Ariane Cap

Is there such a thing as, “after the next pedal”?

3 Likes

I just got a copy of the book but haven’t jumped into it yet. Good to know it is well regarded here.

3 Likes

a next pedal

2 Likes

Actually, I am really close to done. I found what I think is going to be my Reverb pedal.
I have one more already coming to test, but I am pretty sure this will be it.

This is the web link to the MFG site

2 Likes

Looks awesome and only $66. I’ll be interested to hear your review.

2 Likes

Ariane is an incredible talent and knows her theory for sure. But if the course is like her book I felt personally that like many teachers she struggles occasionally with simplifying things for beginners. There were several times with her book that I really had a hard time following it.

6 Likes

Yeah, actually, I’m pretty close to done with my board I think. Nothing else I really need at any rate. I love every pedal I have.

3 Likes

I already love it.
The select / Save button in the center over the row of lights toggles between the 7 TYPES of Reverb. Each type has its own color.
Types
Room / Hall / Church / cave / Plate / Spring / Modulate.

This, in and of itself, is pretty standard, except the toggle between them, and changing color.
So, the only thing standing out from other pedals, most with the same TYPES, is the presentation, and I am in love with it. For my tired eyes, that have not seen an eye doctor, and live off dollar store readers, it is great. Plus the 5 larger size nobs, all with a line across the top, and a dot at one end, you can easily see how they are set.

Very sleek, good looking, easy to read pedal, really is impressive.

THE ONLY THING LACKING that might annoy some, there is no writing to tell you what reverb type matches what light selected. Might bother some, but I already can recall the order, and I played with it for 30 min so far, and I am writing this 4 hours later, sitting in the tattoo shop, so its not a huge obstacle for me.

NOW

There is more…

When you dial in the sound you like for the type you have selected, you can press and hold the select button, and it saves them. Then when you switch types, you can tweak it in, without having to worry about how the last type was set.
When you recall a TYPE, it you move any nobs, tge light blinks, telling you something was changed, so you can decide weather to save it, or ignore.

It is easy to factory reset, in case you want to start from scratch.

You can easily turn TAILS on / off.

All in all, another great find IMO.

I have played with it, and I liked the results. I did not have time to do side by side face off with the Boss RV-6 yet.

And, when I get home around 10:30, I will have the POCKETVERB which has the same 7 types, with or without delay as well.

I already think I would like this over the Delay options, but ya never know. I cant rule any out without playing thru them side by side by side.

More to come…

2 Likes

So I don’t continue to hijack this thread, I will continue any reports here.
I have some to report, no tests yet, but a score card on the three pedals.

4 Likes

I signed up this a couple of months ago and find it challenging. It is a significant step up from B2B. I use it in alongside SBL Players Path and find they complement each other well.

Ariane is an interesting teacher; if teacher is the right word. She doesn’t so much as try and make you a better bass player but encourage you to find your own way to becoming a better musician. There are some parts of the course that are typical learning but there is also significant sections where the aim is for you to try things out and experiment. E.g. the groove and fill units. Her style won’t suit everyone but she offers a money back trail so you can test out the first few units risk free.

6 Likes

Thanks @daviesg66.

1 Like

Good Lord, Mark is great. Kept up with her on a 4 string.

2 Likes

Just to add another opinion to the original question. I am currently doing Music Theory for the Bass Player Course (Cohort version), which is the course based off the book of the same name.

It is a 20 unit course. Each unit covers two weeks so takes 40 weeks all up (units are released fortnightly so you can’t rush ahead, which I have a tendency to do). You are assigned a ‘coach’ and there is a private portal where, each fortnight, you submit a video of the areas of the unit you committed to practice. You receive feedback from the others doing the course (your peers) and occasionally a coach (and sometimes Ari) might make a comment.

There are also monthly online Cohort hangs and an Ask Ari session, which people from any of her courses can join.

I’m into unit 4 of 20, so my thoughts ATM are preliminary and I’ll update when I finish it.

I like the structure of the course. I find the book a bit confusing on it’s own, so having her step us through it by breaking it down into chunks to digest over two weeks is very helpful for me and my learning preferences. I am not overloaded and by the end of the two weeks I feel like I really understand the concepts that have been taught.

The exercises she gives you involve you doing a lot of improvising to backing tracks, using the concepts being taught in that unit - I think this will be so invaluable to my playing in the future. Josh did some of this in B2B but this is next level. There is also some theory reading from the book, a quiz, but mostly doing exercises that involve the relevant concepts from the unit in question (eg: intervals, chords etc) and some practice of previously learnt concepts.

I like that each fortnight I have to commit to doing one or two videos of the exercises and then I have to submit them. This brings some accountability to the course - it works for me, but maybe others are more disciplined. I like having a clear structured learning path and a timeline.

My only real concerns are: You are assigned a ‘coach’ who in reality is someone who did the course previous to you and is not a bass teacher. They are great people and very encouraging, but they do it for free so depending on what else is going on in their life they may not be very present. For example, aside from a short hello at the very beginning, I have not heard or seen my coach for 8 weeks. As I say, they do it for free and are not bass teachers - more like cheerleaders for you and also to follow you up if you start missing submissions. They are probably more like buddies or sponsors. I think this part of Ari’s system could be improved and it most likely will be as the course develops and more feedback is received from participants. You do get feedback from others (peers) but it’s mostly just to say you’re doing a good job (which is fair enough too. I know I’m not going to start critiquing someone else when I don’t know what I’m doing myself).

The other issue for me is that I’m in an Australian timezone and this whole course is scheduled to fit in US/UK participants. I can’t join into the online scheduled events as they are at 4am. I understand this too as I know they need to draw the line somewhere and there are probably less of us in my time zone. I can however submit questions before hand and then watch it on catch up - so that’s ok. I’m also sure if I was really having problems with something I could directly email Ari, Wolf or Fred and they would respond pretty quickly - so I’m not too worried that I can’t get help if I need it.

So bottom line, I’m enjoying it. I feel challenged but not overwhelmed. I’m learning stuff that makes sense and when put into a musical context (the exercises) really makes sense.

I’ll update this when I’m finished (in another 30 weeks). I hope I don’t sound too critical as so far I’m loving it - just a couple small observations. I’m fairly confident that I’ll be a much better bass player if I stick with this and do the work. :+1:t4:

5 Likes

I’ve never done one of her cohorts, but have been in a couple of her practice groups. One thing I can say about Ari, she is way more personable than any of my other online bass teachers (Josh, Mark, Scott). What I mean by that, she becomes like a close friend and personally cheers you on. I have gotten so many very personal and helpful emails from her, and even a compliment from her on my website (Comment on my website that made my day).
The only thing that keeps me from doing more practice groups or a cohort, it the fact that structure does not suit me well. I am too much of an independent person (and maybe a bit too old) to abide homework assignments, schedules, deadlines and such.
She is a great bass teacher though, and she comes close to Josh and Mark among my favorites.

5 Likes

Yep, agree. I have studied with all three and they are all TOPS! :guitar::fire:

3 Likes

@PamPurrs or anyone familiar with the book. I’m a piano player of 25 years and studied music theory during undergrad (But brand new to bass).
It sounds like this is a great book, however, I’m concerned the material might not be too beneficial. I can read, write, name, and notate just fine. Would this book still be worth the price of admission? ($42 currently)

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

It is rather rudimentary, but worked for me. You may be better off getting her book on “Patterns”.

3 Likes

@ eric.kiser, I just finished all 20 units of the video course. I loved every minute of it. The course is much more than a structured way to go through the book. If you pay attention to how the lessons are structured, it’s teaching you how to practice so that you can learn fruitfully from anything.

Like others have said, Ari emphasizes development of your sensibilities as a musician. Timing, groove, improv…all are part of the method.

Like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. If you’re looking for shortcuts or quick tips, this ain’t it. Would say this is a natural next step after B2B, then take on her Patterns book (up next for me in 2023).

4 Likes

I have the book. It is very theory heavy (as the title indicates!) so you have to be committed. If not, you will get bored and drop it.

It is an amazing book. I love it and can’t imagine learning the theory without it.

If she has a course, it will likely be amazing as well.

4 Likes

Thanks @micklerd! I appreciate you getting back to me on this.

1 Like