Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Aside from not being worthy of a new bass… I’m thinking of having http://www.highlineguitars.com custom build me a bass, broadly modeled after a Gibson Victory. Maybe a short scale (Jack Bruce played a short scale for years, and I’d give my left… to play like him), and maybe a 4 string (my current ride is a Gibson EB-5 5-string). Only other thing I haven’t figured out is the pickups. Dual humbuckers… But that’s all I can say. Might go Alnico 2 on the neck, and Alnico 5 on the bridge. Maybe split one, reverse phase the other. Lots to think about.

2 Likes

Speaking of having an instrument built…

While not a bass, the lowest string is in bass territory… and I’ve got to tell somebody about it… I certainly can’t tell my wife.

I wanted to experiment with open tuning on a 7-string so I got a cheap Jackson. Turns out that my assumptions about the possibilities in having a extra string were correct (instant 7th chords… awesome!). So I started searching for 7-string guitars that don’t look like they were made for Death Metal… I was sorely disappointed that they are few and far between (and expensive, $1500-$2500). So I ordered a custom 7-string guitar from a Chinese company called Acepro, the brand being Grote. $310! Fingers crossed about the build quality/playability.

Yesterday they sent me pics of the finished guitar:

And it’s now on it’s way to it’s new home! :slight_smile:

(BassBot, feel free to delete this post, as it’s not bass related, but I had to get this off my chest. lol)

9 Likes

I haven’t seen anything that I like more than the Sire M5, mid priced, like the body style, the fact that the fretboard is ebony instead of a rosewood wannabe. I just like everything about it. My buds a Roscoe fan, we’ve known Keith for 40yrs or more back when we would skip school and drive 40 miles to hang out in Greensboro at his original guitar shop and play guitar all day. He’s got a couple of Roscoes and just commissioned another one…with a base figure of 3K, what are you getting out of a 3K guitar that you can’t find in a 1200-1500 bass. I just couldn’t justify it to myself much less to the wife.

4 Likes

I’m curious to hear how this turned out. I’ve noticed Grote come up on Amazon when searching for Firefly, but haven’t seen them getting as much attention from reviews.

4 Likes

I’ll keep ya posted but I’ve got about a 3 week wait before it arrives.

3 Likes

Update: They shipped the bass (from China) on Monday.

This evening (Wednesday) I got a text message from DHL… Delivery attempted; recipient not home.

WTF? 3-days from China? Amazing!

Even more amazing… I’m working in Alabama for the next two weeks and the guitar is in Michigan. :frowning:

6 Likes

it will be missing you if you don’t get home to it soon.
cheers Brian

4 Likes

I did find a nice @JoshFossgreen Bass for sale nearby.
Ohhhh that is sexy.

I am gonna go look at it with a friend tomorrow, he wants it. I said he could have it since I have my LTD B-4E which is quite similar. I have wanted one of these tho, they are pretty sexy.
The case is nice too.

7 Likes

Nice bass, I wouldn’t mind it either :+1: Toby.

3 Likes

I am looking at this for my next purchase. A MIM Fender Jazz Bass with the Pau Ferro fretboard. I am finishing up a writing contract and will hopefully have the extra cash to pick it up.

6 Likes

Very nice @T_dub. How much is it listed for?

3 Likes

I’ve more than just got my eye on this, it’s actually on it’s way to me. I got a great deal on a slightly used one on Reverb.

Yamaha BB735 in stealth black. Sara is already working on customizing the pick guard (I had an extra one from my BB235). Once I get it, I’ll post pics in “show us your basses” with the custom pick guard on it.

11 Likes

Really interested in getting one of these, OFC its a DHGate special so its likely not got great guts. But id love to nab one and tear it apart and put some authentic Ricky parts into it. The body is apparently Alder and the neck is Maple, So it should still sound and play well with a little luthier work. but who knows until I get a chance to try it.

6 Likes

@PamPurrs Very nice Stingray! Cannot wait to hear it. @Mao I would love to hear that thing stock it may be worth throwing some money into

5 Likes

Actually, it’s not a Ray, it’s a Yammie BB735

3 Likes

It is lol I was looking at another picture when I typed that my apologies. Yamaha are fantastic basses

5 Likes

Yes they are. I have a BB235 now, this is an upgrade for me.

6 Likes

I can’t wait to hear how it sounds you will have to give us the rundown if it compares to your other model.

5 Likes

Looks awesome Pam @PamPurrs,
Looking forward to seeing Sara’s artwork on the pick gaurd👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

That’s the color I would get too. Played a few in person, it looks and feels great. It’s this amazing super-dark matte grey on black.

4 Likes