Anyone else tried/using Yousician?

4 Likes

I took advantage of the deal as well and bought a year’s subscription but haven’t had the time to play it yet.

2 Likes

@John_E I purchased the PianoInaFlash course a couple months ago, and it’s really helped me get back in the groove on the keys. It’s expensive as hell, but Scott is a great tutor and has a nice easy-going style.

3 Likes

I hadn’t heard of RockSmith but I think this guy does a good job of comparing them.

2 Likes

I have Rocksmith as well but like Yousician I haven’t had a chance to dive into it yet

1 Like

I installed Yousician on my phone a couple years ago and looked it over, but it seems like too much of a game to me, so I passed on it. Same reason I was never interested in Rocksmith. My sons played on Rocksmith when they were teens and they really enjoyed it, but I don’t think it made either one of them any better at playing music.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.
That’s the impression I also got when I looked at their website.

2 Likes

Nothing will make you work on perfecting your timing anything quite like playing the “game” on yousician. Getting all gold stars is relatively easy, getting a perfect score and topping the leader boards is extremely difficult and takes a lot of effort and perfection.

Also don’t play it on a phone if you want to really enjoy it, play it on a pc through an audio interface.

I don’t see it as any more of a game though than any other way of playing music to a backing track… I’m always trying to get better and perfect things, yousician is just a tool for doing that and it makes it easy to do it too.

One thing that’s really nice when working through fast/difficult songs is its really easy to slow them down with the slider and loop sectiins. I’ll start at like 50%, then loop a section and play through that until I don’t miss any notes for 3x through and then I’ll increase the speed by 5 or 10%. When I get that section done 3x at 100% I’ll move on to the next section. When I’m done all the sections I’ll do 1+2, then 1+2+3…until I play through with no missed notes. Then I might keep on working to get it as perfect as possible if I really care about it.

Level 9 is the highest on bass, it’s taking me a long time to get through it, it’s all extremely fast metal type stuff and 3 finger triplets that I don’t really care much about… I have found a level 11 and I think a 15 song :open_mouth:

I have rocksmith, I’ve tried to like it, I just don’t. Yousician I love, esp their yousician original songs and their stuff for special occasions like Christmas. They always have new stuff to keep things interesting.

4 Likes

It is, but, when you compare all this live lesson stuff to online, online is a bargain.
I will check out the free stuff on it and see if it goes in my learning queue, which as you know is way too damn long.

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Thanks for your post, it helped me to become more familiar with how to navigate Yousician.

2 Likes

It’s really become an obsession for me.
Great feeling when you play something absolutely perfectly and the weekly challenges certainly add a bit of spice to practice

4 Likes

It amuses me how many more people are doing guitar vs bass. You get top 5% in bass and you’re in the low double digit spots. You do that on guitar and get like 1300th spot :joy:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Rocksmith 2014 is something like $15 one-and-done on steam, and there’s tons of free songs to download.

Just for a pricing comparison :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had the original Rocksmith on Xbox 360. I loved it, especially when you did a ‘gig’. If you played well, you got an encore performance.

They took that mode out of 2014 which was a huge fail IMHO.

I also moved to Xbox One and the lag became too bad to make it playable and I didn’t want to buy gear to use the optical sound out. I also got annoyed with the lessons. Some of them just refused to acknowledge things like you were bending a string.

How does Yousician work, can you plug in, or does it just listen?

Yes, you can plug in but you’ll need something like this as an interface between your bass and your computer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR6Z1JB?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Cool, thanks. I wonder if you can get away with the Rocksmith cable (guitar/bass to USB) or my Yamaha THR10X amp which I’m using with Reaper. I’ll probably get an interface eventually, but at the moment the THR seems to do the trick. My Blackstar amp has USB as well, but that’s a guitar amp.

Can you elaborate on this for the technophobes please @NipperDog

1 Like

You can use anything that works as an audio interface and can use an asio or Windows audio driver. A guitar amp with USB audio interface will work fine, just don’t play low bass tones really loud through its speaker.

If it works with reaper, it should work fine with yousician

1 Like

I’ll be curious to see how it works on my setup as my audio interface is hooked to a mixer and the laptop where I’ll run Yousician. The only thing I’ve tried so far is my microphone but not with the computer…only through my monitors.