Any good Bass Tab or sheet music websites out there?

I think UGC Pro requires credit card for the free trial like most other sites these days, so they can hope you forget to cancel and can charge you when it ends :slight_smile:

I can vouch for the UGC Pro and Official tabs. I’ve learned close to 100 songs using them so far and found maybe 3 total errors, and your ear will tell you when you come across any.

Their player is really nice, it’s similar to Songsterr like Howard described in that it’s basically sheet music in tab form. UGC also has all the different instrument parts separated out so you can display tab/solo/mute whatever parts you want.

You can also Transpose & Pitch Adjust by half steps which is useful on songs tuned down a half step. They even have well-recorded versions of the songs without vocals so you don’t always have to play along to MIDI music.

Here’s an example –

Here’s the expanded Instruments panel –

And here’s the advanced options –

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 12.58.27 PM

I think it’s well worth the $25 or so a year considering the use I’ve gotten out of it in just 6 months. Though I will say if there’s not a Pro or Official tab available for a song, I go with youtube or Songsterr rather than relying on UGC’s free tabs (garbage).

7 Likes

Ahh, cool. Yeah, those look really good.

3 Likes

Tried them both for a few months. Found UG superior and also a lot cheaper. The official tabs which you can only access with a PRO account are pretty good and I prefer the UG player over Songster (hello portrait mode). You can solo/mute/edit multiple instruments and the better sounding backing tracks make it superior imo.

Just my opinion ofc. My advice is to try them both and see which one you like better. Both are good and it just boils down to personal taste.

Edit: just checked my songsterr account and it seems the backing track is pretty decent too. It’s more focussed on emphasizing the selected instrument (which you can mute too). Still think the backing track on UG sounds better.

I got a UG Pro special deal subscription for the first year for only $10 versus a monthly $ 10 subscription from Songsterr. So that’s quite a difference in costs. In both cases you want the PRO or PLUS to make good use of the platform.

I can confirm that the free tabs are mostly garbage.

2 Likes

Thanks guys!
I went with UG Pro and I’m not disappointed with the Official tabs.

3 Likes

I gave up when I was even making corrections to guitar tabs, after just starting learning guitar. So much garbage there. Not all though.

Yeah, especially tabs for less famous songs are decent enough. It does suck that some artists don’t want to share tabs like RATM.

I read somewhere that the official sheet music is published in cooperation with the person who holds the copyright of the song. Doesn’t mean the sheet music is always 100% correct but should be a lot better then most fan tabs.

1 Like

How is the Pro corpus for genre variety?

Genres filtered on official (PRO) tabs:

Rock 15,536
Metal 4,635
Pop 1,971
Folk 1,718
R&b, Funk & Soul 1,182
Hip Hop 685
Country 635
Soundtrack 558
Electronic 465
Jazz 123
Religious Music 117
Classical 107
Blues 92
Reggae & Ska 76
Disco 54
Comedy 48
World Music 42
New Age 8
Experimental 6
Darkwave 5

You can filter on difficulty, tuning, decade, genre, style, instrument, key, etc. Seems Rock is by far the most popular genre.

3 Likes

Just 5? This makes me sad. Just guessing - all Xymox? :slight_smile:

How is post-punk fit in? between Rock and Electronic?

Darkwave is Dead can Dance and Cold Cave. Never heard of them lol.

There is a lot of punk styles you can pick from but post-punk specifically has 135 official tabs and about 8700 fan tabs. The amount of fan tabs for each genre is utterly insane.

I would probably filter on style and not genre.

Dead Can Dance is amazing!

Lisa Gerrard is a really stirring vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVN-N839_Ro

1 Like

Those sounds with her vocals gives me goosebumps. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Happy to pass them along :slight_smile:

Check out the album “Spleen and Ideal”.

1 Like

Thats because most bass lines in hip hop are sampled and are found in rock, pop, soul, funk, R and B or Jazz :slight_smile: cool breakdown thanks for posting!

1 Like

No Clown Core??? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only Deathcore it seems! A good friend of mine introduced me to clown core years ago. I still got traumatised by that :rofl:

I do fancy this kind of “clown core”. One of my favourite improv videos!

1 Like

Ya those guys, their stuff is amazing, the beats and sax melodies are crazy good!

Charles Cornell has a good video on them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh man, (Clan of) Xymox! I had completely forgotten about them. Surprised anyone outside of The Netherlands has even heard about them.

1 Like

Among the most popular darkwave/electrogoth bands in the appropriate clubs in the US at the time, all the way back to the Stranger 12" :slight_smile:

Actually even before that, I remember hearing Moscovite Musquito in clubs before Stranger came out. But that was probably their first big underground club hit I remember.

Always liked them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMM2iyW8xI0

1 Like

I just subscribed to Ultimate Guitar and find their interface very cinfusing. I can’t seem to get Pro tabs that show a bass clef staff or the bass tab alone. I just get the guitar treble staff music and six string tabs. That only gives me the lower notes of what the guitars are playing. Do you know a way to get a bass tab or the bass clef notes?