TalkingBass and SBL

Greetings and salutations fine people! I am about 75% of the way through B2B and thinking about my next step forward after completion. While I SO wish that Josh had a follow up course, sadly, he does not at this point. I have read something about an All Access Pass to TalkingBass, but it appears that itā€™s no longer available. Does anyone know if this is/was a limited time offer only? Looking at the lessons, Iā€™m afraid the cost would be prohibitive for me without the All Access Pass.

The other option I see is Scottā€™s Bass Lessons. Both sites seem great, but what Iā€™ve read about SBL is that Scott is a marketer first, and is constantly pumping the sales machine. This is one of my pet peeves, and Im not sure Id be happy there. Any input would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading!

4 Likes

There are topics about that already:

or

or

:smiley:

7 Likes

Iā€™m in a minority here but I love SBL. The marketing schtick you refer to is mostly in the free YT stuff. Once on the site his lessons and knowledge are deep, to the point and weā€™ll delivered.

6 Likes

Oh, I forgot. It is super important with SBL ā€œThe Players Pathā€ to be honest in your self evaluation test. Otherwise it starts way too advanced and will discourage you. I almost quit but once I honestly rated my skill level, I re-started and am improving every lesson. I even played several pieces that I never thought I could play. So much info on his site it would take a decade to get through it. He has guest teachers like Ari Cap and Charles Berthoud. Just a wealth of info. I like it.

6 Likes

Thanks for this brother. Iā€™m strongly considering SBL. I like that thereā€™s a ton of info for all levels, and is subscription based. Iā€™m not one to follow the crowd. I ask for and appreciate opinions, but then make my own decision. I understand the being honest with myself part. I usually think I suck far worse than I actually do, so that shouldnā€™t be a problem lol.

5 Likes

not really limited time only, but he has permanently discontinued it.

4 Likes

I love SBL! Scott along with Ian Allison are my favourite teachers but there are several with different teaching styles to suit almost everyone.

I think that the players path is probably the best thing on there but it seems a lot of people get confused with what to do and where to to go and miss the additional material that goes along with the lessons. The new ā€œlearning pathwaysā€ which are still a bit limited also help with directing your learning progress.

The only thing that Scott really tries to sell you once youā€™re an SBL member are his additional ā€œacceleratorā€ courses which are generally offered once a year. So far I think they include: technique, jazz, learning the fretboard and the latest one is slap. As an SBL member you get a $50 discount and for $200 I think they offer very good value considering the cost of in person lessons and you have them ā€œforeverā€, theyā€™re not limited to your SBL subscription.

I believe SBL has a 14 day free trial so give it a try and see if you like it. I went from B2B, started at level 4 on the players path I think, went back to level 2 and now Iā€™m on level 6. Iā€™ve taken a bit of a detour from that for a bit to work on theory and improvising.

I like Mark at talking bass but I enjoy Scott and his stories, it think they add a lot but some people find him a bit too verbose :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My advise on SBL is to spend a couple hours watching Scottā€™s free videos before signing up.
If you donā€™t feel like you want to stab yourself in the ears with knitting needles after, then SBL may be for you.

Thereā€™s a lot of words in SBL. A lot. An extra lot. X2 :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

That sounds like a good approach. However, you will find people here have strong opinions towards one or the otherā€¦ mostly the other :wink:

5 Likes

I tried the 14-day trial of SBL. Everyone has different tastes and tolerances in everything, and thatā€™s perfectly fine. But, personally, I just couldnā€™t with Scott.

Yes, there is a lot of info available on SBL, but creating/maintaining a connection with a teacher of anything is critical to learning from that person. No knock on the guy for being true to himself, but Scott wasnā€™t for me.

And regarding the ā€œfollowing the crowdā€ reference, I came to this conclusion strictly on my own, long before I joined B2B or any other group. YMMV.

7 Likes

TBH you can say the same about Talkingbass :slight_smile:
It is painful in a different way, though :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah, some people prefer various types of teachers over others, and Mark Smithā€™s no-nonsense, academic teaching style is not for everyone, possibly most especially beginners or early-stage-adjacent bass students.

But, for me, Markā€™s no-nonsense approach and format is exactly what appeals most. No palaver, war stories, or general BS. Just the facts, techniques and exercises. Granted, not everyone wants this.

Josh takes a decidedly different, friendly and uber-patient approach to B2B, and itā€™s very successful with total newbies (who are coaxed and gently prodded to reach beyond newbie abilities). Kudos to Josh!

Bottom line, there are a lot of different online courses and teachers for every taste and player ability level. Check them all out and see which one(s) appeal to your needs most.

6 Likes

Another one to consider (and itā€™s free):

I just discovered and bookmarked that recently.

9 Likes

StudyBass by Andrew Pouska is an excellent learning resource. Tons of info and itā€™s free.

7 Likes

study bass is awesome considering the low low price of free. i have done a bunch of markā€™s courses, a few of scottā€™s and i can tell you that they both are much more alike then they are different. you can get a lot out of either one, the deciding factor i think is more about the cost and the personalities of the teachers.

5 Likes

Will definitely check it out. Thanks brother!

3 Likes

Talking Bass does frequent sales that make the classes much more affordable. There is probably one coming up for black Friday.

6 Likes

Absolutely. You can count on it. Probably 30-35% off

3 Likes

Ditto

3 Likes

Talking Bass has a new course called Groove Trainer that looks great

I stand by my previous comments" Mark over Scott ". Just a personal preference

5 Likes