Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Very nice Joerg👍 @joergkutter
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice!

Bacchus is definitely a legit brand, and is huge here. Owned by Deviser, a high end guitar company. Basically one of the really excellent Fender and Gibson cloners from way back, very high quality instruments. Been making great basses for a long time.

edit: found an english page with info.

5 Likes

If I were more of a “wheeler/dealer” (like @T_dub :wink:), I’d probably be buying this bass, alone for the fact that it is a rare one in this neck of the woods (and potentially also because it is a pretty good bass; and good-looking for sure)… Alas, as I have now already committed to a Sandberg, my bass budget is pretty maxed out and I’d better take it easy for a while :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Yeah I would probably rather have that Bacchus than any Fender. Looks like a great bass. The new Woodline 4-strings start from about $600USD here and go up to about $1500, for what it is worth.

3 Likes

Thanks! I would guess that the “cheaper” ones are perhaps not made in Japan, but somewhere in Indonesia? I think I read somewhere that they also have a less expensive line of models now, just like many other brands…

3 Likes

Not sure. I thought they were all MIJ but I could be wrong.

Also the top end ones are more than I thought, just saw a few for $2400.

From their web site it looks like aside from the lower end woodlines they have a few other budget lines in the $300-500 range. They claim the HANDMADE series Woodlines are all MIJ (they even say where) but they didn’t specify for the others that I saw.

3 Likes

The one I saw is definitely a HANDMADE one… but, oh well, another time perhaps :grin:

3 Likes

I’ll just send you my shipping address then??

What an amazing bass.

4 Likes

As soon as your check clears :grin:

5 Likes

Hi all! New to B2B. Been surfing the forums and love the positive vibes and great info.
Currently playing Fender precision bass for about 4 years. Looking to get a second bass to become my main and really like the look of the Schecter SLS Evil Twin-4 and the ESP LTD F-1004 FM. Just reading the specifications, they both seem like great basses, more than I will ever need, and they both seem to be about equal in all respects. I’ve watched and read all the reviews I can find.
My focus is blues and rock with probably some pop thrown in.
I would love any feedback on Schecter or ESP or either of these guitars.
Thanks,
John

5 Likes

Welcome @Gecko !
It’s very hard to give a recommandation on those two basses. I own an Evil Twin and it is really versatile with the Fishman Soapbars. The thing is that the ESP has exactly the same :sweat_smile:
The thing is that there is no single bass associated with a specific music genre, even though there are some general tendencies. Moreover I might not be the best person to give good feedback as I have only started playing last year :wink:
Best would probably be to find a place where you can try them out.

3 Likes

Absolutely wish I could find one or both of these local to try them out!
How are you enjoying the Evil Twin? Is that your first bass or do you have others to compare it against?

3 Likes

It’s not my first one, I have a few other basses :sweat_smile:
I really like it. It’s a good quality instrument with lots of possibilities. I wouldn’t use it for slapping though because of the limited spacing between the 24th fret and the neck pickup.
However, I recently got myself a Sandberg VM4 that quickly became my goto bass. There’s nothing wrong with the Evil Twin, it’s just that I prefer the sound of the VM4 :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

That one on the left is SWEET, @Gecko

4 Likes

Welcome @Gecko!

3 Likes

I have an ESP LTD B-4E. it is similar to the F, just a different body cut.
I do love the “F” too, and I do have an FRZ, the Tom Array Signature LTD, but it is not my go to. But I would love to have that LTD you are looking at.
All that said,
I have owned one Schecter, and I have played many others, and I have always been impressed with them, and they always feel just right, just like they were built for me to play them. course I have a habit of thinking basses were made for me to play and stock up on more then I need.
I am starting to sell off some of the herd now, and going to knock it back to 3 basses, and the LTD is going to be one of them. The Sterling Stingray Ray4, and my EBMM Stingray SLO Special will be the other two that I keep.

One thing I would add is I think the LTD stock pick ups are better then the pick ups on the Schecter’s that I have played had. I have heard people say they do pick up swaps on schecters more then i hear about it on LTD’s
But that is about the only knock on the Schecters that I could say, and I only say that the LTD’s are better, not necessarily that the Schecters are bad

3 Likes

Thanks @T_dub!
That’s great feedback and very helpful :grinning:

3 Likes

The new Solar basses look killer. Definitely on my ever growing list of basses i need in my life!

3 Likes

Feel is important to me, and to that end Schecter is king. So smooth, fast, playable. I have the Stiletto Stealth. Was trying out basses, some of them $1,000+, and I kept coming back to the Schecter because of how it felt in my hands (sounds really good too). Given, that is me personally. Has a p bass pickup and an MM. Now let me tell you a “secret”.

Tone is affected by amp, cab, pedals, pickups, and strings WAY MORE than the bass itself. Point being? Find a bass that feels good and is comfortable for you to play. I find Schecter to be that. If you have a rig that gets a tone you like you could plug in a $150 squire and it will sound really good.

That said my Schecter sounds better than my Yamaha TRBX304, but it also has better pickups. If you liked how a $150 squire FELT? You could upgrade the pickups and improve the tone a lot.

Hope my rant helped. I absolutely LOVE my Schecter, and will upgrade in the future to different models. They craft such a playable bass!

3 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback @kerushlow!
I feel like either the ESP or the Schecter will be a great choice.
I know what you mean about upgrades. I have a Fender P bass and I upgraded the pickups to Duncan Quarter Pounders and love it.
Right now my “rig” consists of a Zoom U-24 to plug into my mac for garage band recording or a vox bass headphone amp. Small condo so limited space. When the pandemic is over and I can find people to play with I plan to get an amp and other gear.

2 Likes