Anyone else tried/using Yousician?

Due to the lockdowns we’ve had here and a few psychological issues (:flushed:) I’ve not gone down this path.

3 Likes

13 Likes

That pretty much captures my philosophy completely. :grin:

2 Likes

Bass, sax, dog.
I’m good.

5 Likes

That sums it up beautifully :joy:

2 Likes

Check out this thread as well:

4 Likes

I hear you and understand. It’s a bitch and virtual jams just aren’t the same but right now there’s not much choice, especially with winter coming on.

I guess I should have asked if you have ever jammed with other musicians.
Sorry about that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Many moons ago @Celticstar I was rhythm guitar in a garage band knocking a bit of AC/DC, Status Quo , Rush type stuff out.
Great times but a lack of support and the discovery of fast girls and faster motorcycles killed it off eventually

3 Likes

@Mac Sounds familiar to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

I only asked because a lot of people do not realize how much fun it is to play with others.
Garage bands are one thing, Jam sessions in general are different. IMHO

The usual reasoning beginners just play by themselves is that they do not feel they are good enough to join in. To them I would say just go and sit in and see what the jam session(s) are about, it is surprising how much information you can pick up. Of course with the current COVID crap this is not really a viable option.

I gave up on bands years ago because I got tired of the politics and egos, usually from the lead guitarist or singer :rofl:

4 Likes

4 Likes

I took advantage of the deal as well and bought a year’s subscription but haven’t had the time to play it yet.

2 Likes

@John_E I purchased the PianoInaFlash course a couple months ago, and it’s really helped me get back in the groove on the keys. It’s expensive as hell, but Scott is a great tutor and has a nice easy-going style.

3 Likes

I hadn’t heard of RockSmith but I think this guy does a good job of comparing them.

2 Likes

I have Rocksmith as well but like Yousician I haven’t had a chance to dive into it yet

1 Like

I installed Yousician on my phone a couple years ago and looked it over, but it seems like too much of a game to me, so I passed on it. Same reason I was never interested in Rocksmith. My sons played on Rocksmith when they were teens and they really enjoyed it, but I don’t think it made either one of them any better at playing music.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.
That’s the impression I also got when I looked at their website.

2 Likes

Nothing will make you work on perfecting your timing anything quite like playing the “game” on yousician. Getting all gold stars is relatively easy, getting a perfect score and topping the leader boards is extremely difficult and takes a lot of effort and perfection.

Also don’t play it on a phone if you want to really enjoy it, play it on a pc through an audio interface.

I don’t see it as any more of a game though than any other way of playing music to a backing track… I’m always trying to get better and perfect things, yousician is just a tool for doing that and it makes it easy to do it too.

One thing that’s really nice when working through fast/difficult songs is its really easy to slow them down with the slider and loop sectiins. I’ll start at like 50%, then loop a section and play through that until I don’t miss any notes for 3x through and then I’ll increase the speed by 5 or 10%. When I get that section done 3x at 100% I’ll move on to the next section. When I’m done all the sections I’ll do 1+2, then 1+2+3…until I play through with no missed notes. Then I might keep on working to get it as perfect as possible if I really care about it.

Level 9 is the highest on bass, it’s taking me a long time to get through it, it’s all extremely fast metal type stuff and 3 finger triplets that I don’t really care much about… I have found a level 11 and I think a 15 song :open_mouth:

I have rocksmith, I’ve tried to like it, I just don’t. Yousician I love, esp their yousician original songs and their stuff for special occasions like Christmas. They always have new stuff to keep things interesting.

4 Likes

It is, but, when you compare all this live lesson stuff to online, online is a bargain.
I will check out the free stuff on it and see if it goes in my learning queue, which as you know is way too damn long.

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Thanks for your post, it helped me to become more familiar with how to navigate Yousician.

2 Likes