And so the cull begins

After several days of deep thought I’ve decided to drastically thin out my bass collection basically because I really can’t stand the less played ones sitting in my eye-line every night gathering dust.
So tonight my 5er went to a very good home with the distinct possibility it will be knocking out some serious Led Zeppelin tunes very soon.
I think the FrankenP will be advertised next closely followed by the Flying V.
What follows them is up for a little more thought but probably the Schecter D4 could be on the chopping block.
Strangely I do feel quite okay with it all :scream:

14 Likes

I haven’t regretted any of my sales. They all felt great.

4 Likes

Oh you gonna sell that one? Big fan of Schecter guitars but I do wonder how good the basses are.

2 Likes

I sold three saxophones this week, all were good choices.
I spent about 6 months contemplating it though.
They will pay fo the upcoming 5er.
Past that I have a very short list of wants that are all very rare to come up and on the ‘if it appears, grab it’ list.
Other than that I am really happy with all I have and still can’t see selling a single one. They all bring something different and I do bounce around with them all based on what I am wanting to play.

1 Like

My, what a strange journey it’s been.

When I decided to finally take bass playing seriously and started B2B, I had only an Ibanez SR300 from 2009. I’d always wanted a Carvin because they’re just so… fine looking. So I picked up an LB20. It was neat to have and I felt I’d achieved a goal, but ultimately I wasn’t real impressed with it (it came to me in rough condition, so that might be why). I still wanted a “nice” bass, though (not that the SR300 isn’t nice, I just wanted something a step or two up from that). So I bought an SR500EPB, but it had several problems which have all been documented here. Frustrated, I found a Carvin B4 in great condition which I bought, and it’s a nice bass, but it doesn’t “click” with me. And I’ve since got all the issues with the SR500EPB fixed, and it does “click” with me.

So, through all of this, I have discovered that while I will always be a huge fan of the Carvin bass aesthetic, I’m not actually a fan of Carvin basses. Which makes me a little sad after lusting for them for years, but… life is too short to play basses that don’t work for you just because they look good.

Bottom line? I’m culling the Carvins. One is already listed (the LB20), and I’ll be listing the B4 today or tomorrow. The funds for one of them have to go back to the Tim’s Geekery General Fund, but the funds for the other will be put towards the purchase of a really nice, new Ibanez. Something like an SR1300SB or the like.

3 Likes

Carvin are what Kiesel is now?

2 Likes

My Carvin is my least played bass, but also my favorite. Sounds counterintuitive, but it’s an LB75F, and I really only want to use a 5 string fretless bass in specific use cases.

3 Likes

Or even better a really nice used Ibanez.

1 Like

Yes, they sold their guitar line to Kiesel and kept the amps and stuff.

3 Likes

I think I’m kinda over buying used for a while. The LB20, SR500EPB, and B4 were all used. And while they’re all in good condition (now, at least, I really worked on the LB20), I think I’d like to be the first owner of my next bass.

2 Likes

@JustTim fair enough. Now get your big cheque book out for this bad boy.

4 Likes

The only time I’ve had seller remorse was when I sold my BB7335, But I’m over it.

2 Likes

I don’t know how it is for used basses, but I am currently looking into pedals. And almost all the used ones on Reverb are only marginally lower than prices for new.

The GT-1000CORE often is even more expensive used then new.

2 Likes

Normally the used market sits around 50-70% of new, depending on condition and demand.

Now is not “normally”.

3 Likes

The Schecter is a real beauty. Light, easy to play and sounds great plus it is a minor piece of rock’n’roll history being previously owned by the bass player from Jerk. This will be one i am really torn over selling and could possibly stay

2 Likes

What @howard said. This is a great time to sell. Not so good for buying.

3 Likes

Yeah. Historically I have used 50% as my starting point and offered below that to see if they would bite, for good quality gear. That doesn’t work now.

There will be a correction though.

3 Likes

I regretted a few but in the end it’s all good. While gives you, well me the special feeling selling gives an extra special feeling. It’s almost more satisfying, lol. Sometimes I make a few bucks but the act of selling is always awesome.

2 Likes

Overall the prices for the used market in Canada (Ontario particularly) have gotten out of control. Seeing 90’s MIM basses go for what a new one cost is puzzling. And a mass produced factory made item does not fit the vintage bill for me. They state a lot of times “you save the tax”. Instruments wear and I can attest to what happens to instruments that were not properly taken care of. Check the work that had to be done to my G&L in a my thread “Broken truss rod in bad deal”. Used is a risk and the price should reflect that.

As far as letting stuff go, Its not so bad. Probably more liberating then sad. I have started to let go of almost all the accessories (pedals and amps) and next, a bass or two.

Lightening the load means less to take care of and more time to play. Or at least I hope so.

4 Likes

Quality Control for a number of manufacturers has really taken a dive too though, to the point that I am much more confident buying used now, provided the seller is reputable. Long turnaround on warranty work these days.

1 Like