what’s better for the record with prideful dumbasses gets old quick. My favorite is: “you’re going to be sorry when I’m famous but you turned down working with me”

5 Likes

I worry a lot that my touch is too light coming from guitar to playing bass…now I’m gonna be completely paranoid about it.

5 Likes

I had this problem, so for years I would just depend on my tone coming from the tonepots by supplementing more low end.

But later on I realized I don’t have to wipe my lips & apply new lip-gloss every time I bite my sammich like I’m a female on a first date.

Those strings should eat bar-b-que wings with chunky blue cheese widdout napkins on the first date just to establish the type of man you’re going to be from now on.

2 Likes

I been watching him for the last couple hours, after seeing this video.
He is funny AF.

One of his vids where he responds to viewer comments had me laughing out loud for a good few minutes

Viewer comment
“A 29 fret 7 string guitar doesn’t make you a better guitarist “

And Glenn says

“Thanks for the comment, this weeks episode of No Fucking shit asshole says you are absolutely right”

Or something like that.
I am still laughing an hour later, and did LOL again just typing that.

3 Likes

His shirts are funny to.

Professional turd polisher.

Making bass players cry.

I am sure there are other good ones.

3 Likes

and the followup vid after the guy threatened him :slight_smile:

^^this was me too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, I looked them up.
Then
I actually went to his channel, and started on viewer comments episode 1, and started watching them in order.

After watching a couple full videos of him, he is a very personable guy, and I can see him being a really cool person.
He is incredibly smart, he just has an ON SCREEN persona, like many comedians have made livings off of over the years, and he does what he loves and makes a living doing it, so more power to him.

And he is VERY CLEAR about things being HIS OPINION, and CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, and will ADMIT when he is wrong, or when he has a complete change of mind when a company like Line 6 finally puts out something that he can work with in the studio, and goes to say he has met people at Line 6, and they are really cool, and he supports all the workers at the places making these things, it is just too bad they made something that sucks.

3 Likes

FYI, Glen has a FREE course on his his site.
Its a 3 part, I forget exactly what the other 2 are, 1 is something with EQ and I can’t recall the other, but it looks great, and it is FREE.
Just sign up with name and e-mail, and you get the first week sent to you.
I assume the others will come weekly.

This is the header of my e-mail.
Let’s get started with video #1 - Understanding Compression

We’re going to start by taking a look at compressors…and just what attack, release, threshold, and ratio actually MEAN.

here is the site.

https://spectremedia.ca/download-free-smg-basics-course/

5 Likes

LOL I haven’t seen this guy’s videos before and I had a good laugh.

6 Likes

Excellent video.

4 Likes

This was also my first time watching a video by this guy and all I could think of is that he seems to be trying to channel the comedian Lewis Black.

5 Likes