Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Congratulations @EvenSteven !

3 Likes

Congratulations @EvenSteven

4 Likes

Congratulations @EvenSteven !

3 Likes

Well, I just graduated, took me right around 3 months from the time I purchased my bass. I did it all on a 5 string, which I know added some complexity, but well worth the effort. I still can’t slap to save my life, but I’m pretty proud with how far my finger technique has come otherwise. What a great course, I really hope we see an intermediate one sometime in the near future.

6 Likes

Congratulation @agorski !

Copied from the other thread…

Me too. The way @JoshFossgreen teaches made all the difference for me. I didn’t know how much I needed that in my life till I found it. I can’t speak highly enough about the Beginner to BadAss course.

5 Likes

Great job @agorski, congrats!

3 Likes

Congratz!!!

5 Likes

Congrats @agorski
I did the course on a 5 string also. I think doing so gives you somewhat of an advantage over learning on a 4 string.

3 Likes

Well, in general the music I want to play is better on a 5 string, so that was the reason for my choice. I also just love the low B string and how a 5 string looks. But, slapping a 5 string is definitely harder, that is the one section of the course that really frustrated me. I actually ended up buying a 4 string as a result and will go back to the slap section to see if I can improve my performance there.

5 Likes

There’s a local band here that has a female bassist that plays a five string and slaps quite well. I don’t know how she does it, but she does. It was her that inspired me to learn on a 5 string instead of a 4.
I don’t slap well either, but it doesn’t matter because I have zero interest in that type of playing anyway.

3 Likes

You may want to try a technique my private instructor has me doing for slap.
Use the side of your palm under your thumb, and your index finger (or others if you need to pop quick next) to form two points that connect to the body of the bass when you come down to slap.
keep your thumb loose and when you slap, let it act like a spring and bounce up by itself vs. you pulling it up. Then when you go higher than the lowest string (B in this case), the lower part of your thumb mutes the B string. Works for A string and up too. Takes a minute to get the technique but worth a shot.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that technique and have been trying it, I don’t know if it’s due to my strap length (position of my bass) or how my hand is angled, but I find it very difficult to do. I realize I need to practice more, and I will, but it is the sympathetic ringing of the B string that got me to buy the 4 string. I’m kinda glad I did, though, because I was developing 5 string habits that made playing the 4 string difficult at first. Now I’m jumping between both to make sure I can play both equally well.

3 Likes

Oh, I know it can be done, I’ve seen several tutorials on it, even using a 6 string… but muting is never really covered to my liking. Some say use the fretting hand, but I finger 1-finger-per-fret and try to do it precisely (my fingers are fairly curved) so I don’t have enough skin in contact with the other strings to really mute them. If I just lay my fretting fingers across the strings, I then don’t feel I have the proper dexterity to actually fret correctly with 2/3-fingers per fret basically.

Others mute with their slap hand, basically the palm of their slapping hand or sometimes farther up the forearm, over the strings close to the bridge, and do it so seamlessly you don’t even notice. But, again, the angle of my arm doesn’t seem right for that as my forearm isn’t really close enough to the strings.

I think I’m going to have to get an in-person teacher for that, but I also don’t have particular interest in music where you slap. I just want to be able to do it so I know I can do it, if that makes sense.

4 Likes

can also wrap your fretting hand thumb over and mute the B, many do that too.

1 Like

Right, I was trying to do that too. Issue there (for me at least) is trying to fret with my thumb wrapped around like that. Maybe my fingers aren’t long enough, not sure, but dexterity again became an issue. I know it sounds like a ton of excuses and probably comes down to practice and technique, but it’s definitely the hardest part of learning bass for me at this time.

3 Likes

yeah, slap takes a long long time going very slowly and to ramp up.
So much so that I put it on the back burner for a while, not because it’s too hard, but because I have other priorities that I want to focus on first.

4 Likes

I put slapping so far on the back burner, it incinerated. :rofl:

6 Likes

Congratulations @agorski !

4 Likes

Congrats @agorski ,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes