Anyone experience with Fodera strings?

Fodera are one of the few who offer complete E to C string sets (as opposed to finding an individual (matching) C string to a standard 4-string set).

Anyone playing Fodera strings right now or who has tried them in the past?

2 Likes

I havenā€™t personally used them but given the price/reputation of their guitars, I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d put some cheap crap strings out with their name on it.

A quick glance at reviews looks like theyā€™re comparable to DR Strings with some people noting theyā€™re a little on the bright side.

3 Likes

I did. It was at the last SoCal meet up. @booker_t brought 3 of his Fodera.
I played on 3 basses both flats and rounds, they sound amazing, deep and bright on the rounds and quite satisfying underwater thump on the flats. Of course, they are on 3 amazing Fodera so Iā€™m not sure which credit goes to what. :joy:

Thereā€™s also a cover that was played on the YinYang just amazing.
Iā€™m putting a set of rounds on my Leland Sklar Warwick Star bass I think that would be an awesome match. Iā€™ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Al1885 and @mr.crispy :smile:

1 Like

@joergkutter, on Fenderā€™s I played Fender strings, Sadowsky strings on my Sadowsky, and Foderaā€™s on my Foderaā€™s. It wasnā€™t until this forum directed me to LaBellas Flats that I tried a different non-bass brand string, lost my mind, and now have them on all of my Pā€™s. I havenā€™t experienced that with rounds of any brand. Perhaps, as I venture out with different rounds, and my skill and feel improve, I will find that string for my active basses. I may try the @MikeC TIā€™s, but other rounds/nickels (including the new Fodera/ DRā€™s)is a definite.

What I will tell you about Fodera strings is that just a few months ago, after having their strings made by a few (Iā€™ve heard 3) people, Fodera strings are now Fodera-DR strings (Fodera x DR Strings ā€“ Fodera Guitars). I havenā€™t purchased any of the new Fodera brand strings, but be aware that the strings are now made by DR.

Note: @Al1885 I had JUST had Dr Blues (forum recommendation) put on the active Foderaā€™s prior to our meet-up. LaBellas were on the Fodera and Fender Pā€™s. By the way, has anybody told you that youā€™re pretty good on bass?)

5 Likes

Yes, you definitely need to try the T-I rounds at some point - pure heaven (for me) :smile:

Not necessarily bad at all. DR Pure Blues (which you also tried) are my second favorite rounds (after the TIs).

OK, so I think I will give the Foderas a try as it is quite hard to otherwise find a balanced E-C set.

Thanks, Booker!

4 Likes

Havenā€™t checked lately, but Sweetwater (and perhaps other places) still had the ā€œoldā€ branded Fodera strings, with all places having the same price for strings. Foderaā€™s site had the new DR stings but shipping was crazy.

3 Likes

Thank you. I was thinking flats, I hadnā€™t even considered rounds or remember seeing any mention of them here.

3 Likes

Well, I will definitely order from a European distributor :wink:

Oh, at least myself and @MikeC do rave about them occasionally, but probably also others!

3 Likes

Thanks @booker_t did you see the New Year puppies? We lost all kinds of sleep last night :joy:

La Bellas are great the set on your P bass feels really good. The DR Blues has been around for quite some times now, I remember it was the first string upgrade I bought.

3 Likes

TI jazz round? Hmmm! You just cost me some pretty pennies, :joy:

5 Likes

I knowā€¦ but totally worth it (IMHO) :grin:

3 Likes

Yes! TI Jazz Rounds! Youā€™ll dig ā€˜em, @Al1885 and @booker_t.

4 Likes

I saw the post last night and was pissed you couldnā€™t see how hard I hit the ā€œlike button.ā€

Yep, shopping is about to commence.

Nuff said

4 Likes

Yeah I already happened, :joy:. I went with the lighter gauge 89-43

4 Likes

DR Strings are my favorites so I consider this a major plus.

4 Likes

Well, there seem to be only a few on the market. Thomann has Fodera x DR, Warwick and Dogal Jonas Hellborg signature. Warwick generally have so so reviews :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly! And the Dougals are very expensiveā€¦ so, Foderas it is :smile:

3 Likes

@Al1885 , I did as well. @MikeC recommended Pitbull Audio. I called and they matched the Sweetwater sale price.

@joergkutter . You bastard.

3 Likes

No need to thank me just yet :joy:

3 Likes