A Practice Aid

Opps forgot my email address . . . frankjolivares@gmail.com
thx

2 Likes

Awesome JerryP

Thank-you. Would like to have your thoughtful ppt creation as well. tokyogator@gmail.com is my email.
Appreciate the assistance.
#Ima play this bass!!!

1 Like

@juli0r, I am curious. Would it be much work to add more blocks of scales ti incorporate the scale seven types?

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

Just wondering if it would be simple, like copy paste code and make minor tweaks?

If it’s a lot, leave it be, but if it’s easy, and you want to do something, it would be cool AF.

Plus, if you do it. Possibly make the default for when the file opens is to have them deselected as to not mix up people that don’t want them.
Thanks

I’m not entirely sure since I haven’t taken up the different scale types yet but basically there exist different scales for each note and it has to say “ScaleType - Note” on the “flash card”, right?

Just unchecked checkboxes under Minor and Major for the additional scales you mentioned?
Should be easy copypasta as you said. Although that’s probably not the way I would implement it because then it reaches the point of unseemly code duplication.

Since my work week is over and the next one starts tuesday I think I should get that done.

3 Likes

Ionian is the Major Scale
Aeolian is the Minor
So you could rename C man to C maj Ionian
Or leave maj and Min alone.

You could just label

C major
C Dorian
C Phrygian
C Lydian
C mixolidian (blues)
C minor
C Lorraine

So on and so fourth

Abbreviations should be good too

C maj
C for
C phy
C Lyd
C mix
C min
C loc

That would work as well.
I leave it up to you, you are a master @juli0r

2 Likes

Just be careful not to mix up too many things here, for the sake of understanding what we mean when talking about scales and modes:

• ionian, dorian, phrygian and so on are more correctly referred to as “modes” or “modal scales” - if they belong to the same major scale, they are “diatonic”
  • if you write C dorian, this would actually belong to the Bb major scale; C phrygian belongs to the Ab major scale and so on - this makes this an interesting exercise, as you’d always start on the C, but play seven different shapes
  • if you, however, wanted to list all the modes belonging to the C major scale, then you should write C ionian, D dorian, E phrygian, F lydian, and so forth
  • ionian, lydian and mixolydian have a major character; dorian, phrygian, aeolian and locrian have a minor character (it is true that we also refer to the aeolian mode as the parallel minor or natural minor, but it is not the only minor) - which is why I would suggest not to use the labels “major” and “minor” when you list the modes/modal scales.

Just wanted to throw this out for clarification :smile:

3 Likes

Allright. Thanks for the clarification, because as I said - that’s not something I have learned yet and my music theory knowledge is basic beginner at best. Do you think this website shows a good overview/structure that I could copy? The Seven Main Modes (Scales) for the Bass Guitar - dummies

2 Likes

I was just going for the modes

Yeah, that should work :smile:

So with what’s there I think I’d list it as

• Ionian (Major)
  • Aeolian (Minor)

Those will be checked by default. The way it already is know
And then I’ll add

• Lydian
  • Mixolydian (dominant)
  • Dorian
  • Phrygian
  • Locrian (half-diminished)

And for the flash cards I’m now not sure how the shorthands would work. Those that @T_dub listed? (I’d leave major as just C. Oh and also assume it’s “dor” not “for”.)

Huh. Who could have known that I’m learning things through coding a learning website? Just kidding. It’s pretty obvious. The best way to learn is to try and teach and to create exercises is just one step before teaching IMO.
Thanks for the suggestion @T_dub and thanks for the clarification again @joergkutter I had to read through it multiple times but I think I understand it now.

4 Likes

In my opinion, @juli0r, I would just stick to the greek names and list them in their “natural” order (ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian, locrian). I would not bring in the major and minor labels for only some of them, and neither the dominant label. This is all extra (or underlying) knowledge, but potentially only confusing for the purpose here.

Sorry, didn’t mean to complicate things :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The reason I want to add at least major and minor is so people who don’t know and don’t want to know what modes are would still be able to use it.

I agree with removing dominant and half-diminished. If you are using the modes in your practice you should have an idea of what you are doing.

3 Likes

I agree with leaving major and minor for those only wanting those.

The ones using the modes will know mar is Ionian and minor is aeolian.

Unless, no, I better not say it cuz it will send you down a rabbit hole @juli0r.

Well, unless you want to make tge flash cards switch from major and minor to Ionian and aeolian IF the blocks of modes are selected.

Or just add all 7 modes, and those using modes can turn off the major and minor because they will have selected Ionian and aeolian with the modes.

I know, I should not have said it, sorry

1 Like

It’s a good idea.
I just dislike UI with magic happening in the background so what would make most sense to me and is most transparent for the user would be a 3-way-switch button for notation on flash cards. (Like the drum track selection)
1: Both - C aeo (min)
2: Modes - C aeo
3: Scales - C min

Another Idea I had was a pretty simple “ToDo” list in a sidebar with timers so one can structure the exercises. So for example:

1. Finger Stretch 5 Minute Timer
  2. Fretting Warmup/Exercise 5 Minute Timer
  3. Scales Practice 15 Minute Timer
  4. Practice Song(s) 15 Minute Timer

But now it’s starting to reach a featureset in which some kind of user management might be a viable thing to do. Should be fairly easy to implement some openID system so one can use existing google/facebook/oid accounts.

4 Likes

I love that idea.

I leave enough time between flash card changes to do 3 shapes for each scale myself.
This is just me, but maybe you can add a side note to each card

3-3-2
2-3-3
Single string

Then again, you don’t need to, some may not know what that means anyway, but it’s three common shapes for scales

I guess that’s too muc, and I don’t need it, Idoit anyway.

For your benefit, if you think of thcommn shape of the major scale, it is 2-3-3. 2 noes on one string followed by 3 notes on the following two.

The minor is 3 -3-2
But they both can be played the other way.
Then they can be played on a single string as well

Plus other ways of course, but those are the shapes I practice

1 Like

If you are going to do these it should be “natural minor” for Aeolian.

I would avoid those parentheticals. While an accurate term for Mixolydian, I don’t think most think of it that way and just think “mixolydian”.

I’ve never heard anyone call Locrian “half-diminished”, just “diminished fifth”, “diminished triad”, or “useless” :slight_smile:

Just my opinion though.

4 Likes

Completely agreed and thanks for the correction that it should be listed as “natural minor”.

The only reason I want the parentheticals for major and natural minor is so people who don’t know about modes are not too confused and can still use it as practice site as I mentioned.

2 Likes

I think I understand what you are asking for but at that point I think it would unnecessary complicate things and confuse users. It’s too much of a nichĂ© feature IMO. The one practicing can decide on which form they want to practice.

That being said - just to fully understand what you are requesting: So not only the scale should be random you want another randomized element telling you in which position you
should play the scale?

1 Like

No, nothing random.

Just a note reminding of shapes to practice. Small, background, watermark, just a reminder.

But like I said, I do it anyway, and it may not mean anything to anybody else, so it’s fine to leave it out.

Randomizing it would actually be helpful for me, now you say it, but I still think it just complicates it further, so I think skip it.

1 Like

Just checked this out @juli0r, little language edit for you:

You used the phrase “full tone major scales” - what do you mean by that? “Full tone” isn’t a music theory term in common usage. It seems like you mean major scales with “natural” (not sharp or flat) root notes?

If so, “Major Scales with Natural Roots” is the most concise phrase I can think of to describe that group of scales. And “Major Scales with Sharp/Flat Roots” for the other group.

But I’m also not sure you need to break those into two groups - a scale starting on a natural isn’t necessarily any easier. For example B major has 5 sharps, but Bb major only has 2 flats. Just a thought.

4 Likes