A bit of advice/input please (Fender related)

I’ve just spied a Fender P bass for sale relatively locally for $800aud and I’m tempted.
It’s a 95-96 made in Mexico model . It has been quite well cared for but has a small amount of damage to the finish on the bottom edge near where the lead plug is.
Now I can get a new MIM player for around the $1000 mark in most colours delivered to my door.
So what do you folks reckon? Is the used one a good buy or too expensive?
Is there any difference in the quality between the two?

3 Likes

Forgot to add I have offered $600 but that’s been declined :cry:

4 Likes

I got my 2001 MiM Fender Jazz for right around $500 USD which is about $700 AUD and mine is in flawless condition. I think the $800 AUD ($570 USD) would be reasonable, if it wasn’t blemished. I am basing this on what I’ve seen in the US used market.

As for the MiM Fender Player, playing on a Player model was what made me find out the Fender Jazz was the bass for me. The only thing I didn’t care for was the pau ferro fretboard. There’s nothing wrong with it, I just particularly like the look of dark rosewood.

5 Likes

I know little about Fender vintages so I don’t know if mid-90s MiM is good or not. My general take on “vintage” is that sometimes there’s specific years where they have characteristics you want, and other times “vintage” just means “old”.

Unless there is a specific advantage to those years over new ones (and there might be), I would definitely buy new rather than used if the price difference is only 20%. That just makes no sense to me unless there’s something specific to look for in the older model - new will get you a warranty, for one thing.

And I’m saying that as someone that feels like a failure if they buy new gear - I always prefer used if the price is right :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Okay,here’s a few pics of the bass I’ve found in an ad elsewhere.
Do those look like cracks in the neck/ body join?
I have read that it’s not uncommon amongst guitars that are older?

5 Likes

It looks like a crack there, but also may just be superficial.

4 Likes

From what I’ve read, it’s not uncommon for older Fender’s to get cracks in the paint job at the neck joint and those cracks are not indicative of a crack in the body. I’m not a pro so YMMV.

5 Likes

That’s what I’ve read too . Thanks for the reply @eric.kiser

3 Likes

Oh well he who snoozes looses :pensive: it’s gone and not to me

3 Likes

@Mac

That’s just fate making you buy the new one :slight_smile:

Warranty…Shiny…New…Lovely :smiley:

4 Likes

Always buy new Mac. if you can afford It it’s the way to go

3 Likes

@Mac it’s a sign. With a new one you also get to choose your favourite colour.
Used I would want 30% off retail and clean.
The picture shows a finish crack, common. Seen it on new out the box
Jamie

3 Likes

Thank you all :blush:

I’ve had a sulk and sat playing the Ibanez until the cold drove me in from my outside studio😂

Just about to see what is available around the stores. All hail the mighty internet :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I agree with @Jamietashi - lots more options from new. And now you’ve had that little sting where something got away, so now you can have a proper look and get exactly what you want :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So today my wife w my out for supplies and after a while sent me this photo with a message of “ Guess where I am?”

Looks like she was paying close attention to the basses I have been showing her and an hour later arrived home with an early birthday present!

So it’s Happy Bassday to me :blush::sunglasses:

9 Likes

Hah excellent :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You, sir, are one lucky man. :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

Love that blue color :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Wait, is that the same bass you made an offer on? Or just a re-issue in the same color?

At first I thought you were saved by the bell, and still had time to get a Stingray instead. LOL

You got a good wife there. Congratz and happy early birthdat

3 Likes

Same colour as the used one I was trying to buy but this is a brand new one :point_up:

Always got room for a Stingray @T_dub :joy:

3 Likes