15 Mistakes to Avoid while Recording Bass at Home (NSFW)

i was thinking a hybrid: Weird Al Kinison. But his lesson videos are much different in tone and very informative.

2 Likes

You made me look up Louis Black on YouTube. I found an hour long stand up by him on Broadway from a couple years ago. I’m laughing my butt off…

3 Likes

Sometimes I think he’s gonna have a stroke right up there on stage. :laughing:

3 Likes

I just realized that I recognize his voice (and now his name is coming back to me) from a decade ago when I used to listen to the comedy channel on Sirius satellite radio. This is the first time I’ve actually seen him though.

3 Likes

It’s was nice to give him a listen while we were in lockdown because I felt good that there was someone around that was more miserable than I was. :smile:

4 Likes

That explains why I can’t stop watching him, I LOVE Lewis Black.
Plus they are both pretty freaking intelligent.

I don’t think he is Miserable (and I hope you are not too miserable yourself, things seem to be on the UP, and hopefully will go back to normal soon), and if you watch to learn, he if fantastic (and rather calm most of the time).
I can’t stop watching Viewer Comments episodes (I have over 300 to watch, and I am only on like #60), it is both hilarious, PLUS, he answers A LOT of really good questions, especially stuff newer bedroom recorders like most of us need to hear, and know.

4 Likes

I watched his “how compression works” video yesterday and it was simply amazing. Broke it down very well and I finally understand compression well. He wasn’t doing his shtick in this one, calm and really knew what he was talking about.

7 Likes

Thanks, but it was really just an attempt at humor. A swing and a miss I guess. :grin:

5 Likes

@John_E can you provide the link to that compression one please?

2 Likes

I disagree. It was an extra base hit! It certainly put a smile on my face :smiley:

3 Likes

Here you go @PamPurrs

5 Likes

Thanks. It’s good to see the “nice guy” side of him. Very informative tutorial.

5 Likes

Hi Pam, hope you are well! I just realised you already saw this one a long time before me! I posted it on Talking Bass a couple of weeks back. Agree with you…slightly annoying. But he is funny. Now, I’m trying to find the thread with advice from you, John E and Brian on recording bass, capturing video and synching it all, etc…

2 Likes

Yes I think I’ll watch more of his when I get a little more competent and start using other equipment more. The person I like to watch on YourTube at the moment is Rick Beato, though he’s not specifically about bass, he started as a bass player and I like the way he breaks down songs.

When’s your next cover due?

2 Likes

I’ve been rehearsing it like crazy and am getting close to nailing all 4 minutes of it. I’m hoping to tape it over the weekend or perhaps Monday.
Thanks for asking :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I absolutely love Glen Fricker.
True, if you are only to see his rant about Bass Players, which is likely for many, because it gets posted here and on bass forums, I can see thinking he is a total and complete ass hole
But
if you watch him enough, you get to see him for who he is, and I think he is a really good person, and he really wants to help and teach people about recording in home studios, from the typical musician / hobbyist, to people who aspire to become sound engineers, plus he has great tips for how to play all instruments in the studio, and he always backs it up with good information about WHY he states things.
The bonus for me, is he is funny AF, and I don’t mind the swearing, and yelling and rants, I find good humor in them.

Its Ok to watch now. I don’t really even care TOO much about recording, I just find him entertaining, and if you get into his series “Stupid texts from musicians to their sound engineers” and all of his “Viewer Comment” shows, it is entertaining AND informative.
He has something like 308 VC (viewer Comment) episodes, with new ones EVERY Thursday. I started watching from #1. I think I am about 100 thru them, starting from the beginning, but I also watch from both ends, and watch the new ones as well.
There are 25 or 26 of the “Stupid Texts”, which is too bad, because they are absolute GEM’s.
“Oldies but Baddies” is also pretty entertaining, but they are live shows, and are usually more then an hour long, which I don’t find as good, unless I turn on during the live stream, but they are pretty fun.
It is something to the effect that he picks songs, and has bands record covers / music videos, and send them in to the show, then he reviews them during a LIVE stream, and gives his honest opinion, good OR bad.

Hi T_dub,

Yes I like the guy, I only meant a little annoying the way he shouts but I soon got over that, he is very funny, and obviously an expert in what he does. Anyway you sold me on him, so I’ll try to watch more. I think if I watch and listen to a lot of knowledgeable folks talking music, not only bass, even if it’s above my level (which most of it is), it will sink in over time! (osmosis?) For example I like watching Rick Beato, I always pick something up from him.

2 Likes

:+1: :guitar:

2 Likes

Him and Adam Neely - half the time I have no idea at all what they’re talking about, but for some reason I still enjoy listening to them talk about it…

1 Like