BadAss BassBuzz Alumni

By far the best scene in that movie is Elliot’s traffic stop :slight_smile:

I laughed so hard.

I totally forgot he played Sid! He killed it in that role, great performance. Chloe Webb really stole that show though.

5 Likes

Yeah, it was great when she pushed the bag of coke up back in his face and he turns around and he is just like “uh a, uh, em, Hi?” it is a little too short to be a scene, but it certainly is one of the best clips of that movie.

2 Likes

Hey all

I finished the course New Year’s Eve 2020 - I had a background in guitar so I know enough to be dangerous but would also get myself in trouble. I’m wondering where you all went for your next step in learning once you finished the course. Would you mind sharing how you keep growing and learning? Maybe point me towards another course?

Thanks!

7 Likes

Congrats @Davidmhuey!

When you ask that question about advanced courses, you tend to open a can of worms. Be prepared to get all kinds of opinions about different courses. Ultimately, it’s on you to decide.
I have taken (or am in the middle of) several advance courses on TalkingBass: Specifically. Scale Essentials: Chord Tone Essentials: Walking Basslines: Sight Reading: Ear Training: Chords for Bass: I highly recommend TB, but ultimately you have decide which is most comfortable for you. I happen to feel very comfortable with Mark Smith as an instructor, but some others don’t.
If you search around, you’ll find a few thread on Scotts Bass Lessons, TalkingBass, Become a Bassist, and a few others.

7 Likes

Congratulations @Davidmhuey,
To further grow i would recommend to start playing covers or the songs you learned on guitar, or as Pam @PamPurrs suggests check out some of the other stuff online.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I don’t mind. It helps to know where others have been. I really like “Talking Bass” - but I didn’t know if there was a logical next step on his site either. Almost looking for one that says - intermediate bass - go here!

Thanks for the post.

7 Likes

Congratulations @Davidmhuey!

5 Likes

Way to go :+1:

you can now get your wallet.

5 Likes

completed

Started: 21-02-2020
Completed: 23-02-2021 (Yes, a year)

Will post my review in the reviews thread shortly!

14 Likes

Congrtatz, good work JT
Time does not matter, fast or slow, it is your own pace, and to post a 109/109 shows your pace paid off.
Great job
Welcome to your new found bad assness.
You can now get your wallet.

What is gonna be the graduation bass? got any in mind?

5 Likes

Congratulations @JT

5 Likes

Actually, I’ve already ordered this one as my graduation gift. Due to arrive in a couple months. :slight_smile:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/75th-anniversary-commemorative-jazz-bass/0177562833.html

15 Likes

Congratulations @JT,
Welcome to the Alumi,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Wow, nice bass, you have a thing for the fenders, nothing wrong with that.
They look so nice. I just have not had opportunity to play any, in such a long time, and some style, never.

5 Likes

The wood on that Fender body is gorgeous!

5 Likes

@T_dub I think it’s more familiarity and comfort. I learned on a Fender American Deluxe Fretless Jazz Bass 20 years ago, have a Squier Jazz Bass now and so I just stick with what I know. I also have small hands so find the slightly thinner jazz neck suits me. I also know what I’m getting if I order a Fender Jazz Bass online, where others are an unknown. I was considering a short scale, but the slight difference in tone isn’t to my taste. My next bass after this one will likely be me going into a store and experimenting, but I know I’ll be happy with this one for the time being.

@Mac - Agreed. I normally hate gold hardware, but with the way they’ve done the body, it just works on this one. That and the fact that they’ve gone full hog on gold. Even the fretboard inlays are gold toned. Just makes everything cohesive. Not sure what it will look like when the gold starts rubbing off, but we’ll cross that bridge then. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congratulations @JT!

4 Likes

Congrats @JT

5 Likes

Add my congrats to the others, @JT . . . :clap:

(and excellent choice for your graduation gift, too . . . it’s a beauty . . . :wink: )

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t mean anything bad about it. I like my Stingrays.

And agreed, that if I order a stingray online (and just get a single pick up, not a double pick up), I know what i will be getting, and I fully agree with that statement. unless you have time and a store close by to return the bass you order, it would always be a risk not ordering something you know, and especially with the higher dollar instruments, if you don’t get to try it, it would be very hard to order it online and cross your fingers you like it.
It is very smart to do that.

and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if you found another Fender or squire you loved, and there is nothing wrong with that. Of course, there are alot of nice instruments out there, you might like something else, especially if you like narrow and thin necks, there are the Ibanez SR, the Sterling Ray 4 and Ray 24 have very narrow and thin “Jazz Bass” size and shape necks, and there is the Yamaha TRBX, just a few that come to mind.
Schecter and ESP LTD make some really nice bases with super comfortable necks.

Of course I don’t expect you or anybody to just order one online without playing it in the store (unless that is the only way you can try it), and it would have been very risky to just get something like that for this Bassaversary or graduation present. but I think if you get to a store that has a good selection, those are some you may want to look at based on what shape neck you said you like.

2 Likes