Bass guitar straps

Having pain in left shoulder blade. Research into body mechanics suggested sling type strap with waist band and can be used over either shoulder. Any suggestions

4 Likes

How wide is the strap you currently use?

3 Likes

You may find a wider strap solves your shoulder issue. I have a Levy 4.5 inch wide strap on my heavy Jazz basse. Problem with that heavy bass were solved.

4 Likes

A lot of players here have experienced what you’re describing. I know I did.

I have tried to have a single strap for all my basses, but my journey led be to buy three, total.

The one I definitely use all the time now is a Levy’s 4.5-inch wide leather strap. It is crazy comfortable, and eliminated all my shoulder fatigue.

Right now, it’s on sale at Adorama at 50% off. I scooped up that killer deal.

4 Likes

If regular shoulder straps just won’t work for you, even wide ones, this company makes some innovative alternatives that look interesting.

3 Likes

2" regular guitar strap. I even have been sitting down and short scale bass is only 7 lbs. Also need to watch my body mechanics and sit up straight. Learning to not need to see strings/frets would help too. Thanks for suggestion. I think my friend has a wider leather strap that I never like on my acoustic guitar.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will look into it. I do not play bass for any length of time and am a beginner. Not sure how long I will stick with it(I am 79, got a late start LOL). Also don’t have anyone to play with. Before my guitar teacher passed away he would play melody and get me to play along with my mini bass.

5 Likes

A regular guitar strap is way too narrow for a bass. The weight is focused in one small area on your shoulder, causing fatigue or, worse, pain.

A very wide leather strap will likely do the trick for you. And, being on sale at half off, it’s a great time to get one. Good luck.

3 Likes

My discomfort is in my shoulder blade not shoulder/neck area. But I will certainly look into suggestions. Resting it and applying cold/hot packs has not seemed to help. Pain medicine for minor painful surgery helps but I don’t want to use pain meds much

3 Likes

I hear you. But the upper torso muscles and bone structure is so inter-connected, your pain is likely stemming from your shoulder and radiating down.

3 Likes

This.
For me was #1 pain issue. Nothing to do with strap width. Also for me, thinner straps made of soft leather work better than wider (which dig into my neck).

You have to try a few straps before you find what works for your body. I doubt you need a waist strap thing.

5 Likes

@sandyb1234 - I am also not a spring chicken, and although (so far) I have not had shoulder/shoulder blade pain from playing bass, I’ve had other aches & pains that come with the years. There are two physical therapists, “Bob & Brad,” who have many MANY videos for all types of pain, including these for shoulder. A lot of people like their advice.

#17 on that page is titled “Why Your Shoulder Blades Are Causing Your Shoulder Pain,” and might be worth a look (I haven’t viewed it yet myself). There is a related .pdf on the page for #17 that you may want to check out, also.

4 Likes

@Never2Late

:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info. I will try borrowing a wide leather strap from friend. Or any of the other suggestions. It’s not like I play for hours. Just about 1 hour a day(sitting) ding lessons

3 Likes

@sandyb1234 come back and let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

will do

3 Likes

I am a long retired physical therapist but things in the medical field change so fast. I will look into “Bob & Brad”. I have seen them before. Thanks. I will check it out. Thanks everyone for all the feedback

3 Likes

Thanks. I did try the wider leather strap before and found it much too wide for me and very uncomfortable

3 Likes

The right strap makes all the difference. Not just width, but a soft worn in strap helps too.

As for other suggestions, I play with a foot rest for my left foot, and my bass rests on my left thigh, almost like a classical guitar, helps my arm angle and posture overall.

5 Likes

Everyone

That’s how I hold my bass, but it hangs just barely above my left thigh.

Also, the Levy’s strap I use is wide, padded and made of soft leather. It makes playing very comfortable.

2 Likes