Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

I’ve been looking at one of these Epiphone Thunderbirds. I love the natural finish.

5 Likes

They are pretty. I would like to play one but there aren’t any around here I can try out.

2 Likes

Yes. The closest one to here is about a 90 minute drive away. Maybe I’ll get up there to try it eventually.

2 Likes

I think this is a personality defect… I’m a tinker. I’m rarely happy with something as-is, and always want something different…

Soooooo…

I’ve already found a master luthier to custom build me a unique bass…

It’s going to be a reimplementation of a 1981 Gibson Victory (Artist) 5-string. Swamp Ash body w/ Buckeye burl topper in tobacco sunburst, Maple neck w/ Rosewood fretboard. Chrome Babicz bridge, Gotoh GB528 tuners, and dual Sims Super-8 pickups with an Aguilar OBP-1 active preamp. And a black marble (acrylic) pickguard.

Nothing better to do with my money. Le sigh

6 Likes

… you must have mis-typed.

I believe it was: “Nothing better to do with money**.**”

5 Likes

No, I’m only irresponsible with my own money. Being irresponsible with OPM is how fights starts lol

5 Likes

I’ve been looking into getting something a bit different from the trusty Squier P-Bass I’ve had since the beginning. Maybe a P/J (Yamaha BB or G&L) or something a bit more modern (Ibanez SR or G&L L-2000).

4 Likes

The SR line is great and I can also recommend the Yamaha TRBX line, love mine. And if you want even more different than a P-bass there’s Warwick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know that I want to depart super far away from it. I really enjoy that sound. I’d just like something nicer and maybe a larger range of sounds than my P, and that seems to be in the price range I can afford.

3 Likes

I know that this is from before I knew about Bassbuzz.
But I need to acknowledge the genius.

3 Likes

I’m going to say something very strange:
I now have two el cheapo instruments: a Harley-Benton fretless 5-string and a Samick Gregg Bennett Design J-bass (which apparently isn’t as el cheapo as I thought, since it has Seymour Duncan-designed pickups, a Wilkinson bridge and Grover machine heads)… and I can’t see how, between them, these two would not meet my needs.

Having said that, what with my small hands and short fingers, I do occasionally ogle the odd short-scale bass. In fact, back in December, I was considering (and at the verge of ordering) a short-scale, but when I saw a video of Tai Wilkenfeld, whose hands may be even smaller than mine, I told myself to suck it up and bought the Samick.

I’m pretty sure that, if I accidentally run into a short-scale, I’ll still give it a spin.
I guess it’s a Good Thing that there aren’t any music shops in my vicinity… :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t find this strange at all. Finding the instrument that suits you takes time. It’s like choosing a lover, you need to experiment to find out what you really like.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’d use the lover analogy. I like a good burger, but I also like pork tenderloin. :wink:
I can see myself occasionally throwing a short-scale on the barbec-- wait, no.

7 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

https://www.long-mcquade.com/110547/Guitars/Bass-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Player-Jazz-Bass-Maple—Buttercream.htm

4 Likes

Welcome @mariacp! Check out the “Introduce Yourself!” Thread and say hello.
Nice Fender.

3 Likes

I’m wondering about this Squier VM Telecaster Bass … it’s a 32" which is cool, I think I’d like to find one (used) but they seem to be pretty rare …

6 Likes

Ohhhhh. I don’t usually jump for Fender / Squire Basses. Not I don’t like, and not that I don’t fully appreciate Leo Fenders contribution to the modern music world, I just don’t jump for them, I will leave it at that.

But this here, I am putting on my jumping shoes. I have always loved, even owned, telecasters.
So, this excites me a bit, I will investigate further. Thanks @terb for sharing.

4 Likes

My main guitar is a Telecaster and I own two other Teles, and I’ve owned at least a dozen over the ages. The body shape feels very familiar to me, and I think that a Tele-shaped bass could work for me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I said it in the other thread but I love the Tele headstock on a bass, just looks cool.

5 Likes