Bass guitar straps

@MikeC Got a link for it?

2 Likes

Yep, here you go. And, if you end up getting one, please consider posting a review. :wink:

1 Like

That button by the neck that’s hooked to the belt is not in the normal spot. You can see the factory button on the top horn unused.

2 Likes

That’s correct. This belt-strap thing comes with a button that must be installed as part of the system.

2 Likes

Permanent mod to the instrument to make a strap work seems unfortunate. Not saying I have a better option though.

1 Like

That would work a lot better with a straplock system, just saying.

4 Likes

For players with debilitating shoulder or back issues, having to adding a strap button to an instrument is a small price to pay to enable them to keep playing.

2 Likes

:point_up_2::100:

1 Like

Unless, of course, there’s a better option that doesn’t require that.

Nothing wrong with a solution being imperfect, eitther.

1 Like

i have a simple levy’s 3.5" leather strap (and schaller strap locks) and both have been great so far, and the strap is only $20:

1 Like

I played a tenor sax for years. There were/are some wider and/or padded neck straps for that, although I’ve rarely seen anyone performing with them. That said, the narrow, conventional sax strap can sure bite into your neck after playing for an extended period of time.

Same with a guitar/bass strap, except on the shoulder or back versus the neck.

The point is: There might be other support systems for wearing a heavy electric guitar/bass other than a conventional, over-the-shoulder strap, but this belt-strap thing is a clever way to work with the human skeletal system. Bearing the weight of a bass on one’s hips/torso AND eliminating neck dive to boot? Damn, seems to check some serious ergonomic boxes to me. If I were in need, I’d gladly add a half dozen strap buttons to my bass and just regard them as bling. :grin:

1 Like

That’s cool, but @sandyb1234 started this thread asking for a solution for his shoulder blade/back pain. Hence, the non-traditional, alternative bass suspension suggestions.

1 Like

yeah - and he said he was using a 2" strap hence me posting about the 3.5" strap that i have found very comfortable.

2 Likes

I hear you, @mgoldst. I use a 4.5” strap to alleviate shoulder fatigue.

Just trying to explore the possibilities of solutions that might eliminate shoulder/back stress that over-the-shoulder straps can cause some people.

2 Likes

My MDB has an unsual shape and placement of buttons. Convention is the bridge button is along the center line of the bass, and the neck button is on a horn that extends around the 12th fret.

My MDB has the bridge button below the center line of the bass, and the neck button is on the plate where the neck bolts to the body. The body is very light, and the stout neck is most of the weight

And it doesn’t neck dive at all. So I can see where this @MikeC design could work.

The only thing is when you stand with yout hands off the bass the top pulls out slightly from your body, but I hesitate to mention it because it’s no issue to play

The MDB with the Destroyer body if anyone is unfamiliar

1 Like

Yeah, it’s interesting how strap buttons need to be positioned on an instrument depending on its body design and balance. They really thought through the button placements on your MDB.

I don’t know how universally applicable the belt-strap thing can be, but it seems to work with the usual suspects, e.g., Fenders, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the belt strap wouldn’t work on my Streams, but should on a conventional Fender shape. I just happen to own a high percentage of non conventional body shapes (4 of them)

2 Likes

I bought a Levy’s split strap but haven’t been able to use it due to some minor surgery. Hope to be back on it soon

3 Likes

Good on you, man. Let us know how it works out.

1 Like