And so the cull begins

I’ve bought most of what’s going secondhand so ill be happy to get somewhere around what I paid for them.
I really don’t feel right about over inflating prices just because I can. I’d rather think someone gets something they’ll use and get as much pleasure out of it as I have

2 Likes

I’m not sure about that. Originally Finder’s Mexican plant got a lot of slack in its early years. It wasn’t till after the big factory fire did things start to ‘get better’.

A lot of the Chinese factories were really putting out duds yet today more and more people are swearing by the VMs and Classic Chinese models. I personally think the Indonesian models are not bad at all. My only gripe is the choice of wood (too fresh) and cut.

Gibson had a controversial run in 2000s for putting out subpar work but I believe they are in a correction phase because of the heat.

I have Fenders and Warwicks from different decades and they are comparable. I would not say the finish is any worse. The fact they don’t use replaceable truss rods anymore was disappointing but you’d hope with proper care you’d never need that work done. Electronics have been getting better in cheaper models but the price reflects that.

The other problem I have had with used lately is the mods people think they should get reimbursed for. Who did the work? How well was it done and why do you think that mod is that appealing? Most mods are very specific to the player. Look how low Keisel custom builds go for in used market. And they are well built.

More to your point I prefer older Warwicks but I don’t think it’s a QC thing.

3 Likes

That’s another interesting thing. I actually think that for the money, Indonesia is making the best instruments in the world at the moment. They are definitely the price/quality leader; my indonesian-made instruments have been easily as high quality as the MIA Fenders I have seen. Granted, they were Yamaha (who take QC seriously) but still all four have been top notch for fit and finish.

Similarly, the two Rockbasses I have owned (recent ones with the Warwick logo, not the early ones) have been just fine.

I would rate my one Made in Taiwan bass as higher quality than the MIA and MIJ Fenders I have tried. It’s just a really well made instrument.

Regardless, of all the instruments I have owned, the two I still have were bought used, and I would stack them up against any new MIA instrument under $1500 or so.

3 Likes

I would certainly agree with you on the Indonesian quality statement @howard .
The few I have owned have been outstanding.
Having said that the German Warwick I have is on another level.
The poorest QC I have encountered was on a new Squier Mustang. Although not an expensive bass it still took a little of the shine off of an eagerly awaited arrival.

2 Likes

It’s already starting here.
Seems like more people are starting to sell and prices are dropping very quickly.
There are still the few folks thinking they can make out but they aren’t selling, the prices get adjusted pretty quick.
The dingwalls are still way too high due to demand, but not sure anyone is actually paying them. Talkbass prices seem to still be the same and reasonable though.

2 Likes

I am figuring that this will get worse and worse for the next few years as manufacturers try to cut costs and maintain margins as shipping prices continue to take profits from them. I’d expect changes to their models for a few years as well, cheaper components, etc too. When a shipping container cost $3800 from Asia to the States prior, and now it costs $22-25,000, manufacturers are not going to be able to just raise prices, costs will have to be cut too.

In the brass/woodwind world, instruments made during and just after WWII are of very poor quality compared to pre WWII. The good materials, and the good craftsmen, were re-deployed to the war effort. I imagine we will talk about Covid era instruments in much the same way for years to come.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s gonna be interesting times for sure. I think you’re right about the near term effect; there’s going to be serious scrambling to maintain margins.

3 Likes

I haven’t regretted selling music equipment with the exception of guitars. I had a mid-80’s Charvel LS-1 Goldtop and a mint white Charvel Model 6. Brilliantly constructed guitars and absolute tone monsters. I also had a Kitty Hawk 100 watt tube amp head that I sold. And a PRS Budweiser edition. Also a Yamaha SA series semi-hollow body. I take it back, I regret selling them all. But at the time, I needed home medical equipment for my late wife (home dialysis machine, oxygen machine and many other things) So, in reality, I don’t regret it as I had to get the medical equipment. Honestly, I would do it all again.

4 Likes

Regrets? I’ve had a few… But then again, too few to mention.

8 Likes

The main thing is that you did it your way @Mike_NL

7 Likes

I feel a song coming up :laughing:

4 Likes

The LB20 left yesterday. Once it left I got a bad feeling about selling the B4. I re-strung it with some D’Addario NYXL 45-100s, adjusted the truss rod, and set the intonation. All said and done, I’ll probably be keeping it. It’s a 22 fret bass with passive Carvin J/J pickups; both of my Ibanez are 24 frets with humbuckers, one of which is passive with an active EQ and the other which is solely active. So the B4 is a nice change of pace.

2 Likes

Give it a bit and see how you feel. Your change of mind may simply be a reaction to letting one go.

You may want a bass which is a change of pace from your Ibbies, but the B4 may or may not be that bass. You should be excited to play a bass in it’s own right.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s my plan. I suppose I should have said, “I’ll probably be keeping it a while”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can always sell something later on, much harder to keep something you sold too quickly.

2 Likes

How’s the cull going? Been doing my own little cull, down to 4 basses

2 Likes

To be honest, very slowly.
The Schecter Devil bass has had no bites at all and I swapped the P bass i was going to sell.
Laziness has played its part too as I should have sorted the plug on the Franken P and I’m still waiting for a pick guard blank for the flying V.

2 Likes

Finally the first bass , the Schecter, has gone. Took a bit of a hit on it and had a bit of hassle with the courier collection but she’s on her way across to the other side of Oz.
I’m still waiting for the delivery of some pick guard stuff to finish the V and then either that or the FrankenP will go next

5 Likes

Well done.

I decided to list the Carvin B4. Put it up for $450, including the O(I assume)HSC. Immediately got hit with 2 offers, both for $250.

SMH

2 Likes

That always happens with my listings as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes