A 5'er dilemma

exactly!

1 Like

Sooooo, I guess the bottom line is I don’t need the HipShot detuner for just playing the occasional song on which I need drop D? Is that what you are saying @howard and @John_E ?

1 Like

No of course not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn, now I’m going to have to use that money toward another bass instead…

2 Likes

Exactly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have yet to find a single video that really shows off the 735A properly, which is part of my issue. Folks in the videos are saying how great it is but all the sound in each video is not exactly awesome.

1 Like

Have you checked out the covers I’ve done with it? If you can get past my mediocre playing, the BB735 puts out a nice tone.

yes, i just want to hear it in isolation in a variety of modes.

2 Likes

Not a 735 but here’s a BB734a handily outperforming a MIA Fender…

That’s pretty much what my 734a sounded like, can verify it’s legit. And that’s just passive mode.

More my style is this bit from Jack Bates:

He owns 11 of them :slight_smile:

(the “Love Will Tear Us Apart” intro is through a chorus pedal)

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with a fiver. I found it quite refreshing to play on it. Same with 7 strings guitars. Having that extra string makes it much easier.

@PamPurrs I was actually thinking about that hipshot today! I do think it’s kinda cool to have on your bass but is is also a bit pricey for something that takes you just a few seconds to tune.

The problem for me is that I play songs in EADG, DADG and DGCF :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@howard beat me to it, but my 6 string is a 35" scale and I really like the feel of the B string. Might want to give multi fret another go sometime

1 Like

I’m actually thinking of putting the correct set of these on my 6 string as the tuners are all cheap and wobbly. Each tuner goes with a specific srtring, and has it’s own ration, so that one full turn is one full tone. And that’s for all the strings.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRB-4400-BO--graph-tech-prb-4400-bo-bass-ratio-4-in-line-y-key-tuning-machines-black

1 Like

That first video is terrible all around.

And I’ve watched the lower one and it tells me nothing about the most important string since it isn’t there.

On the way to get my daughter I popped into GC. All they had was a $850 Schecter “Omen Elite”. All I can say is it wasn’t for me (well that’s not true, I could say a lot more but none of it good).

1 Like

So you’ll need 4… :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Michael Manring:

1 Like

Here you go - a detuner extravaganza!

https://fb.watch/8ky4wFSx00/

Ok, so, forgive me stepping into this thread to spout off some ignorance, but…

…I see P/J and J/J all over the place, and I thought they stood for “Precision/Jazz”, but this thread makes me think that’s incorrect.

Help a fellow bass-er out, here?

2 Likes

A PJ is precision (split coil) pickup near the neck, and a Jazz near the bridge. JJ is two jazz pickups

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense.

So, PJ:

th

And JJ:

OIP

Correct?

2 Likes

I should add there’s other ways to do this, for example you can put a split coil in a soapbar housing, and it will look like a soapbar humbucker it but act like a P.

A precision pickup cancels hum so is technically a humbucker.

2 Likes