Amp Effects Loop

As most of you know, I have a Rumble 100, which has the effects loop on the back. Ever since I first set it up, I’ve had my Zoom Effects Processor plugged into the In & Out of the effects loop, with the instrument plugged directly into the input atop the amp.

Yesterday, while admiring the spectacular peddle board array of @howard , it occurred to me with this setup, I wouldn’t be able to set up a chain of peddles if I wanted to. So, I switched the setup so that my bass is plugged into the Zoom, and the Zoom is plugged into the input atop the amp.

There’s no difference in sound or effects, that I can detect. So I’m posing the question to those who have amps with effects loops: What are the advantages (if any) of using the effects loop as opposed to just putting the effects processor inline like I just did?

I hope I painted a clear picture with my words, and that everyone will understand my question.

2 Likes

P.S. There are a few very “Techie” guys on here that I hope will jump on this question.

2 Likes

I’m also interested in this question, since I also have a Rumble 100. I’m not planning on using pedals for now, and couldn’t seem to find any info on the topic, but I’d really like to know for future reference! :+1:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

@PamPurrs, my best guess is that it has something to do with the input going in before the “pre-amp” in the signal chain (?) Also the “line out”, XLR, going to the house PA system, etc. etc. I’m very confused about all that stuff . . . maybe someday I’ll eventually understand it {lol} :blush:

PS (even the guy at the Guitar Center couldn’t explain it to me :wink: )

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

I am not sure either, but I think it is so you can use a foot switch to bypass the loop and then activate it again.

2 Likes

My new (used) SWR Workingman 15 has it as well. So I am going to be happy to hear the correct answer too.

2 Likes

some effects sound better in front of the amp, other work better in the effect loop. in general, what work better in front of the amp are distorsion/overdrives, wha/filters. what work better in the loop are modulation effects (reverb …).

but there is no hard rule, it depends on what you prefer and how you use your effects. also the order of your different effects in the signal chain will change the sound and the behavior so it’s important too.

the effect loop just add possibilities in this register. (and is useful for other things than effects)

4 Likes

@terb one thing I discovered is that by setting it up inline like this, I can plug the DAI into the Zoom and therefore get the effects when I record, which I wasn’t able to do when I had the Zoom plugged into the effects loop.

2 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb and say, put everything in line between your bass and amp unless you specifically have a reason to put it in the effects loop. For instance, like @terb said, there is an effect you think sounds better in the effects loop.

For some other uses @terb and @muff talk about it here…

4 Likes

@T_dub, the Rumble 100 does have a foot switch jack, but it only toggles the “overdrive” circuit on and off.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

yeah I did not answer to that : the footswitch for the effect loop is not a very common feature. can be pretty interesting if you use it well. a footswitch for overdrive or switching from one channel to another (if you have more than one) is way more usual.

3 Likes

@Jazzbass19 is correct. It’s a footswitch that Fender sells separately to switch overdrive on and off.

3 Likes

(my Bass POD Pro is a 4 channels and I even don’t have the footswitch :joy: )

3 Likes

It has to do with the order you want your pedal effect compared to the EQ/Overdrive processing on the Fender 100. If you put the pedal in the effects loop, the Fender 100 does all its processing before the signal goes to your pedal. The cabinet simulator is the only effect that comes after the effects loop. Everything on the top line of the block diagram comes first.

6 Likes

That’s a great technical explanation, not that I fully understand it, but it’s helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

Maybe someone else can comment on how pedal order affects the sound you get. If you think of the overdrive and the EQ in the Fender as a built-in pedal, the effects loop gives you a chance to choose your pedal order. Do you want to use an octave pedal and then put distortion on those two notes (octave pedal before input to Fender) or do you want to distort your signal and then create octaves of all the sounds of the distortion (octave pedal in effects loop). It will be a different sound, a different way of layering the texture.

4 Likes

Thanks @DaveT for the diagram and explanation of the fix loop. That makes total sense.
I only have a multi fx (Zoom B1Four) and have not yet gotten too far into customizing sounds.
It has a cool feature where you can simulate a pedal board by arranging pedals in the order you want, , up to 5. I will have fun experimenting with that before I start to create my own pedal board sometime in the future. I will also use suggestions from others, like @howard in his pedalboard post in the Zoom thread to start simulated builds.
I also have a Behringer Chorus / Limiter pedal I picked up NIB at the local Super Guitar Pawn shop for $15. I have used, and liked it very much, but have not tried it after the Zoom yet. I suspect it will be pretty cool tho.

3 Likes

That’s the best bet. With the Zoom I found that just setting up my own little pedal chains and using it in stompbox mode was by far the most interesting and best sounding way to use it, and I learned a lot. Those things are great.

3 Likes

Cool, I may come to you for some help if I have questions, or am looking for suggestions.

1 Like

I do have the rumble 100 and i plug my pedals on the input and do not use the loop

As Terb mentions, some effects better in front, also I feel I have more control through gain
and to make use of the build in effects from the rumble after my pedal

2 Likes