A bass-ic library

It’s small collection, but I imagine it will take me awhile to work through these. Focusing on BtB first.

Books that are supposed to have cds have them, but my only cd player is in the car. Feels weird, because I just bought a cheap turntable a couple weeks ago, and now I’m looking for a cd player.

8 Likes

What’s that? :joy:

4 Likes

My 9 year old daughter had to learn the words CD player for her French vocab (lecteur CD)…I had to explain what one was, although could not show her one! :rofl:

4 Likes

I just have this book. The audio files are downloads using a code printed in the book. I also use a sheet music app called Tomplay. Lots of songs with backing tracks for bass and for other instruments. And I still have and use a CD player almost every day!
419n37Y3uPL

1 Like

Why not get a CDROM drive, rip the audio to MP3 (using EAC) and listen to them on any device you want?

Agreed. You can get a super cheap USB cd drive off Amazon and it will handle all your ripping needs.

1 Like

But that’s just buying a cd player with extra steps…

Really I get the concept, but I don’t use my computer for practice, I use my iPad, aux-in-ed to my amp. Just aux-in-ing a cd player to my amp would work better for me.

2 Likes

Except when you want to listen to those track on other devices or somewhere else (vacation, other room etc.)
It’s a one-off effort: rip it and be happy!

I actually have an external dvd burner, so I could do that.
For my personal use case though, and since these are backing tracks for practice, cd player into amp is going work better for me, for the time being. I’m sure I can find one at a thrift store for $5 or so without much hunting.

1 Like

Five dollar is one milkshake, that’s really ok!

2 Likes

One thing to look at with a cd player for practice backing tracks, particularly a cheap one, is how easy it is to skip around, repeat sections etc. Whereas with an mp3 there are a number of apps for both computer and smartphone (I believe) especially designed for this task, including reducing the tempo.

I wouldn’t dismiss the mp3 route too quickly.

3 Likes

That’s a good point.
I do go back a lot, when doing B2B lessons.

1 Like

Good point! For Android I use Music Speed Changer. It also exists for Windows and even iOS.

3 Likes

Alright, I’m starting to see your side…

1 Like

If you don’t need great sound just get a CD player/recorder for the computer. I have that too along with a good CD player from back in the day that I use headphones to listen to. Not too expensive.

2 Likes

I just ordered The Lost Art of Country Bass on Amazon and put the Ron Carter book on my list.
I know people offering to “share” PDFs mean well but as a veteran of the music publishing business I encourage people to purchase legal editions.
:pray::hugs:

3 Likes

I have to agree with this sentiment. If we appreciate the writing someone has done we should be prepared to pay for it. It’s exactly the same argument as music piracy.

4 Likes

I totally agree. Music piracy kills the underground.
If you pirate something from an artist that sells millions of albums (ie Taylor Swift), she does not feel it.
If you pirate something from a young, promising artist that does not sell much yet (ie Bob Vylan) he might not earn enough to continue.

Consequently, his music will die and all that is left is Taylor Swift.

I do not want to live in such a world!!!

2 Likes

I think Taylor Swift is actually among the artists who lose the most money if her songs are pirated. She’s paying way less than average of the play revenue to a label. She’s also the artist who needs the money the least though, so…

I’m not arguing piracy is good, but it’s not actually obvious to me when piracy is bad for individual artists. I remember in the bad old days bands leaking albums on torrent sites over the objections of their labels. I’d need to do research to remember which but at least a couple of surprise big seller albums after the pre release leaked copies blew up on torrents.

1 Like

For the sake of argument: let’s say that Taylor Swift would sell 1000000 albums and Bob Vylan would sell 1000. If 500 people decide not to buy, but to download illegally, that is nothing for Taylor Swift. For Bob Vylan it means being a pizza delivery guy again.

So even if they lose the same money, it has different impact!

1 Like