Anyone ever regretted selling a bass?

As one on the flip side of the minimalist argument, I really enjoy spending some time on one bass, then finding a cover that brings another bass’ tone out, and really enjoying moving to that one, and on and on.

I do tend to come back to 2 basses for all lessons, real practice, etc just for consistency, but really like the variety in playing tunes.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s minimalist, more that I go vertical rather than horizontal :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have two bases I will get, and will sell two or three basses to make room. I will get a 6 string probably next year, and an LTD Surveyor 87. I am really happy with the bases I have. Speciifcally the Paranormal, which is finally issue free, the Fender Jag, which still has the upgrade to go through, and Squier CV P Bass with the Geezer pickup. Sometimes it’s simplicity is nice. The other ones are nice but luxuries.

3 Likes

I agree with @howard I’m happy with two basses, maybe three at most. Although I may seem flamboyant at times, I am truly quite minimalistic. I can’t get into the multiple bass thing at all, but I can understand why some people do.

3 Likes

I think you need a second MIDI controller.

:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

It’s actually on the FedEx truck on it’s way to my house right now. So, for today, I WILL have two MIDI controllers, at least until I box up this M-Audio one and ship it back to Sweetwater.

2 Likes

@leonard

Wow… 20 in 3 years, might very well be bassbuzz official record! Think I’ve bought and or sold 7 total instruments in my first 4 years of discovering music. (But now down to one guitar and two bass)

Glad you were eventually reunited with your Squire Jazz. Always fun when you can find an old friend.

5 Likes

Update: When I had messaged the guy that purchased my BB735 and told him I’d be willing to buy it back, he said he was contemplating buying a different bass and would probably be selling the BB735. We left it with “I’ll let you know toward the end of August”.
I touched base with him today, and he told me he had traded it in at a local music store for another bass. I bit my tongue and didn’t spew all the cuss words that were foaming out of my mouth, and just asked for the contact information to the music store.
Unfortunately, the music store already sold it to someone else.
Rosie is gone forever; all that’s left are my great memories, cover videos, and her pick guard.
It’s time to just move on…

10 Likes

That’s too bad, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :frowning:

I’m really sorry to hear that, and hope you get over it quickly.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19 I’m sure I will.

3 Likes

That sucks big time - very sorry to hear! You made a valiant effort! And, who knows… fate might still have it in store that you re-unite one day :smile:

5 Likes

@PamPurrs well that’s crap.
Just finished a book today called “The Basic Laws Of Human Stupidity”….and now fully understand actions like this. Pity him, for he is unable to not be, well……

3 Likes

I had, back in the 90’s, a really nice japanese Bass called Tune. I used all the money I could save and earn in it. Even sold my car. In todays value of money it’s about 3800 $. Don’t know how much higher it would be, since all 90’s instruments tend to cost more nowadays. I did sold it few years later, in desperate situation, with half of that I payed. Never got over that loss… I did ask few years ago, from the person I sold it to, if he could sell it back to me, He politely refuced… I don’t blame him, it’s one of those basses, that you just can’t get anymore.
Well, thats my bad choice… that I will regret for ever! :hot_face:

6 Likes

That stinks.

3 Likes

20 was a conservative estimate too :flushed:

2 Likes

Well @PamPurrs you did well not to give that guy a real cussing!
I’m very sorry he was such a jerk and hope the fleas of 1000 camels infest his a**hole

3 Likes

Sold a bass… sorry, i don’t understand what you’re talking about :joy:

from Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

Nope. I’ve sold some amazing guitars & haven’t regretted it. The first was a 1994 custom shop Gibson Advanced Jumbo. It was hand built by the head of the Gibson Custom Shop, Ren Ferguson, and John Walker, who now builds $30k arch tops. I sold it to buy my son a very decent used car & got enough out of it that it also paid for another semester of college tuition. No regrets whatsoever. The next was the Collings 290 I sold/traded for my LsL p-bass. It was an amazing guitar, but I was never going to play up to its potential. Now someone else can love it and I have my very cool p-bass. Again, no regrets.

3 Likes

I agree with the @howard criteria. I have two basses, something like an old VW Beetle and a classic Porsche. I don’t need more. The third bass, the one that started all this conversation, has been up for sale but the market is flooded with basses on sale and everyone only wants cash, no trading. Some at half the price they had 6 months ago. It says a lot about the current situation.

3 Likes

Pfff what an ass move…

3 Likes