Bass guitar straps

Great information from everyone. Need to experiment with different suggestions. Meantime should I take a break from bass, any exercises, heat or cold packs? I try to stay away from pain medicine but am on it for a post surgical procedure right now?

3 Likes

Will take time to build your endurance, then one day you won’t be talking about this anymore.

Until then, if it hurts, stop.
Practice in smaller increments multiple times a day Vs longer fewer.

Push on but not to point of pain, find that balance point.

5 Likes

I hear myself saying the same advice to my friend who was teaching himself and doing it for hours and hours everyday. Guess I should listen to myself. I just hate being away from it. It gave me purpose, a goal.

5 Likes

When you can’t play…

• learn theory
  • listen to music, watch YouTube videos, it counts as practice
  • play little riffs for a minute or two throughout the day.
  • shop for gear!, dream.

It won’t be long before you don’t have to meter playing out as much.

4 Likes

I tried one of those and they work great. I think it would really help with your shoulder blade issue. The only thing I didn’t like about it (and why I returned it), it is a bit of a PIA to get on and off. But since you have that pain in your shoulder, it’s probably worth it.

3 Likes

That’s what I use also (I have 2 of them). They’re a bit pricey, but well worth the money.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs

Thanks. Great to get a review from someone who’s actually used a waist strap, Pam.

2 Likes

Not right now. adorama.com is having a 50% off sale on them: sale price $34.63.

Can’t beat that with a stick.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the encouragement

3 Likes

I also have a Levy’s split 3 inch that you can adjust with a pull tab. Much less expensive and still comfy.

1 Like

Looks like the 4.5” is cheaper than the split 3” on sale right now.

2 Likes

I may have to get 4.5’s for all my basses at that price. That is awesome!

1 Like

Yes, it is. I couldn’t believe how cheap they’re selling these Levy’s straps. Seems like a no-brainer.

1 Like

I have been on bob and brad all morning and am amazed at how much physical therapy I had forgotten. It has been about 30 years since I did work in the field and very long ago since I graduated college. Also found out about my right shoulder being lower than left and what to do about it.

4 Likes

That’s great news, @sandyb1234! Get down on it!

2 Likes

Willie Nelson, has a ultra wide strap that goes around his neck and comes to a central point in the front that then hooks to the middle of his Guitar, something like that may help Sandy

1 Like

Willie’s strap is for acoustic guitars, as it hooks on at the tone hole.

Incidentally, his very vintage guitar, Trigger, weighs virtually nothing.

3 Likes

There is, however, this harness contraption that does essentially the same thing for heavy-ass basses.

3 Likes

Thats exactly the one I tried a few years ago. It works well, but is a PIA to get on and off.
I had visions of being on stage, writhing around trying to get into that thing, while my band mates and the audience stared at me in amusement.
Needless to say, I returned it.

4 Likes

This one looks to be simple to use. It’s supposed to eliminate neck dive and, of course, shoulder and back fatigue/pain

5 Likes