Bass Recommendations?

Guys I need your insight and expertise.
I got the GAS sydrome and I am on the market for a bass to invest on.
I have a PJ and I want a versatile bass (genre-wise) in the 800-1200 USD range. Possibly, it should not weigh a ton (or my back will protest).
What would you recommend?
I have already looked at a Yamaha TRBX604, Cort A4 Ultra and A4 Plus, a Sire V8, Yamaha BB734, Ibanez SR600E. At the moment I can’t try them, so if it’s possible I’d like to hear from those of you familiar with those models.
Are there other brands/models I should consider?

1 Like

For the price of the A4 Ultra I’d go for the Schecter artist series
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CB4STBS--schecter-charles-berthoud-cb-4-signature-bass-guitar-see-thru-black-satin

I assumed that you are talking about new bass not used since you are the other side of the world. If used is on the table then there are quite a few cool options. Among a few top choices would be the Yamaha BB734A super awesome bass for the price.

1 Like

The tone on this one is insane! I know you have a few Yamahas in your vault. Which ones are your favorite?

1 Like

Yamaha? Well in fact of all of the basses I own by far my favorite is the Yamaha BBNE2. I have 2 of the same color acquired 17 years apart, first one was signed and delivered by the man himself.

In your price range I’d also recommend checking out the MIJ Fender Aerodyne.

If you like good design then the Ibanez Affirma is way cool, but it’s Ibanez tone.

Also in your budget a used MIJ Marcus Miller and the 51’ P bass is super awesome.
You can mod it later so you won’t blow your budget now. I Modded both of mine the Marcus Miller has the HipShot Vintage tuners and John East Marcus Retro. The ‘51 P bass has Lindy Fralin pickups and pre. Super cool

You can also get the cult following Medium scale Yamaha Motion Bass ii or iii. They are really awesome bass with the ladybug headstock. Usually run in the $500 range.made in Japan.

4 Likes

Whaaattttt? :smiley:

1 Like

These basses are awesome. The Aerodyne seems quite cool.

That Schecter Charles Berthoud bass is effing rad. If I wasn’t full up and really happy with my basses, I’d go out of my way to get one. What a… choice instrument.

2 Likes

The tone is insane. Full, rich, tight and precise all in one. Is that even physically possible? :smiley:

I have owned two BB734A’s and I am convinced it is the best bass you can buy under $1000. YMMV :slight_smile:

I also liked my TRBX604 a lot but the BB is next level.

2 Likes

Tone-wise it’s awesome indeed. I am a little concerned about the weight and the “too rounded” body end, Can that get in the way of smooth playing?

1 Like

I’ll toss another at you. The G&L L2000 and L2500 are among the most versatile passive/active basses made. You can find used US builds within your price range and new Tribute models (built by CorTek) for $800 and less.

https://glguitars.com/product-category/L2000/

https://glguitars.com/product-category/L2500/

I’ve owned a Tribute Series L2500 and now have a Tribute Series M2000 fully active version of this bass. As expected the build quality coming from CorTek is top shelf and the imports models use the very same MFD pickups and Saddle Lok Bridges as the US models making them tops from a value standpoint. Used Tribute Models are an exceptional value.

2 Likes

What do you think of this?
https://glguitars.com/product/fullerton-deluxe-basses-jb/

2 Likes

I am very sensitive to weight and it is not too heavy for me. And while I loved my P-Bass, I prefer the BB’s body shape - plus IMO it looks better :rofl:

2 Likes

CorTek is of course Cort (among many other brands) and they do indeed make excellent products.

3 Likes

Always check out their clearance page

One note, G&L has one of the most stable bridge on the market.

2 Likes

I would also highly recommend the Warwick RockBass series. So many cool models to choose my top would be the Leland Skylar Starbass, Corvette $$, Infinity, Idolmaker.

2 Likes

Hey Al just sayin if you want to write me into your will and leave me your bass collection I wouldn’t be upset :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

I’ll do my best to keep this one for you. The Troy Sanders PJ. The MusicMan are spoken for :joy: @MikeC and @AnotherJosh is doing the rock paper scissors

5 Likes

Personally I would buy a G&L JB over a comparable Fender any day and this is coming from someone whose first pro bass was a '66 Fender Jazz Bass and the three or four I’ve owned since including a MIA Deluxe Jazz. Just all around better features for less money.

I very much prefer the G&L Saddle Lok Bridge and I think you’ll find G&L finishes are second to none. It’s one of their trademarks as far as I’m concerned. Their Tobacco Sunburst would be my choice for that particular model. To give you an idea of how they look here’s a pic of the Tribute (import) L2500 I had in sunburst.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I would take the 50s P if I had a choice…

2 Likes