A 5'er dilemma

Yes

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the education. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

JJ

6 Likes

PJ

PJ Soles in Rock and Roll High School, a classic

1 Like

Is he like tuning during the song? :sweat_smile: Pretty impressive act.

1 Like

I’m a big Schecter fan. The Omen serie wouldn’t be my first choice either but what didn’t you like? It is a total different beast compared to a Fender.

Haha I’m good on 4. Have one tuning on DGCF and the rest I keep on EADG. Switching to DADG only costs a few seconds.

1 Like

Curious: What gauge strings are you using for the C and F? Are you using a 6 string bass set for this setup?

Huh no I just tuned down all my strings one step. It’s not that extreme as BEAD. 058-110 would be a good gauge but I’m using my standard strings for now. The tension is still fine but I got the feeling that the bass was already setup for drop D tuning.

1 Like

I think Charles needs to buy a six string :rofl:

Quality horrible. Knobs all crooked. Tones were really lacking. I’m not a Schecter/Ibanez soft curves fan shape wise. I also don’t like the little headstocks. Considering it’s $100 more than the Yamaha BB735A I was shocked.

I’m thinking that I’m rethinking this whole thing and want to go do some extensive play testing before committing to a 5. I might be better off in the GBOSH camp (Go Big Or Stay Home). I’m only buying one of these as I don’t need loads, so make it count, right? Need a trip to the little shop over the bridge in Jersey to play some of the varied things he has me thinks.

1 Like

I think you meant one step:slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I am kind of hoping he didn’t - that would be amazing if you could pull it off :rofl:

Band Name Suggestion: Subsonic E

2 Likes

I love the PJ pickup placement but I’m starting to like the wider necks on the P’s (1.65" vs 1.5"). I recently bought a Sire P7 and only after I received it, that I found it was a 1.5" neck. Recently I bought a five string modern jazz and it’s a great balance of the neck and rounds out the pickups with a humbucker in the bridge.

I have basses with 38mm and 40mm (roughly 1.5" and 1.6") necks and I am not sure which I prefer. Both are great.

I find contour of the neck is more impactful than nut size.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m definitely a “thin C” and D shape kind of person. Not a fan of U-shape at all. Others are the opposite and love the chunky necks.

1 Like

Yeah sorry step :laughing:

2 Likes

I guess Duff must have been doing it a bit in GnR?

Duff only switched between songs, not during.

I also seem to remember him saying that the drop tuner came about after the GnR days.

1 Like