Anyone ever regretted selling a bass?

I have 3 short scales, and thought I was pretty well set… until I recently got the idea that I now absolutely need an acoustic bass. (just as a fun thing to pick up and practice with, and not plug in)

I found a used Ibanez PNB14EOPN on Reverb, and just ordered it yesterday. My first thought was to adhere to a “one in, one out” mentality like some people practice. (especially some married folks like myself, in order to keep the peace)

My Sterling Stingray and Squire Jr Jag get the most love, so my Gretsch Jr Jet II has become the odd man out. Beautiful instrument, feels and sounds great, but in order to make room for the new one, decided it must go. I got the box down from the attic and was about to start taking photos… but then thankfully, I sat down and starting playing with it a bit. (and knew instantly I could not say goodbye!)

I think I will just keep the Ibanez out of site for a couple of weeks once it arrives- I have a birthday next month, and it will just become my present so my wife won’t have to shop this year. So yes, now there will be four.

Hopefully this will satisfy me for awhile!

But I would like to hear if anyone has sold a bass and lived to regret it.

9 Likes

Lots of them. I think I like buying as much as playing so buyer/seller regret comes with the territory. Oddly one I really regret, was this one cheap squier affinity jazz bass that after much work, played and sounded fantastic. I traded it in for next to nothing. Why oh why?

6 Likes

Are you kidding? My first bass ever was a Danelectro Shorthorn that I bought used for $20, IIRC (this was a really long time ago). This was followed by an Epiphone Newport ($65 used) and finally a brand new Fender fretless Precision Bass ($250 or so).

A vintage Shorthorn recently sold on eBay for $857 and there is a Newport listed for $1,600. My 1970 P bass was one of the first fretless basses made commercially, and one in good shape can fetch upwards of $4,000 - if you can find one.

Even aside from the monetary considerations, I really, really wish I had hung onto that P bass.

6 Likes

i’ve sold 4, and regretted only one. i would have regretted 2 more but i sold my sting ray to pay for a short scale stingray, and sold my bongo to pay for my dream bass (another bongo). but i had a red ricky 4003 that was very rare even back in the 90’s when i got it brand new from the factory. that one still hurts.

7 Likes

Sold two, regret neither. But one was upgrading a TRBX304 to a 604, and the other was upgrading a Streamer LX5 to a Streamer LX4 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh so many people have regrets about by gone gear. For me it was a Gallien Krueger 800RB amp head and a 4x10 Hartke cabinet. Having that gear around would have made my bass journey so much easier. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Life’s too short to have regrets unless we mention my Harley Night Rod :joy:

3 Likes

Selling a bass is like dumping a girlfriend. Sometimes you lose and get a bitchy cheerleader and other times you win and get the fantastic girl next-door. Of coarse there is the chance that you will get the insane nutcase down the street…the only time to dwell on the losses is when contemplating another…possible mistake. Think or it will drive you to drink.

4 Likes

i have always kind of preferred the nutcases

2 Likes

Almost forgot - I picked up a basket case Dan Armstrong bass for 150.00 back in 1984. Fixed it up and sold it for 200 to a friend. He’s still has it, and I have one more regret.

2 Likes

To this day, I deeply regret selling my Yamaha BB735, so much so, I still look at pictures of me and her, and watch my old cover videos with her.
Home page Lyin' Eyes

Today, I went so far as to message the buyer on Reverb, telling him if he ever wants to get rid of it, I will buy it back.
What a joyous occasion that would be.

6 Likes

It’s a fantastic bass but don’t be hard on yourself. You sold it for a good reason.

3 Likes

Ouch. That is a classic!

4 Likes

Indeed. I have a lot of love for that amp’s sound.

4 Likes

Somebody created a kit duplicating the preamp. @terb built one and posted pictures and a sound sample here. D.I.Y. Pedal building

3 Likes

Yep. Sounds awesome.

2 Likes

That DIY is really cool! That sound sample from Terb is super aggressive haha. But it’s still a shame that you sold the real deal… :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

That amp just sounds awesome and the preamp kit Laurent found would be a must-buy for me if I were still in to pedals and weren’t quarantined from electronics projects at the moment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like you enjoy self-punishment. :laughing: I actually got one of those new Legacy heads which sounds close to the original RB.

2 Likes

Those things look pretty killer, as do the Fusions

2 Likes