Adhesive for Nut and other advice

I know quite a few people here have changed nuts. I’m wondering what kind of adhesive you recommend.

1 Like

I just used a tiny tiny dab of superglue.

All it needs to do is hold the nut in place when the strings are off. It serves no purpose when the strings are on, the strings hold the nut down. So go very light on the glue.

4 Likes

Another vote for superglue here

3 Likes

Amen @howard!

You should only need a sharp tap with a plastic hammer to remove the nut. Please don’t be that guy uses half a bottle of super glue on the nut and then cries when he removes the nut and takes chunks of his fingerboard with it.

6 Likes

You can also use a very small quantity of wood glue. Pour some out onto a piece of paper and use something like a cocktail stick. Pick up a small quantity to drop into the slot. Clean up the excess with water and a rag.
The advantage of wood glue is you have time to move it around before it sets unlike crazy glue.

5 Likes

Yep. Any glue should work, as long as you go easy on it.

3 Likes

The reason I asked is because I had superglued a nut on with just a tiny drop on each end of the nut, and when I gave it a light whack with the rubber mallet, the nut came off but the two spots where the super glue was broke the nut and the pieces are stuck in the channel. I’m having to file it down to get it smooth and flat again, and when I put the new nut on I don’t want it to stick that well.
I like the wood glue idea, but that stuff sticks permanently also (I do a lot of woodworking projects, so I know). I’m thinking of getting some denture adhesive and try that.

2 Likes

You can also water down wood glue to make it less adhesive.
You only need a tiny amount to hold the nut. Good luck.

3 Likes

I remember someone on here saying they used plain old white Elmer’s glue. Since it’s only there to hold the nut in place while you change strings this should be fine and offers easy clean up with a wet cloth.

3 Likes

When I changed my nut on the Squier there was no glue.
It was fitted very tight.
If you fit the nut nice and tight you don’t need glue.
Put nut in, turn bass over, shimmy, shake (that’s the fun part).
If nut stays why make it harder if you have to remove by gluing.
The strings will do a great job keeping it in place.

3 Likes

This will vary by bass and nut. Not all basses have nut grooves, some are flush. And not all aftermarket nuts are as thick as the factory original.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the case with my Hofner.

2 Likes

I did not know this. Thanks!
Guess I should look closer at my basses!

3 Likes

I was gonna ask about this. I mean, if we’re talking about watering down other glues, seems like anything that gives it a little tackiness should be “good enough”.

4 Likes

Yeah it should be fine.

3 Likes

Sure, I do it for work all the time. Just make sure it’s a water based glue (PVA); like wood glue. You can’t water down crazy glue (Cyanoacrylates) or expoxy’s etc because they work differently.

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve always used. Elmer’s white glue.

3 Likes

Part II to this question:

How high from the fingerboard should the strings be AT the nut? The nut I ordered from ESP’s vendor (which ESP recommended for this bass) seems rather high. I’m wondering if I need to file down the channel to make it a bit deeper. Advice?

I would file the nut vs the channel. 220-400 grit is what I used.
When I replaced the nut on the Squier the nut was bigger at each dimension.
I simply matched the height, width & length of the old nut.

2 Likes

Yeah file the bottom of the nut, if it is universally high.