7 Reasons Les Claypool is Strangely Awesome (+Lesson Tips)

This is actually a very very important point, said just wonderfully by you @kristine.
We are a lot of times so focused on getting something to play right that we forget to feel it and let the feeling take over. Yes, this takes time and yes it takes patience but it does come. When your basics are practiced enough and baked in, you can let feel guide you instead of your brain/eyes/fear of missing a note. When this starts to happen little by little, everything is right in the bass world.

4 Likes

@John_E :heart: :heart: :heart: but let’s say “quoted just wonderfully by Kristine” - it’s something Bruce Lee said in the movie Enter the Dragon. I think about it a lot, though.

Never been much of a gearhead when it comes to things that, you know, require gear (like photography or music). While it’s important to know how to use the tools of a trade or hobbie or whatever, I think sometimes we can get caught up in technical things instead of considering what we feel when we create something. Because, you know, ew feelings. :joy: :joy: :joy:

But we also need to know how to bring our creative vision to life, so - gear.

6 Likes

@John_E erm, the gear comment isn’t really related to your beautifully said point about playing right (our fingers are the gear in that case), but recently I feel like I’ve been looking at stuff instead of finishing my lessons. (and I’m not that far from finishing!) (stupid gear threads)
:joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

There’s a lot to say and like about this video, but that’s what happens when you cram a lot of good content in there. If TL;DR, then the heart of these comments is at 2:59, 3:16, 12:44 and 13:25. The rest is just acknowledging a bunch of the fun parts. Like @eric.kiser , this video reminded me why I enjoy Primus (and @JoshFossgreen 's videos).

2:59 – Josh gives attainable entry points for crazy-hard technique someone might not otherwise try because too hard
3:16 – “The secret to being able to do this [ridiculously fast thing] is to be able to do this [ridiculously accessible thing]”
Rhythm First – viewer gets a list of techniques to choose from (slaps, pops, fretting slaps, hammer-ons) and then an invitation to work with patterns the viewer already likes
[gives bass face, indicating this should be fun]
3:34 Fun “subscribe” interlude, including a Reminder - You are beautiful! Aww, see – we are more than just a statistic for the analytics. :blush:
5:43 Daaaayyyyy-uuumm
5:48 Only 5 seconds of Tommy the Cat? Not cool, Josh (jk kidding that was amazing)
6:10 Batman interlude
6:18 Too Many Puppies!
6:34 Second Attainable Entry Points segment
7:05 Weird A$$ Notes & dissonance! Favorite
7:31 “Intense & Jarring” yay
8:15 “It’s completely filthy” great description
8:50 “You could groove along to that all day” like Captain America
9:10 “Whoa we’re not chilling we’re at an evil carnival and we’re gonna die! Or something” something wicked this way comes, eh?
9:18 “not to mention all of Larry LaLonde’s super cool and quirky guitar parts” oh yeah Primus has a guitar player, too
9:35 I’m not sorry you did this – I’ve always wondered what Weird Al would be like on a bad acid trip and now I know
10:09 “just get weird and dissonant with it” ok!
12:04 [Jerry Was a Racecar Driver] That’s just insane
12:34 This sounds like the William Tell Overture in some f*cked up key
Creativity First – YES
12:44 “I like turning over rocks and looking for whatever’s new. For me, it’s exciting” YES
13:25 “…it wouldn’t have been a smart move creatively.” From one angle it looks like Les Claypool breaks a lot of rules, but from another angle what he’s really done is help expand them (keeping in mind that we are all standing on the shoulders of those what come before us).
In 2022, no one would blink an eye at someone playing an electric bass with a bow. But in 1992, it felt like performance art.
14:25 Creativity Needs Space – YES
16:33 OK, more Tommy the Cat! Thanks Josh
17:48 “I’ve been told how weird our music is…But to me, it all seems normal.” :heart:
18:05 [Weirdo] – love the glasses :nerd_face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nD_OMQR_oQ

5 Likes

Love all the commentary @kristine !

Also I really need Primus pinball. My birthday is in July if the forum would like to pool together to send me one. :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Oh, also, once upon a time this happened -

Yes, that is a very young and foppishly dressed me, on stage with Les Claypool and Jay Lane!

I played for a few years with Gabby La La, an artist who used to tour with Les, and he and Jay came out to join us for a couple songs at her album release show!

I am 100% certain he made no notice of me and wouldn’t remember it, but… I played bass while Les Claypool also played bass!

More bits of evidence in this video -

17 Likes

How cool is that! I’m pretty sure the 1st musician he noticed was the other bass player!

5 Likes

So, in other words, we are all just one degree of separation from Les Claypool.

8 Likes

BassBuzz shirts/shwag are a great motivator for kindness and generous gestures…just sayin’

5 Likes

Um, seems like you would be kinda hard to miss - that shirt collar is somethin’ else :wink:

Would you consider posting this encounter in the Bassists We Have Met thread?

5 Likes

ahhhhhhh ok now i understand how @JoshFossgreen can make stretching his hand across 4 low frets so easy — i did not realize he was ginourmous :+1:

5 Likes

Because of my short scale fingers I was always jealous of the tentacles many bass players got mounted to theirs wrists. But then I saw a video of ZZ-Top and was surprised of the short, sturdy fingers of Dusty Hill. Practicing the original bass line of ‘Gimme all your lovin’ instantly proved: size doesn’t matter.

5 Likes

I have seen Primus open for Anthrax and Public Enemy.
I have seen them at Lolapalloza (they blew everybody away, even the headliners)
I have seen them headline twice at the Hollywood Palladium
I have seen Les Claypool with his side band Sausage with Helmet and Rollins band at the Olympic in LA.
Funny Story.
Sausage was on first, we had seats, but rushed the floor. You needed a bracelet to be on the floor, so they cleared all the people out after Sausage played. So Helmet starts to play and once again we successfully broke thru the bouncers guarding the entrance to the floor, and disappeared into the pit.
After Helmet played, they cleared the floor again.
When Rollins went on, we rushed the floor again. My one friend was getting caught by 2 bouncers, and I ran back and charged them. He got in the pit, but I was excused from the venue out the back door.
I ran right into an RV in the parking lot out the back, with a few people smoking a bowl around a fire pit on the side of the RV.
Les Claypool turned around and asked me if I wanted a hit. I had to turn him down, pot is one of the few things on the list of things I don’t do, but I had a decent little conversation with him.
Right around the time when the starstruck wore off, and I ran out of things to say, I reached in my pocket and realized I still had a ticket. It was full, cuz they never ripped it in half when I first got in the show.
So I excused myself, and ran around to the front, and kindly let myself back into the venue, and quickly got back to my x-wife and friends on the floor.

I think meeting Les was way worth getting thrown out of the first half of the Rollins set.

I have seen Primus at least 2 other times, and they never dissapoint. One of the few bands that doesn’t overdo the volume or effects, so you can actually hear them clear, like on a recording.

Thanks for the Video @JoshFossgreen, it was worth the wait for the new video.

11 Likes

I think we could all use a little Primus Pinball in our lives. :stuck_out_tongue:
What day in July?

5 Likes

Your highjinx sound very polite and civilized :joy: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Primus Arcade Pinball Machine, Limited Run Edition
Made by Stern Pinball
Discontinued with only 100 made
Used at $7,000-$12,000 (+$500 shipping)

@John_E I’m guessing that would be all the profit from about a 1,000 t-shirts. :rofl:

5 Likes

i saw primus soooo long ago i don’t remember it, just remember that i saw them. and i loved it.

4 Likes

One more thought: if you’re not watching the video with the captions on, you’re missing out

6 Likes

I’ll throw in for a “Buy Josh a Pinball Machine” GoFundMe.

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen

Excellent video…Suggestions for future vids:

Joe Gittleman the Bass Fiddleman

Fat Mike

Tim Armstrong

–or do all 3 and more in a 90s ska-punk thing.

6 Likes