BadAss BassBuzz Alumni

Congratulations @Krescht!

5 Likes

… and the online “50 Songs” includes the musical notation in addition to the tab, thanks to @JoshFossgreen.

7 Likes

august 2020 first time through. plan on running through entire course again. only thing I skipped first time were the slapping modules. i will give it another go second time around.

6 Likes

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. You can still be a badass without slapping. Some of the baddest of badass bass players I’ve seen never slap.

6 Likes

Hey @Krescht, Chris,
I got the hard copy book as well👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@akos @Krescht @nblucas Congratulations to all three of you!

I don’t think @JoshFossgreen ever came out and said why he went digital with the 50 first songs. I believe part of it was for people outside of the US who sign up. As some people had reported large extra charges when he would try to send the book to them. Also, since he made it digital, he was able to include extra features and replace some of the songs where he felt the difficulty was out of proportion compared to the others.

If you received a book after 21 April 2020 then he was probably just sending out any remaining copies he had.

Here is the direct link to the… 50 First Songs Pack

And here is the discussion page… 50 Songs for B2B - Upgraded and Digital 🤖

Also, I’ve added both of these links here… BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide

If you do have the book, the two resources work well together.

9 Likes

Yes indeed! In particular he included the music notation which is missing from that book.

3 Likes

How many of you went back through the course for another round? Was it beneficial? I just started it again recently and decided to focus on reading the music as I play instead of the tabs. Since it’s all review I’ve been also practicing new songs from the 50 first songs book and checking out other lessons on youtube from Josh and talkingbass.

Basically trying to kill time as we wait for the intermediate course to come out lol

5 Likes

Just about halfway through for the second time @BrySquire :+1:
Also did it for the music theory but I’m enjoying a more leisurely pace through it this time around.

2 Likes

I’ve done it in bits and pieces, and yes it’s better the second time around; and a BIG yes it’s better reading the music than playing by tab. Trying to play by tab is a hindrance IMO. It’s so much more efficient to just look at the notes and let your fingers do the playing rather than looking at tab and thinking about which string and which fret to play.
Of course the Sight Reading course helped.

6 Likes

Completely agree. First time I was trying to stick to the 3 month plan and now it doesn’t really matter when I finish it :metal:

6 Likes

Great to hear that! And I agree on reading the music over tabs. It’s easy to understand but takes practice to do it smoothly. I think his course will be a great platform to put it into practice.

5 Likes

Many reasons! Like @PamPurrs said, including the sheet music felt like a huge upgrade, and also

That, big time. “Black Dog” was in the original book - no way in hell is that a beginner song!

5 Likes

Hysteria in there too, lol. Good luck beginners :slight_smile:

After the course, sure, good to attempt. Before that? Ha ha ha.

6 Likes

I would actually be happy to have those extra challenges. All the ones marked as hard are very accessible to me (to the point I’d say they’re easy). Major challenge must be stamina and not technique itself. Of course I know this is oriented to absolute beginners (or close) and it’s perfect for that purpose.

Here’s to hoping for a ‘Very Hard’ category in the future! :tropical_drink:

3 Likes

Same.
Funny thing is, I got the online course, and it was JUST before the cut off, so I got the copy of the Book, just before the online version was released.
The first song I started learning was “Black Dog”. I did not learn much of it, just started playing the iconic riff a bunch, and I found it pretty easy to learn.
Then the online version was released and I was told it was one of the hard ones that was left out. I thought it Ironic that it would be the song I gravitated towards first.
But I was not really expecting it to be considered HARD when I started playing it, I just thought, it was in the front of the book, must be one of the easier ones. LOL
One reason I found it easy to learn the iconic riff however, was because I know the sound so well, it was rather easy to fall into the groove with it.

3 Likes

Hey @T_dub,
Maybe you should make Black Dog your first cover​:+1: :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

“Make up your mind dude, is he gonna shit, or is he gonna kill us”
Jeff Spicoli
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Which is it gonna be Brian, you now have me doing two songs as my first :roll_eyes:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I did say I never bothered to learn the whole song, cuz I was just learning the beginning when that message came out.
I am still trying to get a decent version of an imported song with the bass removed enough to sound good playing over it.
It may be “Myage” by the Decendents tho. simple, fast, loud, short(er)

4 Likes

I can help you with that

3 Likes

Yeah, I have played with Brian and Lanny’s suggestions a little, by playing with the EQ frequencies. It just seems to not sound so great.
I was looking at some apps to split the songs, and downloaded the Neuro app or something like that, just have not tried it on my Imac yet. I think it is the same app that was talked about in this forum a few months back, and I tried it on my iPad, and the results were…ehhh. but GB on my iPad was harder to figure out then it is on my Imac too.

what suggestions do you have for this?

1 Like