Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

@Scoundrel1680 Just got a white one of those, it is sexy. have not seen it up close yet, but pictures are very nice.

$500, but it is pawn shop, I bet i could walk out with it for $400.
Thing is, if I did not want it after playing it for a while (which I doubt, cuz i have played the GRIND, and i suspect they feel similar, maybe?) I would want something I could turn a profit on, and I am not sure if I could get more then $400 if I sold it (without the case, so I would get that as profit), but depends on the actual condition.
problem is it is about 45 min to 1 hour and 15 min drive one way, so I hate to go out there for nothing is I don’t like it.

There are a few basses out in that area that I have interest (at least in seeing in person) in, so if another pops up and I can go to look at 3-4, I might just take the trip.
This Peavy and a MIG Warwick 4 string corvette fretless (which I would buy to flip)

3 Likes

I have to admit that after a long time of not being really sure about Warwicks, I need a 5 string Corvette Double Buck to complete my collection. One made in Germany because if I’m going to pay that much for it, it won’t be coming from China…

3 Likes

Well, the price difference is pretty staggering :slight_smile:

I have my Rockbass up for sale now in fact. I’m asking a premium price for it and it’s still only $425. A used MIG will be double that (at least) unless it’s trash or the seller is desperate. I see used teambuilts sell for over $1k all the time. And if it is custom shop, much much more.

The 2014-ish and later Rockbasses are actually quite good, you’d be surprised. Once they started putting the Warwick logo on them they started taking quality seriously with them. MIG are definitely better, of course, but the Rockbass line is still solid and well made. Just avoid the pre-logo ones without the Warwick bridge.

I’ve seen a MIG teambuilt selling for $700 with a broken truss rod. Not even joking. And I bet someone bought it.

2 Likes

Ah. There’s a Bought in Australia tax that you haven’t accounted for. There’s a MIG locally with a slightly parted headstock which is a little worn and it’s $1300 Oztralian dollars. Where’s your rockbass ad? Surely transport to the other side of the world will only cost another kidney. I have two.

2 Likes

I have it listed on Mercari here in Tokyo. (snipped the link to it, it’s useless for anyone here unless they can read Japanese).

Shipping would be ruinous though. And I’m asking top dollar for it, they are like $550 new here.

It’s currently strung and tuned BEAD.

I’d recommend finding one locally. This would probably come close to $1k AUD once shipped.

2 Likes

I believe that you are correct. :smiley:
Local looks pretty good at present…

3 Likes

Here’s what is haunting my every day… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Somehow, I can’t convince myself to get a Fender P-bass :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I was looking at this gorgeous Fender. Then I realized I had the wrong price and it was a scant $3000 more than I thought it was.

8 Likes

I am a beginner to playing Bass and I currently borrow my sons budget Yamahaha😀 and was wondering what to do about purchasing a new bass. Should I go to a music shop and try what they’ve got or just by one online untried? Anyone had any experiences buying untried?

4 Likes

I’ve never had any attempt to buy without playing. I worked in music shops for a few years. During that time I learned that every instrument that we unboxed was different. Some Squier basses absolutely killed, some of the US made instruments just didn’t have it.
I ended up purchasing the Japanese built Jaguar bass rather than any of the J-bass US-made or custom shop things because it PLAYED.
It just connected to me.

So, I’m a huge proponent of playing and buying THE INSTRUMENT you play. Not playing a make and model and then ordering one. The one you order may not have juju - it may be out of alignment. It might not have the best piece of wood for the body. There are too many variables, and I have found them all to be important.

11 Likes

Thanks for your reply. This makes sense​:grinning::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

@Gio Interesting point and I would definitely agree that you should buy what you have directly played if the Bass is well maintained and people aren’t beating on it in the store.

I had to order a Squier Limited Edition Vibe 70’s P Bass as there was no other stock in at the time and what was in wasn’t in the greatest shape.

I think I got pretty lucky with it. I and everyone else at the store was pretty surprised at the build quality and the shape it was in. Plays great, sounds amazing and the sea foam green is killer.

Sometimes I wish stores had more in stock than they do.

I also wish people would respect instruments more.

5 Likes

It appears my exclamations of joy were too soon. Plugged the Squier into the headphone amp and everything “seemed” fine last night.

Plugged into my Rumble 25 tonight and have a buzzing that stops whenever I touch anything metal. Signs point to a shielding issue.

This appears to be backed up by the fact that my Sterling does not do this.

Sad. Took a week to get and it gets all the buzzing :frowning:

Back to GC and we may be looking at a Fender or something different.

4 Likes

My bass does some buzzing if I turn up the volume on the guitar. But if I keep it midway or lower it goes away. You can also get some cheap shielding tape and try that. Or ask a shop if they’ll take a look at it.

3 Likes

@Luther I brought it back and ended up going close to what I had:

For whatever reason, the Squier had the loud buzzing when the tone was turned up regardless of the volume. I tried every room in the house and even tried using some of the nicer surge strips and no difference.

At Guitar Center there was no issue.

The Sterlings didn’t have any trouble, but I’m still bummed because I really wanted to have a Fender made product and the fit and finish on this one was just so good.

A suggestion the tech made was getting a Boss pedal to see if that would reduce the noise the next time I decided to try and venture into a passive style Bass.

Looking at Fender still at some point - maybe their shielding would be better on the MIM models. Also Sire seems to have some very nice models in at around $500 - they are passive as well, but may help.

As a side note, you had mentioned shielding tape - where did you apply this? I would be very interested to find out!

4 Likes

ooooh that’s a beauty! I watch a few scratch build youtube videos and they always mention using some sort of tape inside where the wiring is to help with the shielding. Build your DREAM Les Paul for LESS than $300!!! - YouTube as seen here. something to consider, I’m no electrician. My bass when I opened up the panels is just wood and I have some buzz. I thought about getting some of the tape to try it out but I just keep that nob turned down so I don’t have to worry about it.

4 Likes

@Luther Very interesting! In the future, if I go with another passive (I really want to, but so far, the actives have all the wins.), I will try these things!

4 Likes

Yes, I love this idea, and in many cases it does work, but I find this to be more on the used market, then in retail. Due to what is quoted next.

Yes, exactly.
It appears that the major retailers (GC and Sam Ash and then the online equivalents) are against this way of shopping. and they want to stock what they think will sell off the wall (mostly low priced budget basses) and some of what they think will sell eventually, and or are “Made” to stock based on distribution agreements with the major mfg of the instruments.

I can’t walk into a local GC and say, Hey, I want to check out a
Sterling by Music Man Stingray Ray34 black ash,

I can however,
proceed to Step A
-Walk into a local GC and say, Hey, I want to check out a
SBMM Stingray Ray34 black ash,
-"Sorry, we do not have them in stock, proceed directly to step C
-“sorry, none in stock, instead try SBMM Stingray 34 Natural Ash, or White, etc…” proceed to step B

Step B
-You play it, like it a lot, so you can
proceed to step C
-you play it, don’t like it and go back to the drawing board and look for a. new bass to buy!!!

Step C
-Order the SBMM Stingray 34 Black Ash, pay for it, wait for it to ship to the store, and then take it home and try it out, and if you like it, you get to keep it and you are done, if you don’t like it, you take it back to GC and get back in line, either at step B (play a different color, and if you like one they have and the color buy it) or go back into step C and just keep buying them over and over until you get one that plays like the one that was in the store, but was the wrong color.

THE PART THAT REALLY SUCKS IS THAT they won’t just bring the bass into the store for you to try out, even if it is in stock within 100 miles, if it if in stock within 100 miles and you want to make the trip, you are welcome to do so, but they won’t bring it in for you.
if you don’t want to make the trip, you option is to buy it, have it shipped etc…

I wish there were better options for a store that could do that for you, but they are not around anymore, and if they are, they are not around during Covid,

What has been fortunate for me thus far is that I have become good at setting up basses the way I like them, and have a pretty good chance to get a $300 to $900 bass set up the way I would like to play it, so that it talks to me, at least that has been the case this far.
But
I have not bought the bass I want, a couple times because I could not try it first, and because they won’t bring it in for me, and I will have to purchase it just to get it to the store to try it.

8 Likes

This. All this.

5 Likes

Omg finally I have a name for my sickness! I have been abused my superiors at work for sooo long! I mean come on it is called “Google” look it up… on google, I guess!

2 Likes