Advice on Next Steps

Hey everyone, I am sad to say that I’m just about at the end of B2B. I have loved it and know there might be an intermediate course in the works but it seems like it’s a little ways off? Has anyone tried jamplay? I’d love your suggestions of how people kept moving forward after finishing this great course.

8 Likes

Been there and still haven’t found anything anywhere with the same vibe as B2B.
I’m bouncing between YouTube, RickSmith 2014, and any free trials I can get.
I’m also very very slowly trying to learn how to read sheet music and all the different scales there are available for the bass player.
There’s another big thread on here somewhere about it.
Good luck moving forward. There’s a lot of people here feel your pain

6 Likes

I’m bouncing around a bit with it too. I have regular multiple weekly catch-ups with friends and we’ve started recording stuff which is great. But I often catch myself thinking, “hmm, I’ve got to come up with something different for this track” now, and spot myself falling into the same type of rhythms and style.

It’s a nice problem to have though, and occasionally things just pop out, so I think one of the sure fire way methods is to be constantly or at least regularly playing somehow to keep at it.

Where’s this damn intermediate course anyway?! It’s been ages now :joy:

4 Likes

Like @PamPurrs and @itsratso, I have taken some of Mark Smith’s courses on talking bass and I am also getting two certificates from Berklee College of Music, both have been worthwhile endeavors.

8 Likes

Thanks everybody. I think I will try one of the Mark Smith courses next.

5 Likes

Actually, I just got an interesting email about a grove course. Has anyone tried any of the “become a bassist “courses from Luke?

5 Likes

I get emails from Luke all the time, and do enjoy his videos. But, there’s something about Luke that makes me a wee bit uncomfortable about enrolling in his classes. I can’t put my finger on it, and it’s probably just me. If you like what he has to offer, go for it.
I’m perfectly comfortable with two main teachers, Josh and Mark.

5 Likes

When I finished the course I was a badass, and had no reason to take advice from anyone ells… I jest. But seriously. I took the course not as an all in one package and actually skipped over a lot of what Josh had to offer.

I find that the best way for me to continue and improve is to just take the drive I have to learn to play and apply it. rather than watching videos all of the time and trying to learn new things, I find myself just picking up my bass’ and straight up trying to play along by ear, by transcribing songs I’m having trouble hearing with my ear, and just noodling around the fret board and quizzing myself on what notes i played to help me memorize them better and learn patterns I like the sound of.

There are a number of courses available, I even bought a few from Stu Hamm on truefire, but really when it comes to learning, as much fun as it is to sit down and mimic someone ells and play monkey see monkey do. I think it’s good to balance it out with self teaching just to keep things feeling fresh and getting out of what feels like a linear system to me in the long run.

But good luck finding what personally helps you grow as a musician and get the most out of it. :+1:

6 Likes

Yeah totally agree with that @Mao - this is why I’m focusing on the band practices we do, as that way you just get taken along with it all and come up with stuff. It definitely helps because while some of the tracks we do as similar, something new pops up regularly and I simply have to get on with coming up with something so the song works. Playing with other people is the way for me. But I still like to find different stuff that maybe I might have missed. It’s all good really.

2 Likes

Mark has lots of great course at reasonable prices.
IMO Ariana Cap course
“music theory for the Bass player” course. Is great,well worth the money. righton.arisbassblog.com
True fire has some very reasonable mini course that are great. Bass Cafe by Ryan Madora top notch . Stu Hamm fretboard fitness great to learn modes in two octaves. The pentatonic playground for Bass is awesome also.
I tried jam play its alright just not organized very well. I have way more fun using yousian using note on fretboard and notation. Trying to get away from tab. Those are my 2 cents. Good luck finding that pot of gold.

7 Likes

I really like Mark Smith at TalkingBass as a teacher. His style works well with me.

5 Likes

Ditto, that’s why I’ve taken (and taking) so many courses from him.

3 Likes

I recently finished B2B as well. Currently doing some TalkingBass modules, working through Ari’s book and staring Berklee online in January. With covid still making life “different” I’ve got nothing but time to improve myself.

It seems to be true that there is no other course with the vibe that B2B has. He is the perfect first teacher! He gets you started, keeps you stoked and gives you the confidence/desire to keep learning. I wish I had a teacher like him when I was 12!

5 Likes

@kahiona42
What are you taking at Berklee next semester? I started this Fall

2 Likes

I have an Associate degree from my neighborhood community college. I’m going in as a transfer student to finish a Bachelors in the Interdisciplinary Music Studies program. I want exposure to several things songwriting, production, theory, Ableton, piano,… not enough to be an expert at anything just enough to get myself in trouble :joy: and of course every bass class they offer.

What is your Berklee path?

2 Likes

Nice! I already have a bachelors/masters in engineering, so didn’t want to go that path. I am getting two certificates, an Advanced Professional Certificate in General Music studies (but I am taking all the bass classes they have, plus some theory, ear training, etc) and a second Professional Certificate in Music Production. B2B will have given you a nice foundation.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good plan! My AS was in Geology so obviously not going that route. I’m stoked to get started. Good luck, keep us posted. You’ll be a semester ahead of me so you’re the old timer with all the scoops. :joy:

3 Likes

I see a lot of recommendations for talking bass lessons. Any lessons people like in particular?

2 Likes

@doylecb I think Mark’s scales essentials or chord tones are good ones to start with. Ear training is definitely something to start working on, as that is a long term thing to build up. I know some folks also recommend his sight reading courses, but I have found some music theory first, can make that a little easier. It’s like learning grammar before writing a story.

3 Likes

so mark is doing away with the monthly all access pass to his courses. i have been a subscriber for a while, even though i have bought most of his courses. but i hadn’t bought walking bass or the sight reading courses. he is sending out coupons to all access subscribers, the amount varies depending on how long you have been paying for all access. today, he sent me a coupon that completely paid for the walking bass and sight reading part 1 courses. just outstanding, and much appreciated. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes