Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

@chris6 congrats! You made the right choice… Price has nothing to do with it; red basses (just like red motorcycles) are just better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

What a coincidence, my last bike:

It’s true. Red’s just faster.

3 Likes

Hehe, looks familiar.

2 Likes

My other passion. Not quite red but deep orange is very close

5 Likes

not mine :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll play… I REALLY want a Schecter SLS Elite-4!!! Here’s how I got here…

I’ve been following LowEndLobster’s channel on YouTube for a while now. I really enjoy his reviews, and he makes me laugh. He has a video where he puts a Fishman Fluence Pickups and Preamp kit in a Solar bass. WOW, I loved the way this thing sounds, so many options!!!..

So that led me to thinking about putting them in my Ibanez SR370E. I think it’s doable, unless it really requires a lot of body modification, and the soldering doesn’t scare me at all. However the Pickup/preamp kit cost just about what I paid for my B-stock Ibanez. I’ve stuck with this new hobby of mine for almost a year and I really do love it, and I’d REALLY like a NEW bass :smiley: Cause then I’ll have 2 and have more options depending on what I want to play.

So let the research begin… The Fishman Fluence quest led me to Schecter, which has the SLS Elite series of basses that come with the Fishman Fluence pickups and preamp already baked in. Shopping. Wow… this bass has everything I think I’m looking for. Looks great, neck through construction, strung trough the body, and the Fishman Fluence pickups and preamp I already like with the different voicings and single coil mode options. It’s really everything I’m looking for.

There are only a hand full of videos on the Schecter SLS Elite series. This one is pretty good and I’m not worried about his Victor Wooten/slap concerns at all LOL…

So this leads me to the only two problems I have.

Problem 1: I really want to go try this bass out before I buy it!!! But I’ve discovered that where I live in Upstate NY is a black hole for any bass I’m interested in. Most of the music shops are very small, have very few basses, and are an hour+ from my house if they have any inventory to speak of. There is small Schecter dealer about an hour north, but they don’t have one according to their web site inventory. There is a Guitar Center about an hour south but the status on all the colors on their web site is “This item is backordered but is available to reserve now.” So I’m not really sure how to pull this task off.

Problem 2: What color to pick??? I really do like them all, but I an only afford ONE :slight_smile: I think the Antique Fade Burst looks great with that red fade out. But so does the black fade burst, which is the current leader in my brain. The all black satin one (called the evil twin) looks great too! just worries me that it will be like every black car I’ve ever owned and any mark, dust, or even finger print will stick out like a beacon in the night. But the black one does just look well… evil and I’m digging the glow in the dark side markers and the roman numerals on the frets. Still leaning towards the black fade burst color though… Sigh… decisions decisions…

Thanx
Chris

7 Likes

Black fade or matte imo, looks like a fun bass.

2 Likes

Those colours choices seem to fall into two distinct camps which should help you decide, dependent on the style of music you like to play. I’m old school, I love jazz and blues and 60s rock so I’m a sucker for anything like that antique fade burst but if you are into more modern harder rock or metal then the matt or black fade would probably suit better.

2 Likes

Schecter loyalist here. They make excellent instruments with the biggest thing being feel.

2 Likes

Very nice @chris6! Congratulations!

The SLS Elite 4 is a beautiful bass and the Fishman pickups sound great :heart:

There’s a Cort as well using those pickups by the way… more choices :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Damn you @Krescht!!!.. JK :grinning: LOL… I just watched that video 3 times through headphones, studio monitors, and semi ok Bang Olufsen computer speakers. That court sounds great, and is in the same price range too.

I think for me the Schecter SLS Elite would still be my first choice based on looks alone. Still leaning towards the black fade burst color too. But I’d have to play them both for any real judgement to be made. I do like the sound of the Court as well as I can compare the two via YouTube videos. I’ll give it a close second to the Schecter.

What would be the odds of finding someone with BOTH in stock??? LOL

Thanx
Chris

2 Likes

Here is a video of a guy bass battling people with the bass u were looking at. sounds amazing.

2 Likes

If you aren’t familiar with Charles Berthoud, I would watch some more of his stuff. One of the top technical bass players around today. He’s even had compliments from Marcus Miller.

3 Likes

He is absurdly good.

2 Likes

Being able to split the pickups into single coils with the Schecter is a nice addition.

I’d rarely use it but it definitely adds to the versatility.

1 Like

For me it’s all about feel. There are a million things you can do to make a bass sound how you want it, but not much you can do to make it feel better and be easier to play (to your preference).

3 Likes

Those are fun though. Trivia, the first bike I ever wrecked was a CR125R :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s yet another reason I am in love with my 604. Feel is subjective and I have only found one or two basses that even match it for me. None that beat it.

Yeah exactly. I mean a Fender P might be a better feel for someone. I really wanted to like Washburn, but the one at GC I played didn’t feel nice, maybe Id have to try one with a better setup. I liked the feel of Yamaha too, which is why I have one!

2 Likes