5 String Basses Suck for Beginners (7 Reasons)

I’ve finished the course now, so that means I can get a five string as I’m not a beginner, right?

Seriously though, I’ve been looking to upgrade from my cheapo Chinese P bass (by a company called “Donner”, it’s actually surprisingly good for the money and I don’t think it really hindered my progress), and the Yamaha BB735A is calling out to me. I’ve played it a few times in shops and loved it, and didn’t find the extra string really made much difference in terms of playability. If anything I found it easier - that B string is a great thumb rest and the tighter string spacing on the EADG strings made it easier to reach them.

I’ll only ever play with fingers or a pick (no slapping) so I guess the spacing shouldn’t matter as much. Plus the active EQ, PJ style and extra string seems like it would offer maximum versatility for playing pretty much anything. There’s just a part of my brain that says “are you sure” because of videos like this recommending against it. That and I don’t want to think I’m a poser for having an extra string…

3 Likes

Outstanding bass, I’ve owned a BB734A and @PamPurrs owns a BB735A. One of the best basses on the market for anywhere near the price.

Don’t worry about 5-strings; they aren’t difficult to adapt to. You may find you prefer 4-strings, but you will do fine playing a 5. No reason to fear it.

3 Likes

Yes, I went through the the entire B2B course on a Yammie BB235 and then later upgraded to the BB735. Both are great instruments.

5 Likes

Thanks both, that helps me be certain it’s the one I want. Now all I need to do is fight the GAS that little bit longer until I can afford it.

5 Likes

Sweetwater: 6 months, no interest. Just sayin’ :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

That is probably not helpful :wink:

3 Likes

Oh no, I hadn’t considered that until now.

Must fight the GAS for at least another month or two…

4 Likes

star-trek-first-contact

5 Likes

been eye-balling a shortie and a fiver for many moons… still just me and my Yammie trbx504

Played a SireU5 shortie last week which was pretty good for the price. I believe Lobster rated it 5 claws

Also Played a Music Man 4 and fiver for the first time. Wow, the Music Man is nice. Definitely a difference for me compared to Sterling Music Man

Still holding out on everything

3 Likes

Hard to argue with that. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This has got me in a real quandry. I’m still very much a beginner (I’m currently doing B2B with a crappy Chinese p-bass) but have a real hankering for a 5 string for some reason- maybe because I love rock/metal and think that it’ll actually be useful for that.
The bass I’m going to get next is is only £18 dearer in 5 string than 4 string- what to do!?

1 Like

Is it 1000 for the 4-string and 1018 for the 5-string or is it 80 for the 4 and 98 for the 5’er? if it is anywhere near the latter, I’d say go for it and see for yourself whether and how you like it. It’s better to make your own experiences than only trust what others tell you.

If it’s not for you, I am sure you can sell it again with little financial loss.

3 Likes

When I started, I got a sensible bass that didn’t excite me because it was practical. I wasn’t keen on doing lessons. I replaced it with the bass I did want been playing ever since.

The bass you will do best on is the one that looking at it makes you want to play. If that’s the 5 string, okay. Use the B string as a thumb rest, and accept the other challenges.

5 Likes

The number of strings in itself isn’t something that will bother me (I’m not a drummer and can count past 4), and the string spacing isn’t tiny like a lead guitar, so I’m thinking I’ll probably go for it with the five string. After all, I’m already left handed with a very restricted movent in my left wrist and learning to play right handed, so why not add another level of difficulty? :grin:

2 Likes

@V8Volvo245 Having recently bought a 5 string I have to say that I do wish I’d done so sooner. Having access to the lower notes when required without having to shuffle the fretboard around (drop tune) has been a big plus for me.

I’d say if you think you’re going to end up playing a 5 string anyway, and you’re about to make a purchase, then don’t let dealing with the extra string hold you back. You really will get used to it quite quickly.

The advice I got was basically to not use the B string initially and just get used to the feel of the new instrument. The weight, balance, string spacing and neck shape all need getting used to. Once you’re used to the feel of the instrument and can move around cleanly on the E,A,D,G strings then you can start judiciously introducing the B string.

6 Likes

That was my train of thought exactly. I cannot be bothered with drop tuning (so I’ll not be playing any Godsmack :sob:) so the B string might come in handy from time to time other than as a thumb rest!

2 Likes

It can be easier to play in drop D than on a 5 string. Less movement on the fret hand. But don’t worry about spacing, my fiver has the same 19mm spacing as my four banger. The difference is the wider fretboard, which I found made me address some muting issues. It forced me into good technique, which is a good thing

Other songs are easier on a fiver, as in life, it depends

4 Likes

Anyone tried this?

Tried it, feels really awkward but it could just be my fingers to blame. I’m sticking with floating thumb (playing a 6 string at the moment, so I float down to A string).

1 Like

Muting a 5 is not really all that much more challenging than a 4.

If you want to up your muting game, play with a pick. This removes the crutch of easy plucking hand muting but allows for developing other common fretting and plucking hand muting techniques. Plus picks sound better anyway :rofl:

4 Likes