A 5'er dilemma

My experience is that the j/j has more growl and p/j a fatter tone. I kinda like mm/j but never tried a mm/p configuration.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good description.

This Fearless cab I have is supposed to be the bomb for low Bs, so for sure I want something that is going to really do a good job at voicing it.

I have been looking at the different Lakland combos but they seem to focus on JJ JM style (and one P), but no PJs.

They appear to put a lot of design considerations into the 5, but with so many options, my head explodes just with that brand.

1 Like

:+1:
They have lots of downtuned guitars to compete with in their race to the deepest depths of the low end.

1 Like

Now I am thinking like @PamPurrs
Why buy a 5? Why not just convert a 4 to a BEAD?
I don’t need the full scale and would be easier to play and my options for bass are a lot more interesting.

hmmm…

3 Likes

My thinking exactly, especially given the amount of basses you have.

1 Like

Oh ho no…I would need a new one for this :grinning:

2 Likes

Why not one of each?
:thinking:

In fact, why only one of each?
:wink:

1 Like

stop it! :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m going to solve my fiver desire with this.
I rarely felt a need for the low B or C on my fivers (or BEAD), so a drop D is a better solution for me. This product allows you to switch from EADG to DADG with the flick of a lever.
It seems to be on back order at all the retailers (cheaper than buying from Hipshot), but as soon as it’s available, I’m going to put it on my ESP.

2 Likes

I’ve got those on 2 basses, they don’t let me play the songs I am accumulating for a 5 string, need the B.

I am reading how folks shorten the scale a bit on a 5 to voice the B better, etc. So wonder if a B on a BEAD 34" vs. a bass designed with B in mind gets you differences wise.

1 Like

Actually 35" (or longer) is desirable for 5’s due to the better tension on the B. It’s why Dingwall does their variable scale thing.

B strings can be pretty flubby. I would recommend the longest scale you can and the largest diameter string you are comfy with. I found 0.135 good.

How do you like it @John_E ? Where did you get it?

Why not just tune down normally? It takes seconds :slight_smile:

I could understand for live use, but for home use just tuning works great for me. And I am in Drop D so much that I forget which bass I have tuned that way all the time.

1 Like

one came with a bass, the other i think BBG.

They work great, and I have never used them.
I wanted one just to have one, ended up with 2.

1 Like

I’ve thought of that also. Does detuning and retuning between D and E cause any undo stress on the E string?

cause thats no fun! hahaha

1 Like

no different than flipping that switch

2 Likes

Thanks, I was wondering if there’s a big difference or not. I guess there isn’t.

It’s a fun thing to put on, unless you are a pro who needs flipping back and forth in a song for some reason really fast.

I have seen Davie504 do this … once.
I have not seen it ever anywhere else, but I suppose it is happening.

1 Like