Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Earthquaker Erupter, Fuzz directly from the volcano. Volume boost to be used with moderation… or not. Cheerz, I’ll check out the Plumes on Youtube.

2 Likes

Holy crap, I LOVE that bass. Pantera is my favorite metal band of all time. I even got to see them live 4th tow at OzzFest. Dime is my favorite guitarist and I always loved his guitar. Seeing a bass shaped that way…oh MAN that is tempting! That’s like a tribute to Dime while playing bass! Thanks for the GAS man! Lol

2 Likes

Can i order one Joerg, @joergkutter,
that is awesome :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

That would work a treat Toby, @T_dub,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Looking at it today I love it even more. It’s that little purple neck-thru bit behind the bridge that takes it over the top.

4 Likes

I am waiting my first Fender. It will be a Fender American precision bass. Can’t wait to play with that. I will take some picture when it will arrive

5 Likes

It took me a while to figure out why I wasn’t playing my Streamer very much. The tone is great, it’s a nice bright modern P/J, well made, interesting neck that manages to be both thick and fast, etc. but it just never fully clicked.

It turns out it’s the neck positioning that was bugging me.

Spector Euro LX’s and Warwick Streamers have this thing where the body is kind of long and narrow, with a good bit still behind the bridge. With the Streamer it’s probably partially due to the two-piece bridge system; with the Spector, it’s just the position. In any case, the net effect is the neck feels like it is about 3cm or so to the left of where you would expect while fretting. And the little extra reach there was just throwing me off a bit. Not enough to be a problem, just enough to be a bit odd. And it took things in a direction that wasn’t for me; I’d prefer trending shorter rather than longer for that reach.

So anyway. Another case of how there’s no substitute for playing the crap out of something in a store before deciding to buy it. And I owned two of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I saw Pantera 7 times, 4 times with White Zombie, then I saw White Zombie another 3 times, once with Slayer, once Headlining the Palladium in Hollywood, and once on Halloween with Danzig (craziest show I have ever been to in terms of straight out psycho violence, rolling pits around 10ft high bonfires. Danzig gets some crazies for sure
I actually dressed as Rob Zombie at that halloween show.
I wish I had some pictures, I looked alot like him.
People in the parking lot on the way in kept approaching me trying to talk to me and get autographs.
But when we got there, walking in, they were just taking the stage, and I was like, don’t you hear that on stage?

Fun Times.

1 Like

Slayer and Pantera must have been crazy high energy. The Slayer mosh pit I saw was the most insane and violent one ever. I steered clear, but enjoyed the show!

1 Like

It arrived yesterday and wow its so smooth

4 Likes

The Sire Marcus Miller?

Congrats and hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it, @J-and-T . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Haha, I thought it was a pity to not get the neck-thru exactly match the wings, but it’s probably impossible… :wink:

2 Likes

It is perfect just like it is. Just so… wow. Hideous and yes totally gorgeous.

1 Like

Go see a Danzig Show, especially on Halloween.
Or go to the Black fest he puts on.

Made slayer look like a high school slow dance.

I saw Slayer with Anthrax and Lamb of God and somebody else, when they kicked off their farewell tour back in 2018, it was the first show of the tour in Irvine, Orange County, California.

It was great, and the pits were good, but not so bad that my 47 year old ass couldn’t get in and hang. Course that was before all the issues I have had since Jan 2019. I would go to a show, but would be sitting somewhere.
I don’t mind sitting close to the shit, I just don’t have the knees to be running backward thru a circle pit these days. If I get some knee replacements later this year, I am back in it.

I was at a punk rock fest in San Bernardino fair plex (now just about anything in San Bernardino is a bad idea, but F it, we were young and dumb and drunk and loaded, and it was ok…was kind of a bummer cuz The Decendents only got to play like 3 songs, and there were 3 bands after them .Guttermouth played before them and was great, and the Decendents were starting strong, but there was a large Skinhead populaton out there in Brain Dead-a-dino (San Bernardino) and they started a fight that turned into a barn room brawl that stopped the show.

And that was not a typo, it was a Barn Room Brawl, not Bar Room. it was in a barn at the farigrounds, so it was pretty big place with between 3000 and 5000 fans there. it got pretty sketchy, and I was with about 4 buddys, and we all had our women with us. we found them safe passage, and got to the car and b-lined straight for the Coast, and about 2 hours later, were back in Huntington Beach, at another bar with punk rock juke box.
It was early, the sho stopped before 8. we were at a bar in HB by the time it was starting to get filled up. so it was ok

But, aside the Danzig concert, that was about the craziest kind of mosh pit show. It doesn’t fully count, but ehh, you get the idea.

Danzig, at the upper section at The Verizon Ampatheater in Irvine (that is closed down now to make apartment homes). is pretty high up there and it is a big grass section and circles not quite 180 deg around the stage, but a good 135 degrees sounds right.
it is a pretty steep slope, you could snowboard down it, about as steep as a super pipe, but spanned out the 135 degrees.

There were at least 3 bonfires up there, raging abpit 20 ft in diameter and going 10-15 ft in the air. IDK wtf they even started to burn, but they found alot of something and set it up in flames.
The pits around the bonfires went about top to bottom of the lawn area, smashing alot of people up against the small railing that is on top of a 6ft wall. that is barrier to the next section. So you are standing where the heads of the other people in that section below are walking by. it is abot a 6-8 ft gap from that wall to the rear seats of the next section, so like Row Z of the Loge or Terrace section, and that is the walk way.
At one point, I was down there about 10-15 people back from the railing, I don’t like to get smashed like that, I am clausterphobic, so I stay on the outside of it.
The people that were pitting, running up to the top, and circling around and running down towards the railing, circle around and back up to the top.
It looked like an olympic bicycling veledrome, the oval they ride circles around, it was about that shape and size, top to bottom.
Well
As people picking up speed and dripping and falling and pushing and punching, and locking arms then flinging one of the people at the end of the chain,
Well
Some that were going to fast, or pushed, or hit, or flung, or just plain decided to run full bore and hurdle , they were flying over the heads of the people at the railing, and landing anywhere from on the people walking by, to the people in the last rows of seats up there, to even about 4-5 rows down, like row V or W.
There were lots of people going over like that, and many of them were being helped up and out by security (not cuz they did it, cuz they needed medical attention) and by rescue paramedics, police and firemen that were on standby.
Lots of people on stretchers in the parkinglot waiting for ambulences to come back after a drop off.

There is a very large Hoag Hospital about 3 miles away, and a very large new Kaiser right there as well. That is all fine and dandy, but when this show happened, in like 92 I would guess, maybe 93, those hospitals were orange trees and strawberry fields, so it was of no use. I think the closest hospital at the time would have been mission or laguna, and they each would be a 20-30 min drive.

I have been in many pits, in many different types of pits, metal pits , thrash, punk, and this was a world of its own.
I have never been scared for myself at a pit before. I have had to get my wife (at the time) out of some sketchy places when pits broke up around where we were standing, and I get her to a safe place, and I go back for more.
But this time, I was like, um. Nah, lets not stay up here in the lawn. (of course, Lawn was cheap seats, and that is what we had, but that never bothered me, I can talk, sneak or rush my way thru most of the areas to get to the section I want to get to.

In front of the stage was every bit as crazy, just no bonfires, but the orchestra and the other section down lower with seats was actually pretty mello, and a great place to see the rest of the show. so thats where we went.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to add (in this post, I said it in the last one). I was dressed like Rob Zombie for halloween, so we had no trouble getting in anywherre we wanted to sit.

2 Likes

Nah, I agree with your first sentiment @howard

it is FUGLY, with a Capital F and U and G and L and Y.

If you want to do a multi color with some style, I would go Ibanez BTB.
I just wish I could find it in a 4 string. Not really, not gonna buy it, but a 4 string would just be nice to know it is a possibility. and it might be, IDK for sure, I just have not seen one in my few minutes looking.

And while I was looking, I found a few cool basses. Lobster reviewed a model of theirs, and while he only gave it 3 claws, it was partly cuz he did not like the head stock, and also cuz it was passive, but everything about it is COOL AF. I want one, and I would mod it with a pre-amp if I decided I wanted more tone options, but I might like the range it has, I liked his review.
They use some of the best of the best hardware choices and it is extremely well built, neck, frets, tuners, bridge, the whole thing is really cool.
I think if I were to buy a bass today, this might be what I would pick.
(of course I am not buying a bass today, or anytime soon, so it is a moot point, but, just sayin.)

Cool name too, Fret King. apparently they are a high quality builder in the UK and may even be a little popular over there. Do any of you english folk know much about these?

And this cool blue, and other colors as well. white, black, and a few others.
Other styles as well, the blue one is actually a slightly different styls.
It uses a music man looking pick up, but it has the top row with 4 poles and the bottom row with 8 poles. ( I actually have that pick up in my watched items, I might try it some day on a ray).

And why we are having fun, this Lakland caught my eye.
I don’t think I have ever seen a finish like this, it is a snow white burst / natural, thats how they list it on Reverb.
but it is like a revers burst, or 1/2 a burst??? it gives a really weird and odd illusion, like the edges are see thru, like a ghost almost.
I think it is cool AF
tell me what you think.

Last but not, well, yeah, last and least.
Not least money, but least bass. it is a short bass with 15 frets, but the bridge is all the way at the end of the body, so it makes it like a full scale, with a short neck.
They are not cheap, cuz they have not been made in 50plus years. (at least the ones I see on reverb, I have not looked ut the history of Danelectro) but they look kind of cool. I think it is the bass that Fat Mike plays. not sure if it is exact, but I think it is pretty close, and I like his sound, and I like the group, so I am biased a little towards wanting to at least play this bass, and play some NOFX songs on it.
it looks like a bass that would be pretty easy to play very fast.

so, here are my sexy basses I had my eye on today.
I took up time talking about shows, not on topic, so I got it back on topic in a big way.

If that is the bass that Fat Mike plays, exactly (and I would have to analize. it looks similar, but it could be a custom made copy he plays) he must go around and buy alot of them, cuz he throws them at every show when they are done playing, he throws it to the stage man. I am sure they have dropped a few, and he has thrown it on stage at the drummer and at the amp, so its not like he has just one and makes it last, I dont think

If you know more about this bass, or any of them with experience, or facts, I would love to hear them, point out where I am wrong, so that I can stand corrected, and be right for a change.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. But fugly in a way I love :slight_smile:

1 Like

you must be its mudder, cuz its fugly in a way only a mudder could love.

1 Like

Love Danzig, but mostly his first 3 albums and some misfits. Sounds like a crazy pit. I said Slayer because of the ones I have seen, they were the only ones sliding their metal spiked wristbands onto their fists and hitting each other with a metal trash can! Lol.

1 Like

it’s definitely gonna stand out in a crowd for sure

I would go so far as to say mainly his first 2 albums, and a little Samhain.
I am not a HUGE Danzig fan, and the guy himself, is pansy, prima donna , sissy boy for a devil worshiper. There is much about him that turnes me off, but he has that great bluesy metal thrashy rock n roll that is just so good on the first two albums. what was the third, Lucifuge? that was OK too, but ! and 2 were best IMO.

IMHO, the Ibanez BTB. would stand out in front of it. but yeah, they would create their own little crowd. The Spector is the (damn, whats the word I am looking for? the friend that makes the other friends look better. er, what do they call that again?)